Go Bottom Go Bottom

What to do - front loader

View my Photos
shansen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-12          156597

Well, I need some advice. I have a YM1300 with a tiller. I have a small blade that I push snow with on the 3 point also. Last winter I made a front loader for it. It was a great project, and fun. But, being me, I over built it a bit. When I got it mounted, it worked perfectly, but I feel it's a bit much for a 2x4 tractor. So I took it off and put it on eBay. Would have sold it fast because of the low price, but freight costs killed every deal. I now have a chance to buy a YM1500 4x4 for $3500 delivered. I could put the loader on it and sell the set, however, I'm thinking that when I play with it a bit I'll want to keep it. Total of tractor and cost of loader is $4500. I could sell it for about $5500- $6000 if I wanted to. So, question is this: buy the tractor, make it a set, or try to sell the loader separate, local?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-12          156601

To me, I would never consider buying a shop made implement like a FEL if I could not see it and test it. It would seem selling local would be the best options. kt ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-12          156602

I think you have a very small market of people willing to purchase a shopbuilt(homemade) loader while it has to be brand and model specific to fit as well.

My dad built one for a Farmall Super C. When cleaning up the estate, ended up selling the tractor, striping the cylinders and took the loader to the scrap iron yard. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-09-12          156603

Likely your homebilt loader is as strong or stronger than a store bought, but the liability issues of you selling it could wipe out all you have if someone gets hurt with it. Frank. ....

View my Photos
shansen

2008-09-12          156605

What liability issues? I am not a company. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-12          156606

But you are a manufacturer. kt ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-12          156607

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansen | view 156605
What liability issues? I am not a company.

If you can get sued when a traveling salesman trips and falls in your yard you sure can get sued if the FEL you built damages a tractor (even if misused) or is involved in a personal injury. It stinks but that's the way it is today. People seek to blame everyone but themselves, and some sue just to make money.

OTOH, if you have the purchaser sign a liability release then you might be OK. But then there are lawyers who want money to write one up. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-09-12          156609

A very wealthy lawyer once told me:

"Anybody with fifty bucks and a map to the courthouse can sue anybody for anything."

And I will add that it makes no sense to make yourself an unnecessary target.

Even if the lawsuit is eventually ruled as frivolous, you will have to hire a lawyer @$250.00 an hour to get there.

I like YooperPetes advice on this matter...... ....

View my Photos
shansen

2008-09-12          156610

Well, scrapping it really isn't an option for me. I'm checking with an attorney now, but I think a liability clause in the bill of sale signed by the buyer will do the trick. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-12          156615

Do let us know what the attorney tells you. kt ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-12          156616

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansen | view 156610
Well, scrapping it really isn't an option for me. I'm checking with an attorney now, but I think a liability clause in the bill of sale signed by the buyer will do the trick.

I am slightly puzzled but that is not odd. When you began you said you might want to keep it on the 4 wheel drive tractor you could buy. Your last post makes it seem there is no option but to sell it. What ever you decide I hope it works great for all. kt ....

View my Photos
shansen

2008-09-12          156618

True. Keeping it is an option! You know how it is when you get on a tractor....Hard to sell it after that... ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-12          156619

Yes it's true anyone can sue anyone, but they have to win a judgment first to win anything.

Homebuilt stuff is bought and sold all the time without agreements not to sue.

I'm not a lawyer, but did work for nearly a decade writing owner's and service manuals for the Big 3 that heavily involved the highest-level legal departments...like at GM when they released the---ahhhhem---not legal audio/video entertainment systems in minivans---but I digress :)

Kenny: I feel the word "manufacturer" doesn't apply here as he's (assumed) to not be a commercial entity. He simply "built" it.

However, that said, simply put a hold-harmless clause in the bill of sale AND include the verbiage 1. It was homebuilt for your own purpose, 2. Has not been designed, engineered, built or tested for the purpose for which is was intended, 3. Therefore, you are not responsible in any case should an injury or damage occur regardless of any legal assertions. 4. It's "sold as-is, where-is", 5. (and more importantly) the buyer agrees not to sue. 6. No warranty express or implied.

Or as in the case of a 30-year-old manlift I bought from another contractor, he stated on the bill of sale that it was "sold for parts" since he didn't want any legal recourse, AND it was not OSHA-certifiable due to its age. ....

View my Photos
shansen

2008-09-12          156620

That is excellent advise. Thank you! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login