Go Bottom Go Bottom

Changing Filter Housings

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-23          153191

This question isn't specific to Yanmar, but I had trouble trying to post this in a more general forum.

We keep seeing plaintive posts from owners of orphan makes: WHAT KIND OF FILTER ELEMENT CAN I GET FOR MY ...?

So I wondered: is there any advice on changing the whole filter housing so it will take a standard, generic, easily-available, low-cost, good quality filter element? Not for oil, of course, and perhaps not feasible for air, but a likely prospect for fuel and for hydraulic fluid.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Changing Filter Housings

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-23          153194

In every case I've ever seen the filter is not impossible to find, it's just not one that is readily found HERE.

If you take an existing filter to a filter distributor (or possibly even just email them the specs) they can usually cross-reference it. Nobody makes their own filters. The engineer, or engine manufacturer if they're buying someone else engines, tells them what they need. They then go to a filter manufacturer and buy them.

Bottom line, if you have the size of the gasket face, the size and pitch of the threaded stem it screws onto, and the rough flow rate, you can find a filter, period.

We've swapped out filters on several specialty machines we have for North American standard ones. Sometimes the cross-reference is comical, for instance the oil filter on one of our big pumps is the same as a Volkswagen Golf diesel uses.

Best of luck. ....

Changing Filter Housings

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-23          153198

Murf, oil filter on my wife's Toyota Avalon and one of the riding lawnmower engine (not sure hp and brand now) are the same. kt ....

Changing Filter Housings

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-04-25          153241

Kits are available, but it takes a little work to track down the various sources. I've seen them for fuel and for engine oil and for hydraulic fluid. The link below is just one example of a conversion kit source. Another option is to install a relocation kit. They use mainstream replacement filters as well.

//greg// ....

Link:   Conversion kits

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login