Go Bottom Go Bottom

NorTrac 35XL Northern Tools Foton I think

View my Photos
Gameman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-06-14          192952

Well after seeing a lot of bad and less good comments about the Northern tool tractor. I decided to document and post mt experience from day one. I have a small Farm 12 Acres and I have been rough on my equipment. I was heavily wooded and have beaten the snot out of a Gray Market Yanmar 1600. Not a Bad tractor at all It has been beat to death by me clearing Land and have had trees fall on it I have Busted the gas tank. Have had it hung up in the trees more than I can count. Alas 14 years later the old girl has got to go. Parts are a big Issue Cost not finding them. I have a ford 800 for brush hogging. It has done this job well. But trying to find a front end loader is a bear and one that is in good shape even harder. So I went looking for a US Made Compact tractor.
I searched Maranida, Massey Ferguson. JD. New Holland and others. Sadly we in the US Done make any.
I Just now went with Nortrac Northern Tools branded tractor a 35XL It seems to be the biggest bang for buck with a Front end Loader and I popped for the 800 buck extended warranty. Per Bob at The Northern tools repair shop I was told the Warranty was 90 days on Site then up to the two year mark I would have to take it to Fairfield TX for repairs. The extended warranty put another year on top of that. Total 3 Years. Not great but not bad.

So far I just went trough the Buying part of it. I I hope was the worst of it. I have had root canals that weren't as rough.
Tractor is due in two weeks I will keep this updated as it progresses

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MAILOR

2015-06-15          192964

I Think Nortrac tractor is no bad for the money but it's very difficult to find service. (This is the biggest headache parts)
-I owned one 20 hp on 2010 for $7,000.00 dollars. It last 4 years or 700 hours. Now it is dead, burn a lot od oil. It burn about 1 qtr. every 2-3 hours. No body in WA state want to fix this type of tractor.
-Keep in mind. Doesn't matter what brand you buy, make sure
there is service and parts are available when you need.

Good Luck

Mai Lor ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-06-15          192966

Hi Mai Lor
How long ago did you buy your tractor.I Called the northern tools repair warranty department. They have assured me Bob that 90 days on-site repairs are covered after that I have to get it to a repair center 80 miles away but labor and parts are covered . I guess I will see how that goes. Really I hope not to have to repair it for years. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-06-17          192971

Good News today Got a Call From Northern tools Bob that in the Tyler Texas Athens Area. And an Agreement was reached with
Jeremy at Smith and Sons a Large Massey Ferguson Dealer in Murchison TX was Now a Nortrac Tractor Tractor Warranty Repair Center in Texas. This is a very good news for me and others in the Area.
Just 3 miles away too. Beat the 102 Miles it would have been ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-07-01          193040

The Nortrac 35XL arrived today. 1st Look not Bad Looks and handles OK after fighting a 1954 Ford 800 the power steering is sweet. Now. Bang For Buck features It had all the Items I was prepared to buy. Weights Wheel and Front Plate weights toolbox and a few tools. I was told the Drive would show me how to operate it. He was OK but not an expert. Hunt and Peck worked.Knocked some stumps out of the ground.NP and two dead trees.
I was surprised it wasnt a Jinma. Foton stamped all over it.
Some of the Nuts and bolts were loose. I ran around it with wrenches annoying but acceptable. No Oil Filters came with it. But the tool kit seemed compleate, So far So good I will add to the review as I go. 12 Acer Goat farm Its going to get a work out,

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-07-02          193043

Gameman,

Interesting read. Hope it works well for you and the one suggestion I well say to make it last well is to really "like it". Ever notice a person who took a car that the previous owner said was worn out and it ran and ran and no problems for they "LIKED IT" and thus were not picking it to death.

On real side, do keep up with service. From experience doubt you will find tougher job for a farm tractor than working with clearing land. I have done my share but they are just not built for it. So you must be extra careful. A farm tractor is not built for hitting any much more than a corn stalk and any way you take it a 3 inch limb is much harder and tougher. Again you can do it just keep your eyes open and move slowly and you should be fine. God Bless. kt ....

View my Photos
yocsr1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-07-06          193071

I'm surprised it's a foton. I've got a 2006 40hp foton and I'm happy with it. One of the regular problems is losing electrical contact in the various plug ins. I keep a can of electrical cleaner and have to spray them every now and then, and the mostly the main dash and alternator to battery. I bought a backhoe attachment and I'm digging out the backside of a pond (60x40x8'deep area) right now. Went over to the neighbors and pulled two trees the other day. I brush hog, finish mow, plow snow, till, and grade and it does everything I need it to do. I'm happy to hear there's service available for them if needed - so far I haven't needed any. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-07-23          193170

Well I hit the 10 hr Break in Changes the oil and decided to put the 35XL through the ropes. I have babied it till today. Weird the hood wont stay Down. But thats a minor issue. A Bungie Cord held it down. Going to call Parts about it.Serious Pad building an Moving my Portable sheds around, It handles the Six foot Box blade very well. 4WD was handy in the swampy area.
I was worried about it being a Chinese tractor, Minor things are OK for the price, So far I am good to go, ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-07-26          193183

