Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1720D Help - cracked block or head gasket

View my Photos
YN1720D
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-14          145710

I am trying to narrow down what the real problem is with my 1720D, prior to hauling it to someone to repair.
Here are the symptoms: white smoke, loosing coolant which results in the temp gauge going to "H". And the normal knocking seems worse. This has happened intermittently over the past month. since it has been 100 degrees in North Carolina for awhile, I had assumed it was just due to the heat. But in the last couple of days the smoke has returned, and the temp in in the 80's.
I am not skilled to replace a gasket if this is the problem. Could a car engine repair shop do this work? Or do you all recommend taking it back to the original business where it was purchased?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-14          145711

YH1720D,

White smoke is a sure sign that you have coolant entering the combustion chamber, most likely due to a blown head gasket.

The knocking noise you hear is due to the engine attempting to compress water, which won't happen. This will create a tremendous load on the pistons, rings, rods, and all engine bearings.

This is a serious problem. If you continue to operate the engine in this condition, you could easily break a rod, or even the crankshaft. The fact that you've been operating it in this condition worries me greatly. I'm very worried that you have already deformed the rod bearings.

It's not necessary to take your tractor to the people you purchased it from. Any diesel mechanic could repair this for you, provided he has the technical manuals and the parts. If you supply the parts and technical manuals, any good diesel mechanic can easily do the work. However, I'm afraid you're going to find much more than just a blown head gasket.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-14          145712

YN1720D,

I'm curious to know whether or not your crankcase oil has a yellow color to it, or if the engine oil dipstick has yellow foam on it.

If so, you also have coolant in the engine oil.

Joel

View my Photos
YN1720D

2007-09-14          145713

Sooo, currently I only have the Owners Manual. If I take it to a D. mechanic can they take it apart and visually decide if the rod bearings also need replacing? without the technical manual (which I will have to order). And it sounds like I should go ahead and order the gasket. Yes? ....

View my Photos
YN1720D

2007-09-14          145715

No, my engine oil dipstick does not have any other color then just the oil. I have not checked my crankcase, but will. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-14          145716

YN1720D,

I wouldn't order any parts just yet. Let the mechanic determine what's wrong with your engine before attempting to purchase any parts for it. You'll likely need additional parts, which will cost you another shipping bill. It's best to order everything you'll need with one call to the parts house.

A repair manual is definitely in order. Go ahead and order it right away.

If you don't have any yellow foam on your dipstick, this is a good sign. It means that your block is likely in good shape. Your rings are also holding, and haven't been damaged by the compression of the water in your cylinders. There's no need to check the crankcase, since even a small amount of yellow foam would be quite apparent on the dipstick.

Do not run the engine again until you've had it inspected.

A mechanic would be able to tell you if your rod bearings are in good condition. He should be able to detect any end play in the rods and pistons, once he has the head off.

By the sounds of things, I believe you have nothing more than a blown head gasket.....which is not a difficult, nor expensive repair.

Joel

View my Photos
YN1720D

2007-09-14          145717

Joel,

Thank you !!!!

Being without my tractor this time of year is giving me heartburn, fertiliing etc....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-14          145718

YN1720D,

Please check your radiator for discoloration, caused by oil floating on top of your coolant.

If your head gasket is blown, you could have engine oil in your coolant. This will appear as a grayish, or black, cloudy swirl, floating on top of your radiator fluid.

If any sign of this is present, you'll need to completely flush your radiator and replace your coolant --- after the repairs have been completed. Depending on the age of your tractor, this may need to be done anyway.

Now I have another question...........

Is this white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe? Or, is it possible that this white smoke is coming from the engine compartment?

If this white smoke is coming from the engine compartment, rather than from the exhaust pipe, it's possible that you simply have a coolant leak, which is likely dripping on the exhaust manifold......which will also cause white smoke.

I look forward to hearing from you. This could be a very simple repair, which you could easily handle by yourself. Your troubles, to this point, seem relatively minor in nature.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-14          145747

I realize this may be putting the "cart before the horse" so to speak, but I may not have the time to check back on this thread so...

If push comes to shove and there is a lot of damage, don't just have someone rebuild it, which could be verrrry costly. I suggest trying to find a good used motor, or even a new one.

I have had engines go bad the cots to rebuild can sometimes exceed the cost of a new long block. Diesel mechanics are extremely proud of their work compared to a gas engine mechanic. ....

View my Photos
YN1720D

2007-09-17          145807

Thanks to you all for the help.
Today, I will be hauling the tractor to my local John Deere dealer. They agree it sounded like a blown head gasket. I am pleased they are willing to work on the tractor. The only caveat was that I had to get the parts. After speaking directly with Hoye, they rec. additional gaskets since deere will be checking all various related items. And yes, I am getting some oil in the radiator.... ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-17          145808

YN1720D,

Your mechanic is going to need a good service and repair manual. He's also going to need a new head gasket, at a minimum. When you go looking for a new head gasket, see if you can't find one that is of better quality than the original. Gaskets are often improved by aftermarket manufacturers.

Diesel head gaskets take a beating, due to extremely high compression ratios produced in diesel engines. A gasket of extremely high quality may be hard to find, but well worth the time and effort to locate.

I hope all goes well.

Joel ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-09-26          146110

Leaking HGs are much more common than bad blocks unless the coolant hard-froze.

I doubt there are non-factory HGs for even the most popular yannies. Let the mechanic order the parts (or if there's a problem it will have been caused by that defective part you supplied). Don't order until you learn that both mating surfaces are solid and true (a warped block surface is a big job, a warped head goes to a machine shop, if block innards are bad might be better to look for a replacement engine).

Likely just needs a HG. If you plan to keep it, consider new head bolts and rechecking their torque after 100 hrs. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login