Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-03          82025

I am considering buying a used 16-18' trailer to haul my JD4310 w/backhoe and loader(4000 lbs total). I figure I would get a 7000 lb rated trailer with electric brakes. The weight of the trailer+ tractor should be about 6000 lbs. My Jeep is rated for 6000 lbs towing capacity. I would only tow it to my Mother's (6 miles ) or the dealer (10 miles) maybe 5x per year. Will my Jeep be able to handle the load? I know in theory it should but will it handle the loading of the tractor, turns on the road, general handling, etc?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-03          82030

You might want to review those numbers.

My 4115 T/L/B weighs 3800+ (with 300# of wheel weights).

I wouldn't be surprised if your 4310 T/L/B weighs 5000 pounds.

I routinely "road" my tractor to relatives homes 6 or 7 miles away to do work there. I probably have 90 road miles on my 4115 with 65 hours on the clock. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-03          82036

DR, you are right. I screwed up. Total weight is 2825+1047 (bh) +789 (FEL)=4661 lbs. So I would exceed tow limit of the Jeep by 500 lbs or so. Also depends on whether I was dropping the backhoe for another attachment like brush chopper. Hmmmmmmmm.

I am reluctant to drive the tractor to my Mother's place. I would have to use some state highway and some windy roads with blind spots. I imagine I could exceed the tow limit by a few hundred lbs for such short distances. That's why I would have to go with a minimum trailer. Would 16 feet suffice?

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-03          82048

I think we are pretty much the same wheelbase....... My 4115 with the backhoe on takes up every inch of my 16 foot trailer. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-04          82070

I road mine sometimes about 10 miles between our two properties. It's not real comfortable going over narrow bridges when wide-load transports are around. still do it though because I don't make enough trips to justify getting an adequate trailer and my 1/2 highway truck would be marginal at best anyway.

It might be an overly technical issue but it might be good to know if there's liability insurance while on public road. I suspect not when a tractor is covered under a homeowner policy, and I never expect to get straight answers from an insurance company.

In some areas farm unlicensed farm vehicles can operate on public roads only when going directly from one property to another. I don't know how property owned by another family member squares with this overly technical issue. No matter, at least here the highway police never have stopped me to ask what I'm doing but then I don't drive in traffic lanes either. They did get on the case of a guy who lost his license and was using a riding mover to go a short distance from one town to another along the shoulder of a county road. Well, the road does have a single lane bridge on it. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-04          82071

I know that in New York they used to issue farm plates to go from 1 specific property to another, and these were the only properties you were allowed to go between. They were fairly easy to get. I don't know if they still have them. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2004-04-05          82162

The most I've pulled with my Cherokee is about 3500lbs without any trailer brakes, on a single axle trailer. It did good except for the brakes. The engine was plenty strong. The wheelbase isnt bad but the Cherokee's weight is a little low and the brakes just arent up to it.
For very occational use, the short distance you are talking about, keeping the speed below 50MPH and pulling a trailer with electric brakes, I would think you would be fine if you really give yourself lots of reaction space. I think with everything added up, you will be pulling almost twice the little Cherokee's weight. The Cherokee is a lightweight and will be pushed all over the place without trailer brakes and dont tkae it on the highway and up to speed. If something unexpected happens, it will get out of hand real quick and you will be along for the ride.

Oh yea, where did you read that your towing capacity is 6000? I think mine is only 5000 and that is with load leveling. Its 3500 otherwise.

Edit: Yep, I got curious and looked it up. I can tow 5000 with min. 10% tongue weight(500), but the most tongue weight I can have without load leveling is 350. At the required minimum tongue weight of 10%, thats 3500 max trailer weight. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-05          82184

It sounds to me that the combined weight could be twice the recommended trailer towing capacity from the analysis of the previous posts. Sounds like you need to either: borrow a truck and trailer from a friend, get a truck or "Road" the tractor. The insurance comment is an interesting point. I'm sure your homeowners policy wouldn't cover a road accident. I have an umbrella policy which covers just about anything. It takes over after my other policies lapse but with certain limitations and can be purchased in increments. I have a $2,000,000.00 policy. That may be a consideration. Policy rates vary with the area and the amount of toys, etc. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-05          82223

Guys,

The trailer you pull behind your tow vehicle is or should be covered by your tow vehicle's car insurance, at least mine is anyway. 500 pounds over is no big deal. Go slow and under 50 preferrably 45mph, allow plenty over room for stopping and starting, make sure your tractor is chained binded to the trailer at 4 attachment points ( 2 front , 2 back). You will be just fine. "Roading" your hydrostat tranny CUT is a little tough on it at high speed. I don't road my tractor more than 1/2 mile based on advice from my brother who is a Senior Tech Rep for Kamatsu, JCB, and other equipment lines. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-04-05          82230

