TC29D glow plug resistance: New Holland Tractor Prices  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review TC29D glow plug resistance: New Holland Tractor Prices -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Prices Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-26-2006, 20:51 Post: 138354
nicktc29d

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 TC29D glow plug resistance

I am having starting problems with my 2001 TC29D (with 1300 hours), Can anyone tell me what the resistance of a good glow plug is? My main 30 amp fuse blows when I turn the ignition switch to run the glow plugs. It blows right away . It has about 1300 hours on it and has nsever gave me problems like this before. Each glow plug is reading about .8 ohmes of resistances. I have removed the relay from the glow plug circuit and it does not blow the fuse and will try and start but does not.I have replaced the fuel filter and bled the line and it still does not start. I can use starting fluid and it starts right up. So that tells me that it is not a fuel problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-26-2006, 22:14 Post: 138355
jd110_1963

How are you testing the glow plug resistance? The glow plugs need to be disconnected to be tested properly. the wire going from plug to plug has to come off. I like to actually remove them from the head to test them and visually inspect them. You can also hook up some test leads to 12 volts to see if they glow red within a few seconds, just don't leave it hooked up too long or you can burn it out if it can't dissipate the heat to the cylinder head.

12-26-2006, 23:34 Post: 138356
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I know a little about glow plugs, but almost nothing about the TC29D. So forgive me, but I would have figured the Boomers had glow plug relays. If true, isn't that relay supposed to protect the 30A fuse?

Relay notwithstanding, how you arrived at that 0.8 ohms number is definitely important. Is that the total resistance of the entire glow plug circuit as installed (still on the tractor? Or did you test each glow plug individually? On the tractor or off? Proper test procedure would be to test them individually, after being removed from the tractor, cleaned, and brought to room temp (70F) before measuring resistance.

The other critical factor is the DMM itself. Because glow plugs operate at low voltage and low resistance, the most accurate test results come from a low voltage/low resistance DMM.

//greg//

12-26-2006, 23:43 Post: 138357
Gearhead

If you unhook the main wire to the glow plugs at the head, does the fuse still blow? Can't remember what ohms should be but it should be higher i think. I checked the spec on a kubota glow plug the other day and it was 1.5 1.6 ohms. A reading of .8 ohms is almost straight to ground. It could be possible that all are bad but doesn't happen offten.

12-27-2006, 19:33 Post: 138372
nicktc29d

Filter by User

Thanks to everyone that has helped. I removed the glow plug and then took the measurement. If I do remove the feed wire from the bussbar that is connected to all the glow plugs then the fuse does not blow. I found out that I have some relation that workes for an NH dealer. He told me that each glow plug should measure 4 to 5 ohms.
For the purpose of rounding off we will use 4.5 ohms per glow plug. 4.5 ohms per plug, three of them in parallel would bring the total resistence down to about 1.45 ohms. usining E=IxR that would equate to about 8.27 amps of draw. Now if you use my actual reading of each glow plug which is approximatly .8 ohem per plug that figures to a total of about .266 ohms of resistance.Use the formula of E= IxR which e = volts, I = amps, r= resistance. 12volts/.266 ohms = 45.11 amps. To figure out what you need for total resistance disconnect the power wire and read total resistance. 12v /1.45 ohms = 8.2 amps. I hope this helps anyone else. Thanks for all the help

12-27-2006, 23:48 Post: 138373
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Except Nick, resistance in parallel is calculated like this:
R(parallel) = R1 × R2 x R3 divided by R1 + R2 + R3.
As opposed to
R(series) = R1 + R2 + R3
And measuring them on the engine - as a single circuit - is only a gross results test, good only to determine if the entire circuit is operating within the limits of the fuse.

I still maintain that you should physically remove each glow and bench test them individually - if you want accurate results that is. Obtain room temperature resistance values from clean glow plugs, then stick THOSE numbers into the appropriate formula. Just as in compression testing - where you want to see all cylinders come within a few PSI of each other - in glow plug testing you ALSO want to see all plugs measure within maybe half an ohm of each other.

And I know glow plugs come in various heat ranges, but I'd be very surprised if a 4.5 ohm glow plug will get hot enough to start an engine. They're almost always under 2 ohms, more typically 1.5 and less.

//greg//

12-28-2006, 05:18 Post: 138374
nicktc29d

Filter by User

Resistance in parallel is calculated as 1/RT=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3.....And I did take each glow plug out and measure them seperate. Thanks for all your help.

12-28-2006, 07:54 Post: 138376
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

No Nick, it's not

//greg//

12-28-2006, 15:28 Post: 138385
nicktc29d

Filter by User

Greg, I looked it up on the internet and in my old elctronic books and they both say that my method is correct. Anyway, Greg I do appreciate your help with this. Because I did order one new glow plug and I was told wrong the new glow plug reads 1.2 ohms not between 4 and 5 ohms. It looks like I need to look deeper into this problem Now I did check only one glow plug that was out of the engine and it did read .8 ohms. I will take all them out tonight and read each one seperatly out of the head of the engine. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for all your help.

12-28-2006, 15:54 Post: 138386
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Nick, look at your formula again - where you said "Resistance in parallel is calculated as 1/RT=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3". Your error is in trying to solve for the inverse of R(Total). Solve for R(Total) only. If you had, you'd have come up with the same answer as I did with my version: R(parallel) = R1 × R2 x R3 divided by R1 + R2 + R3. My calculation is just another way to express RT=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3 without all those obviously confusing inverse numbers.

//greg//

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Prices Forum

Thread 138354 Filter by Poster:
Gearhead 1 | greg_g 4 | jd110_1963 1 | Murf 1 | nicktc29d 4 | oneace 1 | whiterose 1 |

Most Viewed

+ NEW HOLLAND TC33DA PRICE $4200?
+ Boomer 2030 Price?
+ Possible strike?
+ My experiance with New Holland
+ New Holland TC-18
+ Ford 1620 Deal or No-Deal??
+ looking for NH compact tractor.
+ Price check TC30
+ 2009 nh 3040
+ New Holland/Kubota comparison

Most Discussion