Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-27          136362

I have been eye balling the Stihl MS 192T for quite awhile. I need a reliable and servicable limbing saw for when I am out cutting firewood.

For the past 15 years I have been using a Homelite Super 2 which as been a real trooper but the plastic and rubber tanks, oil, and fuel lines are getting real old and the thing leaks like a siv. Parts are getting tougher to find if you can find them at all and it smokes like a freight train. It also has no chain brake which is a big deal safety wise. It has done a good job and I will continue to use it on dirty wood.

I have not tried the MS 192T out yet but it is VERY light and well balanced. I went with the 192 T primarily because of top handle equipped throttle trigger and it comes with an attachment anchor loop for a lanyard it you are climbing up a tree to do some work. Where I live is a forestry industry town and the guy at the Stihl Saw Shop had never seen an MS 192 T before be he even commented about how well he liked the feel and light weight.

I will follow up with more on how it performs when I get a few hours on it limbing oak tree tops for its big brother the O-66 I have used for the past 14 years to cut firewood. Weighing in at a tad over 16 pounds, the O-66 is a cuttin' haus but it gets mighty heavy after several hours cutting and limbing tree tops. The dealer even threw in a free 6 pack of Stihl 2.5 gallon size 2 stroke mix.

Stihl MS 192 T

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192T.html

I was surprised at the price as the MS 200 T cost over $500 while the MS 192T cost $279 which is about $120 cheaper than the HUSQVARNA 338 XPC Chain Saw.

HUSQVARNA 338 XPC Chain Saw

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1866

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-27          136365

I buy Stihl whenever possible for my business. They operate flawlessly. They cosyt a little more but it well worth it. I have (had--one was run over by my buddy and one was stolen) two Farmbosses. Excellent saws. And I have a TS 760 cutoff saw--about 7hp--and weighs every bit of it. I had a Huskvarna (sp), but it wouldn't stay running after a $150 "repair". ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-27          136369

We sell both and for longevity I'll take the Stihl. The fellows in the shop like husky(job security). They both cut about the same it's just the hours they will run and stay together. They call a husky tune-up a piston and jug. That means when we clean out the parts saw bins there are normally about 10 huskys to 1 or 2 stihls. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-10-27          136371

Chief

I bought a 024 sthil woodboss in 1989 for Hurricane hugo and have abused it since then. One fine peice of equipment. My saw looks almost like yours I am sure mine weighs more. Mine has a steel sprocket for the chain, I had it changed to accept the plastic type. The plastic only cost 4 or 5 dollars well worth it if you use the saw alot. Also I got a 24 inch blade installed instead of the 18 that came with it. I am sure you will be happy with it. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-28          136386

SG: How's the smartest man I know? ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-29          136405

I bought the MS 192T about 4 months ago - GREAT little saw, I have a stihl farm boss it runs great but it's too heavy for me to use for any period of time. Couple of observations on the 192. Already had the starter cord and spring in the shop because I was not starting it properly, and didn't take up the loose-ish cord slack before yanking it (to the point of compression on the engine) so the ratchet pulled out as I jerked it and the spring jumped out (dealer gladly fixed under warrenty - another reason to buy a stihl). The saw is so light (6lb) that I can use it with one hand ....... which means the other hand is often holding logs and is apt to meet the saw blade someday if I continue doing it. Bad me. Fuel tank runs out quickly. Overall a 9 out of 10, I love it. I also had the 14" bar changed out for a 12" so it's really little after all how many logs that I trim are really bigger than 12", most of my firewood is 8" or less. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-30          136419

The 192 was made for arborists to use in tree's so weight was a large concern not so much fuel tank capacity. It will get better as most people find it takes about 5 gallons of fuel to break-in a Stihl engine. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-30          136424

I had a little Poulan and got rid of it for the same reason Ann stated. If it is too light you tend to use it like a kitchen electric knife with one hand. You alway want two hands on a saw. Even with anti kick chain you never know. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-30          136428

I too wanted a 200 t but the price was silly high and I always buy stihl. I ended up asking a few tree services that were die hard Stihl and husky guys, and they all agreed that the Echo top handle 3400 or some such number saw was a much better value and ran great. I am no fan of echo but I bought one and it is great and cheap. For the limited amount of climbing I do, I will never wear it out. I think stihl had to come out with a cheaper top handle because of the loss of sales. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-30          136429

I cut up a white oak tree top today and ran about 2 tanks of gas through the 192 T today. For such a little fella, it is a cutting haus! Filled my pickup truck bed up in no time. It does not burn near as much gas as my Homelite Super 2 but it is a bit lean and cold natured and can be a little tougher to start than the O-66 or Super 2 sometimes. I think as I get used to it, the starting will get easier. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-30          136430

Chief all my Stihl stuff seems to want to be strated all the same way and that is: full choke on, pull once, choke off, start. May have to repeat once. Oddly even when warmed up it's the same process. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-31          136434

EW; I'v got a Sthil, (don't remember the model no.) that I've had for a while. Your comment on starting it is identicial to mine, do the same routine hot or cold, about the third pull she purrs. Only other saw I've owned was a McCullugh, or how ever you spell it. I'd probably still be using it but I loaned it to a "Friend", you know the rest of the story, so now I have the Sthil. Good local dealer keeps it tuned up for me, that's important too. Frank. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-31          136449