Jeff,
Many insurance companies do not cover a trailer and contents, so its best to check with your insurance co.
My insurance only covered my trailer for liability on the tow vehicle coverage.
Example, If my trailer came detached and hit another vehicle the other vehicle was covered by my tow vehicle coverage. My trailer and any contents (tractor) were not covered without purchasing extra coverage. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-05          82236

Based on these comments I am having second thoughts about purchasing a used trailer. I will check tow capacity again but I was quite sure that it was 6000 lbs - I have the Limited, don't know if that makes a difference. But maybe tongue weight is the limiting factor.

I think my insurance is OK, I also have the umbrella $2M policy with Amica - top rated in consumer reports. they pretty much cover everything.

What I am most concerned about is the weight. I tow a 21' boat now with the Cherokee and that seems pretty heavy. I don't want to be scared to death with a weight that feels like it may take me with it in a bad situation. Maybe I'll just continue to pay the $150 round trip to the dealer and use the old hand tools at my Mom's house.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. This has been an interesting thread. I'm glad I asked the question. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-05          82242

You are asking for trouble with this setup. Borrow a "real" tow vehicle, ie 3/4 ton Pickup (even a Ford would do). Having owned several Grand Cherokees I can vouch for the fact that 2 Harleys on a 12' trailer was pushing the Jeep around quite a bit. The thought of near 7000# on a tandem trailer behind a Jeep makes me want to stay home. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-05          82264

DK35vince,

I presumed wrongly that the tractor would also be insured for damage to the tractor. The loss of the tractor is the least of your worries if the thing comes loose off the trailer and kills somebody. The most important insurance you can have when towing ANY trailer is liability for damage and injury caused by a trailer that breaks loose and causes bodily injury. About 5 years ago, some idiot's small trailer came off the trailer ball and since he didn't have trailer chains on it went through the express way median and killed a motorcyclist going the opposite direction. Not only was he liable for damages the guy was sentenced to 3 years in jail for negligent homicide since safety chains are required in Michigan as with most states. I'm sure this guy wasn't overly concerned about damage to his trailer or contents.

I think for moving this TLB for a measlily 6 miles we are putting the original poster through a lot of hoops. Sure the Cherokee is a little on the light side but he has proper electric brakes and if he is real careful a scant 6 miles is NOT A BIG DEAL. In today's world he has more of a chance of getting killed by a drunk driver with the Cherokee pulling NOTHING.

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-05          82267

Tounge weight???...if you want to reduce tounge weight put equalizer bars on. There are people everyday that pull 35 foot travel trailers with 1/2 ton pickup trucks that weight alot more than your tractor loader backhoe package. What separates you from them is they have a bigger engine, extra big radiators for engine oil and engine coolant, transmission cooling radiators equalizer bars. Just because your trailer weight and contents exceed the weight of the tow vehicle is NOT a reason for concern. Trailers are being safely pulled every day with trailers weighing much more than the tow vehicle. HAVING A CHEROKEE pull a trailer weighing more than the Cherokee itself is no reason for concern. IF the tounge weight is heavy use eqalizer bars and allow for longer stopping distance and apply the trailer's electric brake well in advance of the required stop point. I sure as heck wouldn't pay 150 to a dealer to transport a TLB a scant 6 miles as I would not want to take your Cherokee and TLB and go to Florida. We are talking about 6 miles. ....

View my Photos
PushRod

2004-04-20          83749

When I went to get my Kioti LK3054 with loader, Midwest box blade, 56" tiller, and a 6' finish mower 760 miles with a 93 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5 speed manual transmission and 350 motor. I used a 16' 7000# trailer. Needless to say it was at maximum and beyond. I took it real easy and did not push the truck. I would say one thing is get a premium brake controller. Mine has a digital display indicating its setting. Very nice. Stopping the whole mess was my biggest concern. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-05-28          87110

Hi Guys,

You can look at my pictures to see what a properly setup Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ V-8 4WD/AWD can do...Its rated as a Class 4 which is 6500 trailer weight or 10500 combined...it has the tow package which has stiffer springs

The enclosed trailer I have is a 6 x 12 and its heavy. The machines add 1,100- 1200 additional weight...I regularly go up to New England 6-10 hrs of windy hilly roads with no problem..The jeep is full and the A/C on..

