Go Bottom Go Bottom

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
tokey24
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-30          149744

I've got a yanmar f255 that wont crank. The starter & selenoid work. I'm not getting 12v to the small wire on the selenoid so the problem is between the key & the selenoid. If anyone has had any experience in this type of problem I would love to hear your point of view. Thanks man.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-30          149745

Tokey24,

Are you sure the problem is between the switch and the solenoid? Have you taken a meter and tested the switch to make sure that you're getting voltage to the terminals on the ignition switch?

You could be right. The 12v supply going to the solenoid could be fused, or the wire may be broken somewhere -- but until you check the ignition switch, I'm not so sure that's the case.

Ignition switches are a common problem on tractors, due to the fact that they are exposed to the elements....rain, snow, dirt, etc. I might suggest that you give the switch a thorough inspection first.

Joel ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
tokey24

2007-12-31          149758

I checked the key switch today. It's working properly. There must be a problem with the small wire going to the selenoid. I jump 12v to it and the starter still wont turn. This is what I'm confused about. I can't jump the selenoid to start it. The tractor was reconditioned. I only put 50 hrs on it. (had it over a year)I'll keep thinking. ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149767

Tokey24,

There's a whole lot of disparity between message number #1 and message #3 under this topic.

In msg #1, you wrote, "The starter & selenoid work."

In msg #3, you wrote, "I jump 12v to it and the starter still wont turn. This is what I'm confused about. I can't jump the selenoid to start it."

This changes everything.

Let's start over. I'll do my best to help solve this problem, provided the information I have is accurate.

1. Does your solenoid engage when you put 12vdc to it?

Many thanks.

Happy New Year!

Joel ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
tokey24

2008-01-01          149785

Sorry for the confusion. If I put 12v to the small wire on the selenoid it will engage. If I put 12v to the wire going to the starter it will turn. When I turn the key on, all the lights and acc work. There is a little green box off the key switch that engages and another black box on the fire wall that clicks when the key is turned to start.
The tractor has always worked great, I was using it, Shut it off to talk to someone then it wouldn't start again.
Very strange and frustrating. Thank you for your time.

Happy New Year.

Joe ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-01          149788

Tokey24,

Thank you for responding.

We now know that your solenoid and starter are both working. The problem seems to be in a relay between your ignition switch and the 12vdc control wire.

The click you hear in the dash is probably a low voltage relay that controls the power to your glow plugs, and possibly the power to your starter solenoid.

If you have a wiring schematic for your tractor, you can follow the 12vdc wire from the solenoid back to the ignition switch. Something in that circuit is not closing......not making contact when you turn the ignition switch to Start.

More than likely, the culprit is a simple low voltage relay.

Take a look behind the dash. You should be able to figure out where the power to the solenoid should be coming from.

Joel ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
tokey24

2008-01-06          149950

Well its fixed. Somehow there were 3 problems. The battery cable where its clamped into the terminal was corroded. Inside the relay behind the key switch, the wire was broken.
Then the wire from the key switch to the solenoid was broken somewhere, I just ran a new one rather than tear apart the harness. Thanks for your help. ....

yanmar f255 starter

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-06          149952

Tokey24,

I always enjoy hearing a success story. Glad you got it fixed.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login