Go Bottom Go Bottom

Belt Dressing

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-25          156287

(I couldn't figure how to post this in the right section.)

According to labels on spray-cans of belt dressing, one squirt and your belt will never slip, wear, crack, fray or squeak. And infuse the universe with karma.

Do these products do anything?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Belt Dressing

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-25          156290

Auerbach; I haven't used belt dressing since the 60's when we powered hammermills, corn shellers, etc with long flat belts from the tractor to the machine. The dressing made the belt kinda sticky and helped it to grip the flat pulleys. Todays's belt dressings may be entirely different and meant for other things besides improving grip. I see them advertised but have never tried them on a "V" belt. Frank. ....

Belt Dressing

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-25          156292

Most of our stuff these days is either PTO or hydraulically driven, but we have a few hold-outs that are still belt drive.

Most notably, and the biggest PITA is our tri-plex mowers, they are bullet-proof and will run forever, but the belts are a real source of headaches. They provide drive power for both the chassis, and the 3 cutting reels.

The big problem is the belts are down low and subject to lots of water (dew or rain) and grass clippings. Talk about a recipe for belt slippage!!!

We use belt dressing spray on them VERY regularly!

I don't know about the karma part, nor even the crack or fray (we wear them out before they can get that old) but they certainly have a minimum of slip or squeal with that stuff on them.

Frank nailed it too BTW, sticky as all get out!!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login