Go Bottom Go Bottom

YM 2000 How to start

View my Photos
fishstick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-05          152768

I have a chance to buy a YM2000 w/4' mower deck. The owner(whom I have known for 10yrs) says it won't start right now. Says it's always been hard to start. Only wants $1,000 for it. two questions:1) where to start in getting it running, and 2) Does the price seem reasonable? I have seen the tractor and visually it looks OK. But I'd like to see it run and use it for a little while before I spend the bucks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

YM 2000 How to start

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-05          152769

This is a two cylinder, right? Assuming it's not an electrical problem (battery/starter), look for water in the sediment bowl. If yes, the fuel tank should be drained, and the fuel filter replaced. Look also at the intake manifold, see if the Thermostart works. That's the trademark name for Yanmar's pre-heater system for starting cold engines. I'm guessing it doesn't work. The air filter could also be dirty enough to starve the engine too.

Other possibilities include weak or leaking fuel injectors. Could be a weak fuel pump too, but the other stuff should be checked/fixed first.

//greg// ....

YM 2000 How to start

View my Photos
fishstick

2008-04-06          152790

Thanks for the info. I know zip about diesels so now at least I have some idea where to start. Thank you.

Stephen ....

YM 2000 How to start

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-07          152799

What happens when he tries?

If it's just a common starting problem, as suggested above, you're buying a mower and getting a tractor free. If it's because the engine's pooched, first find out who you can get to rebuild it. ....

YM 2000 How to start

View my Photos
fishstick

2008-04-13          152935

Sorry for the slow acknowledgement gents. Too many irons in the fire. I'm going to look closer today. Taking along a friend who's forgotten more than I'll ever know. Also taking the list of stuff to check and will let ya'll know what we find. Any way you look at it, I figure I'm getting a deal for $1,000. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login