For the most part not to say I've had my hands on a 192 but the starting procedure when it is cold, two pulls with the choke on and it should have fired. The third pull will have it running on fast throttle with the choke off. When it is still warm just shut down for refuel or to move your cutting it should start with just turning the switch on. Both Husquvarna and Stihl are the same for starting. This is not repriming the fuel system from running out as that is a different story. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-01          136483

Earthwrks

Thanks for asking about me I am alive and doing fine. And getting smarter by the minute reading TP. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-01          136484

SG: If you get too smart I'll have to bow an address you as "Oh Wiseass One" (as opposed to Oh Wisest One) ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-01          136486

I will have to ponder that while I am sitting on the throne. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-11-06          136628

Chief, I've been looking for a small trim saw to keep on my quad for sometime...just no extra $$ at this time (see my next post under WELL WATER), but the 192 has been the one that I look for on Ebay most often. I'll be interested in your long term report! ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-06          136631

Being able to carry it around on my ATV was another prime consideration when I purchased this saw. So far it has done very well. Very economical on gas and cuts well. I have cut up 2 white oak tree tops with it so far. The O-66 is just far too big to carry on the ATV and the 10 pound weight savings is MUCH easier on the arms after several hours. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-11-06          136634

Chief, if I remember w/o spending too much time searching, you have a Honda Foreman like myself. Did you buy a chain saw mount for your quad yet? This one seems to be MUCH less expensive than others...

Link:   

Click Here

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-06          136641

I have the Foreman 500. No I have not purchased a chainsaw mount yet. Thanks for the heads up link. I have been using some milk and coke crates that are bungee corded to the front and rear racks to carry my chainsaw, oil, fuel, etc. I have been looking at a rack that goes on the back. ....

Link:   Weekend WarriorŪ ATV Rear Drop Basket with Tail Gate.

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-11-07          136655

Chief,
I've looked at one of these drop baskets...my only concern was putting more weight that far off the back of my Foreman..I have another month or two on my Sportsman's Guide membership...which allows you to buy this rack for $98.97. I'm not sure why I bought the membership to Sportsman's Guide before I upgraded my membership on Tractorpoint...live and learn!! ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-11-15          136929

Chief, you always seem to point me in the right direction...There has to be a SIMPLE way of carrying bar oil around for a chain saw...I carry around the 1 gallon Stihl bottle, and end up spilling it, especially when it gets thick in the cold weather. Also, do you switch to a lighter oil in the winter? ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-15          136932

I pour the chain bar oil out into a 1 quart oil container (currently using an old plastic Mobile 1 oil bottle) or if it gets really cold I use a one quart 80W90 gear oil plastic squeeze bottle. 1 quart lasts my O-66 about 4 to 6 tanks of gas and it is not so much to lug around on the ATV. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-04-23          141464

Chief,
I haven't been on here for quite some time...never enough time in the day, add to it four kids and heart surgery...etc, etc.
Anyway, did you ever get a chain saw holder for your Foreman? I never did (see above...four kids, etc!). If so, what one did you get, how is the Foreman, and, is anyone spouting off on tractorpoint these days?
Sean ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-23          141468

They do have a winter mix for chain saws bar oil. It's about a thirty weight. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2007-04-23          141473

Hi Sean,

I never did get around to buying a chainsaw holster yet. Been busier than a 3 legged cat in a sand box planting trees for a CRP project.

The Foreman is GREAT. I did my own first valve adjustment and have done all of the services on it so far. It is has been a great and fuel efficient machine so far and I use the heck out of it. Both the Foreman and the Recon. I used the Recon during the tree planting and it has also been a great machine as well.

Sorry to hear about the heart surgery. Hope all turned out well and you are on the mend and doing well. ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-04-24          141479

Randy,
Doing much better, thanks.
OK, valve adjustment...I haven't done it, and I have 90 hours on the machine, so I am probably past due. How difficult?? ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2007-04-24          141482

The valve adjustment itself was not bad at all. The big pain in the neck was removing all of the fairings and fuel tank. I just left the fuel tank connected but picked it up and turned in sideways and moved to the rear.

The valve adustment was pretty easy in that it required the use of a feeler gauge to set the clearance by loosening a jamb nut and adjustment screw to set the clearance at .004 to .006 for both intake and exhaust if I remember correctly. Another pain in the neck was setting the engine at top dead center so both valve rocker arms had play. Very difficult if not impossible with the starter and is very difficult but attainable with the pull rope starter. Just have to take it REAL slow and easy.

I purchased the OEM manual from Helms.

I got tired of listening to the valves tapping from being out of tolerance so I set the valves as tight a tolerance as I could. That and I don't want to do it again any time soon. It took about 4 hours altogether because of the removal of all of the fairings.

Definitely worth the effort and the money saved at about $80 per hour shop rate.

I also changed the rear differential oil with synthetic. It looked pretty nasty when I changed it.

The shop rates for working on these machines is just way too high, so I am doing my own work on them and that way I will know it was done right. ;-) ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-04-24          141484

Randy,
Thanks for the reply...how many hours did you have on the Foreman when you did this? ....

Stihl MS 192 T

View my Photos
Chief

2007-04-24          141485

Not sure of the exact hours as there is no hour meter on the Foreman. I can only estimate between 75 and 100 hours maybe a little less. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login