Go Bottom Go Bottom

Drill Press Question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-03          166694

My drill press seems to have a spring that lifts the chuck-holder back up when released. Can't figure how to tighten that spring.

It's a two-generation-old bench-model labeled "Delta." The up/down control is a lever on a horizontal shaft that goes right through. At the end of the shaft opposite from the lever is a pair of locking nuts, which seem to keep the shaft in place. Inboard of the nuts is a round cover 1.5" in diameter, half-inch thick. Pretty sure there's a wound flat spring inside this cover.

Anybody have a guess as to tightening that spring?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Drill Press Question

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-03          166696

I assume they are all the same, with a sporing inside a round housing on the left side as you face it?

On mine you back off both lock nuts enough to pull the housing out free of the spring end. Then while holding the circular housing tightly and also the end of the spring, rotate the housing only until the spring lines up to the next (or more) slot in the housing.

Turning the housing counter-clockwise increases the tension.

Note: The lock nuts do NOT touch the housing, turn them in until the inner on just touches the housing, then back it off a 1/4 turn, then lock the outer one down against it.

Best of luck. ....

Drill Press Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-11-04          166713

Thanks; that's what it looks like, and I'll try it. (Usually when I try this sort of thing, the spring takes off for the next province.) ....

Drill Press Question

View my Photos
Murf

2009-11-04          166714

I usually get it well secured before I try to slack anything off.

I use a pair of curved jaw vice-grips on the round part, not so hard it mars it though, and another small pair on the little end of the spring poking out.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login