Go Bottom Go Bottom

Black Soot in 1610D Coolant

View my Photos
eric525
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-23          149582

Hi All,
Haven't visited the Yanmar groups for awhile. Things have changed. Anyway, here's my problem. I've got a Yanmar 1610D. Have had it for a few years and like it a lot but.....there are two symptoms that worry me a bit.

First, the coolant gets black afterawhile. Black as in soot, not as in rusty or just dark colored. The soot seems to be on top of the fluid, mostly. Not a lot, but a bit. I drain everything and clean it every year but it comes back.

Second, I have one piston (its a 3 cylinder) that seems to knock a bit more than the others at low revs. I put new injectors in last summer which didn't solve the problem and seemed to make it run a little worse in some respects.

I'm thinking I may have a headgasket leak. Maybe. But note I don't have bubbles coming into the coolant or at least I haven't seen any. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any help you can give.

Eric

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-23          149583

If, as it seems, it is a leaking HG you should replace it before running it more. There's a Snap On sniffer (and maybe other brands too) that diesel shops might have. It tests a sample of coolant for I think hydrodarbons from the engine. ....

View my Photos
mobilus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-23          149584

The Yanmar motor that I was working on last month had the same thing, and it had not only a blown head gasket, but the head was cracked as well. Not such a good prognosis, but I agree that you should check it out before running it any more. Good luck. Oh, the gasket is probably close to a hundred bucks, well, if it was painted green, anyways. ....

View my Photos
eric525

2007-12-23          149589

Thanks a lot, Auerbach and Mobilius. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

I gather it's pretty much a slam-dunk, if one can still use that term, that it's a headgasket--at least. I assume that would also account for the uneven running with a bit more ping or bang in one cylinder.

Not to worried about the headgasket but I don't like hearing about the cracked head. If it's that can they be welded? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-24          149591

Eric,

Like the others, I'm almost certain that you have a blown head gasket.

As for welding, I'm not so sure you'd even want to attempt it. If the weld fails.....and they usually do.......you'll have to tear down the engine twice, and install a second head gasket, besides.

The money you save by having it welded will, in most cases, never remain in your wallet.

But, let's not jump to conclusions here. Blown head gaskets are quite common. Cracked heads don't come along nearly as frequently.

Be sure to have the head checked out before installing the new head gasket. You'll want to make certain that it isn't cracked before installing any new parts.

Joel ....

View my Photos
eric525

2007-12-24          149594

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the blown head gasket notion, Joel. Will start there--tearing it apart and checking the head before putting it all back together again. I gather a machine shop can check out the head. Then if cracked I get to look for a replacement.......

Thanks again to you all. You been very helpful.

Eric ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-24          149595

Eric; I don't remember what they call the gizmo, but most machine shops have a magnetic thing where they use iron filings to detrect cracks in heads, etc. I've had them do it a time or two. Frank. ....

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-12-24          149597

Make sure you pull your injectors before taking the head to the shop. Put them in plastic ziplock bags to prevent contamination. They are very finnicky about dirt, etc.

Good luck! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-12-24          149598

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 149595
Eric; I don't remember what they call the gizmo, but most machine shops have a magnetic thing where they use iron filings to detrect cracks in heads, etc. I've had them do it a time or two.Frank.

Magnafluxing. I think they have new techniques that work on aluminum too, but definitely get the head checked out by a good machine shop. ....

View my Photos
eric525

2007-12-24          149600

Terrific. Thanks again everyone. That's all great advice. Magnafluxing without the injectors it is!

Eric ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-24          149606

In the last evening or so I saw an ad on the speed Channel for engine gaskets that are reusable. They showed a head gasket that had been in and out of an engine two or three times and was still considerd reuseable. When questioned about the price, the company rep said they are no more expensive than a conventional gasket. I don't remember the company name. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login