Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractors Expected Life and Service requirements

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-06-29          193023

I like looking at tractors in person and on the internet. Got to wondering about the life of a tractor. I realize much goes into that, lack of service, operator abuse, the way equipment has been serviced, as it should be taken care of, from one extreme to the each other.

I was having a light meal with a friend who owns what was a tractor dealership (brands being bought up left them with no tractor line) but runs a good size tractor garage still.

He told me of 21,000 hours on a combine, 10,000 plus or more hours on tractor and more than one brand with never a major repair on them.

I am asking what kind of hours have you seen with what brand of tractor and even model if you think that matters and the care it received.

I expect there to be differences here again for many reasons. I spend about as much time with service as I do using mine so they will rust out before they wear out. Not to impressed with the rust I am seeing on the seams of my Kubota tractor sheet metal.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cheapscot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-06-29          193024

My rule of thumb is the mores bells and whistles the more likely something is to screw up. The other thing to remember is that often a tractor manufacturer today has to make their money in the aftermarket. Frequently what may be pitched to you as a "major repair" may actually be a $5 piece and a little mechanical work. That doesn't mean avoid the professional mechanics,as they can somtimes save you a great deal of time and money. It just means be sure you hang out with the ones who actually know their stuff and have pride in their work.

That said, if you can't get at least 10,000 hours out of a properly maintained piece of mobile machinery then it was poorly designed and you might not want to go back to that well again! ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-06-29          193025

Ken it is amazing what we see in life of a tractor. Just sold the second set of small Kubota L'series to a farmer. He is building his own front blade hook-up with hydraulic angle and lift. One get's used to push the feed into the manger area and the other is used on the other end of the cow with the manure. He runs them between 7500 and 8000 hours. So far just normal fluid and filters. We have other larger tractors going past 10,000 hours as well as even a ZD zero turn over 8,000 hours that just went to a homeowner off commercial duty. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login