Go Bottom Go Bottom

Removal of steering drag rod on Yanmar 1500D

View my Photos
wjsobolewski
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-23          156826

I am trying to remove the drag rod that is bent. I removed the cotter pin and nuts at both ends. I cannot remove the rod itself. I tried tapping it and it just does not move. Does anyone know how I can remove it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-23          156827

In the past I've used two heavy ball peen hammers to loosen up tight steering linkages. Take one in each hand and swing them together to strike the joint at the same time from opposite directions. This sort of squeezes the press fit and loosens it up. A good squirt of penetrating oil and overnight soak doesn't hurt either. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-24          156828

They do make a tool for such, that is basically a split wedge to drive the joint apart. You may also use a pully puller.

If you are not good at timing the swings as Ken is, if you have a real heavy hammer hold it tight and hit with lighter hammer. Do not miss his point on the oil. Not sure I would suggest it but heating the outside part may expand it enough to loosen the joint also. kt ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-09-24          156829

The tool in commonally called a pickle fork. You can get a hammer style or a pneumatic style. either will do the job. $10-$20 depending on quality. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login