Went under the tractor today. I just could not get the Hood to stay down thought it was me. the stub from the food that is supposed to catch in the latch is about a 1/4 inch to short. Once I unlatched it to change the oil is has never went back down. Using a Bungee cord for now but I gotta call the warrant-tee folks now.
Only Issue so far. Less than a month owning it hoping its the only Issue ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2015-08-19          193383

Well Less than 60 Days and the Lift went out. Hood Latch Still out. 60 day on-site repairs are not panning out at all. Engine seems good Strong Loader is solid. Economy of fuel way beyond expectations.
So Far the Bad is getting some one to work on it. When you give 16000.00 for a Tractor not with 20 hrs on it and it starts to belly up. May Go ahead and Cancel the extended warranty. Looks like repairs are going to be on Me anyway

Support Staff seem to be as helpful as they can be. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2016-06-28          195416

Well One Year in use. The Lift did go out belly up parts cam to me and it has been fix, Hood Latch Still hasn't worked since it was first opened never closed again it is still held in place by a bungee cord. That being said the 60 day on-site guarantee dont bank on it be good with your hands. Engine good Strong and Loader is solid. Fuel Economy still rocks. Happy with every part of it. But I am lucky I am a good mechanic and the labor is going to be on me or you if you own one.

Support Staff seem to be as helpful as they can be.

It Has pulled up stumps Cleared brush and saplings Dug two stock tanks. and used very little cash up ( Fuel Maintenance ect..) Brush Hogged well Never overheated a big plus in this heat.

In short as Long as you realize the warranty is pretty much parts only you will be fine. It does what I wanted it to do. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-06-28          195418

As with anything you have to look at it in the whole picture. Willing to do the work get lower price. Fair trade. My baby sister has recently moved to Texas (all she says not on map as to where) and last week said as hot as blue blazes. Then they sent the heat to us. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2016-07-01          195427

Today Low speed PTO Leaver wont work 540 RPM Range. I have used High speed 1000 RPM Range. (Grrrrr Tractor is one day from its anniversary 1 Year old) Bob at Northern tools was kind enough to email me a repair manual and told me to adjust the clutch. Has any one done this? My Issue I have the functional Use of one arm. This is going to be a chore for me.
Bob thinks its not a big deal and is a simple tweek. After I get a Plate off. Repair manual is vague and dicey at best
Everything on the tractor Functions fine. Shifts great and PTO Neutral to Hi RPM (1000 ) is fine.

Has anyone done this?? Any Advice is appiciated ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2016-07-05          195435

I've only had pin come out of the linkage, never had to tweak it. If you have questions give Thomas at Affordable Tractor a call. They've always been real helpful. 1-979-865-4002. This where I get my parts and filters and they are in Texas. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2016-07-06          195440

I had what looked like a pin come out on the lift linkage. Could not find it but the hole was obvious.Put a bolt in it a little lock tight and it was OK.Lift came back. Was your pin on the Pto selector leaver side?? ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2016-07-06          195441

I got to looking and there's a rod threaded with lock nuts that is adjustable. This is for #107 & 118 pto. If a pint comes out lever free falls and won't engage either way. The diagram is #41 in parts manual and it's part # 20. ....

View my Photos
Gameman

2016-08-28          195683

1 Year and two months.
My most major annoyance is the 90 or 60 day in site repair service. It is flat out not happening period. Almost a lie. Good selling point but not true at all.
I fixed the hood once the new latch arrives. The Lath just would not hold I don't see how it ever could. The old latch was defective the new one did work but as with the first one was to far away from the rod on the hood, There appears to be adjustments on the very back of the hood to move the hood around but they were already as fat as they would go. I cut a piece of treated wood 1/2 inch thick as a spacer. Laced it between the frame and the new latch. The hood now latches and stays down, This is a issue that the factory should look at. I cannot be the only one that had this.
Minor Issues. Pin that makes the lift leaver work drops out.
Fixed with a new pin.
Pin in 4wd pull handle fell off. Fixed
Pin in the Shuttle shift Leaver fell out. Tore the rubber boot covering the Front amd rear select.
Low Speed PTO speed wont work, Even though it had never been used, I was told to adjust the clutch. Common issue.I do give the Phone support staff at Nortrac 4 stars, Their advice have been great,
Driving to the Service center It seem they don't want to fool with it,
The tractor Has done everything I have wanted it to do. Still happy with it
Bottom Line Great Price,But you had better be handy with tools and have some mechanical skills.
If you buy one Day one PTO,LIFT,4WD and the Hood Latch check it when it comes off the truck. Have a set of needle nose pliers and some real thin stainless steel wore,
I have found a thin piece of wire through the pins twisted at the ends will hold the pins in place, The Cotter pin used to hold the 4WD pin in place is week in my opinion, I bought some at TSC and I think they will hold better.
Clutch adjustment not done yet I will post how this goes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login