Would I like a true tow vehicle? of course!! I will have a trailer soon to tow my smaller(no BH) JD 4100 for 50 mile one way trips...I'm not quite ready to scrap my 44k miles 1995 excellent condtion jeep quite yet :)

I think in this case 5000lbs isnt a problem if the limited has the tow package, and up country suspension, and class 4 hitch, tranny cooler - should be standard on the limiteds or orville's..

Duc

I forgot the jeep has the brake booster, and the trailer has electric brakes ....

View my Photos
crunch

2013-09-29          188044

Just for the record 9 years after this post, last year I purchased a 16' trailer and tow my JD4310 with my Jeep Cherokee. I keep the speed at or under 40mph and don't stray more than 20 miles from thee house. It is a tight fit, an 18' trailer would have been better. Check out my pickup crane purchased from northerntool. It has been useful for picking up light attachments like backblade, rock rake. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2013-09-29          188045

Picture Link
Pickup Trucks and Trailers Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor

View my Photos
crunch

2013-09-29          188046

Picture Link
Pickup Trucks and Trailers Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm

2013-09-30          188051

Looks great! It does look like a couple of feet more would be a bit roomier. I have gone back and forth on the idea of buying a trailer but decided to just pay the dealer to come out if needed for service. So much of that stuff here would just sit outside in the rain and without a trailer it's harder for someone to ask about borrowing my equipment! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-09-30          188052

I have been one who in time past really had overloaded tow vehicle and learned the dangers without them coming true. Much more fun to have proper tow vehicle and trailer. Happened to have a pickup salesman once who was a professional educate the pulling was not the issue it was the stopping and handling.

I agree with you on trailer 2 more feet would have given you some breathing room. The crane looks interesting there. Something that has had benefit for me to prevent borrowing was going to trailer of the size I needed with pintle hook, don't think it has been asked to borrow that and the three axles look like monster which it really is not. Have in time past used large commercial plug to prevent the asking to borrow but now many pickups come with those plugs. The funny thing is I may ask more to borrow than is asked of me but I only borrow form those who I will loan to so feel it is a true two way street. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2013-10-03          188063

I agree proper tow vehicle would be more fun. I was trying to convince the wife that a pickup was in order. Instead we ended up with a new subaru outback :) Both of my vehicles were 12 years old, the Jeep only had 45000 miles on it. If and when I ever get the $ again I will be in the market for a pickup. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2014-12-07          191569

Well 10 years later I can answer my own question. I hauled two loads of attachments (two trips) 350 miles to Buffalo NY with my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee rated for 6200 lbs towing. I estimate that my 16' trailer weighed 2000 lbs and attachments weighed 3000 lbs for a 5000 lb total weight. I kept the speed between 60-65 mph all the way.

Then I hauled the tractor w/loader, backhoe (5,000 lbs) plus trailer (2,000 lbs) for 7,000 lb total weight the same 350 miles on Interstate 90 at 50-60 mph with flashers on the whole way. My son now has my toys on 4 acres (I only have 1 acre after the move) but I am within striking distance.

I have new found respect for my Jeep. It has also been moving household goods up here. I have yet to move my Kawasaki Mule, lawnmower and generator. I did rent a 26' uhaul and hauled the car behind it with the same 16' trailer (uhaul wanted $400 to rent a car trailer).

It has been a while since I posted. I miss you all and hope to get back to a normal routine once this move is over. But it will take a while since my wife is a hoarder and has to mull each and every item over and hates to dispose of anything. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-12-07          191570

Good to hear from you. It must be a girl thing hoarding stuff, my wife is the same cannot part with anything. Hope she feels the same about me :(

That was quite a move into snow country...gives you more to do with all that equipment you have at your DIL's.

I guess you must be happy with the job, hope it is not like the pressure cooker jobs I always seem to see listed in the Metro NY area. Be nice to find an IT job that does not have the words:

"must be able to work under extreme pressure, handle multiple concurrent objectives, manage offshore teams, develop specifications in an diverse management team that is not sure what it wants but wants everything by reading their minds. Must have 10 years expert level experience in obscure skills a, b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,and k. Helpful if has second language in zimbabwe and can write in chinese character set. Must be open to 90 percent travel..."

View my Photos
crunch

2014-12-21          191697

Hello Dennis, yes I signed up for this job because it provided reasonable hours, health insurance and just enough salary to get me by. However, as you get into any job, you find they have extra projects on the side, etc etc that they would like you to do as well!

I am working a couple of extra hours a day and it is difficult to keep up with these youngsters. It is as though the keyboard is part of their body. But for the most part weekends and nights are free. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login