Go Bottom Go Bottom

I need a new 14 or 16 chain saw

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-08          131882

What brand would you recommend?
Looking for something economical reliable light weight and easy to handle.
Don't have to be top of the line but don't want junk either.
Thanks for the info.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-08          131885

I received a Husqvarna 136 consumer model saw for Christmas about five years ago. This thing just won't die. We've cut, limbed and bucked hundreds of trees with this saw and I'm amazed that a cheap consumer grade saw would give this good of service. These things are cheap to buy too, maybe $125-135. It still runs like new, all I've done is replace plugs, chains and the bar a couple of times. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-08          131886

I have a Husky 52, but I am not sure which model replaced it. I have had it 12 years. Starts every time. At one time they called it the 455 Rancher.
If you want a saw to power a 16" bar you need more power I recommend that you buy a saw where the bar size is in the heart of the range. I do not recommend that you underpower a chain a 2 cycle needs to reve, if you lug you can get problems with burning pistons. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-08          131887

I'm with the other guys on this one; "Husky"is the small chain saw of choice for low weight and cost. For larger I stay with my Stihl. Costs more, but worth it. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-07-08          131892

I've got a STHIL and I give it a 100% recommendation. Works well in winter or summer and after 7 years of cutting maple, still (pun intended) hasn't been in the shop. Get a bigger model than you think you'll need, it'll work easier and faster. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-07-08          131893

I have an Echo 16, its very light weight, great engine, and a pleasure to use compared to my old stuff. I think it was not so cheap if I remember right. My only complaint is that I seem to be always having a chain fly off the bar near then end of my work. If I had to do it again I might look for one of those dial-chain tightener models. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-08          131894

So she WAS right. Bigger IS better. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-08          131895

You're right about the chain tensioner. On the Husky the chain gets adjusted probably every other refueling. The next one I buy will be a Stihl with the tooless chain tensioner, but that's hard to justify until the Husky dies. Does Husky have that option? Either way you can't go wrong with Husky or Stihl. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-07-09          131910

Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Best bang for the buck Stihl makes and is their most popular chainsaw. I have owned my Stihl O-66 (now called the MS669) for almost 14 years and she runs like new. I have cut a LOT of wood with it too. Stihl is expensive but worth EVERY penny in my opinion because they are VERY reliable and they last. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-09          131912

I've had a Husky 136 for about 4 years. I bought it as a limb & trim saw; but my other saw is so heavy, and the Husky works so good, that I use it for most of my firewood cutting. No problems other than a bent bar, and that wasn't the saw's fault.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-09          131915

Either the Husky or Stihl are good options. I have used them all at one point or other as I worked in the western woods. Personally I liked the balance on the Huskies better than Stihl, but I have not used a Stihl for a day after their redesign. The power to weight was historically better on the Huskies, but Stihl has matched this. I have a 257 and the 52 Husky as I was cutting 10 cord a year for the house and had some large hard wood. Prior to that I had a Professional large Poulan 24" and 36" bars, something they don't even make anymore. I guess once they were bought up by electrolux they let Husky take the pro saws. Before that I had a Canadian. Also a large saw and not made anymore.

I never have any problem with the Huskies chain lossening between chain filings Ken. If you bar slots are worn a little you need to push up on the tip of the bar as you tighten and secure or as soon as you make your first cut you will see slack in the chain. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-09          131920

Eric, the chain on this saw has always loosened a couple of times a day. Even after installing a new bar. I always tip the bar up when tightening. This is a consumer model Husky so maybe the more expensive models are better in this regard. It's not a big deal to tighten the chain but a toolless chain tensioner would be nice. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-10          131940

Ken;
Part of the problem is always the chain. A new chain will stretch over time. I always have problems with the chains until they season.
I use the chains until there is little left of the teeth, filing the teeth and rakers. I touch up a chain every tankful as I like a sharp saw. After 4-6 tankfuls the chain stops stretching.
I am not a fan of the anti kick chains as I find they heat more, stretch more and cut less. Could be it has more soft links. I do wear my eye protection and falling pants. After years in the woods with a saw, I feel naked without the pants. In the south I wear my shorts so I can step out of them when I rest and leave the dirt and heat behind. I hate chaps, they are too hard to get out of in the heat. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-10          131942

Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Was recommended to me by a landscaper a few years back and has been a joy to work with. Sometimes I just look out to see if there's anything that needs to be cut: a dead branch, an in-the-way branch, my neighbor's mailbox post... ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-07-10          131956

Just bought my MS290. Can't wait to try it out. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-10          131960

I own a Stihl, but you should consider what your targeted use is and look accordingly.

My point is I went for the next model up than my buddy's Stihl as mine has more power and 2" longer bar. But it weighs about 3 lbs heavier. Doesn't dound like much, but try using it for hours on end when you drive a desk all day. But mine cuts through thick stuff with no problems - good power! My buddy's saw boggs down more due to less power, but it's much better for cleaning up smaller stuff like brush, small trees, shrubs, etc due to it being lighter.

Put those two thoughts into play for your decision. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-10          131972

I have owned an MS290 for years. I would not trade it for anything. Though even with my discount it was still over $300. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-10          131973

I bought an Stihl 024 woodboss in 1987 and is still going fine. It has served me well for 2 hurricanes. All my power equipment is Stihl, leaf blower, brush cutter and chainsaw. Good equipment.

Oneace
Mine was $300 in 1987. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-10          131975

Husqvarna, stihl both worth it. I own a Rancher, Husqvarna. Iowafun had some good advice. I have found that just like tractors, there is a following that wont quit for saws. Michigan folks are extemely high on stihl (rightfully so) its a top of the line saw, but it also has a John Deere price on it. The
Husqvarna in a profesional saw also and also has a steep price tag on her (When you compare apples to apples).
Most of my buddies that are in the logging buisness have
Husqvarna's. Big difference over a home owners model!
My bottom line,,, Husqvarna/Stihl,,, you win with either one.
BTW I own an Echo brush cutter, 6 foot shaft, AWESOME!!!! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-10          131978

We've been a husqvarna dealer for twenty years and a Stihl dealer for twenty five. Have people that love both and seen switches from one to the other and vise versa. To operate them I perfer the pro saws for a good day of cutting do to the better porting for more power and the lighter weight for the horsepower. We only sell Stihl chain for replacement on either saw although the Husky originals are Oregon. I've cut firewood to heat the house with big saws five cubic inch and bigger with 18" and 24" bars and I've cut for the need of removal of debris from wood storms or for hours cutting snowmobile trails with 3 cubic inch saws and smaller. Knowing both sides of the counter my personal saw for cutting what ever I need to cut is currently an older model 034 Stihl with a 16" bar for wood and a 20" for brushing. Just not able to part with it as I haven't seen any better of a saw in the past ten years to replace it. ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-11-17          137034

Art, Just thought of it! I have been looking for the past 10 yrs for a copy of a video I borrowed from my Stihl dealer about 15 years ago.(back when we had a servicing dealer). It was a seminar on logging tecniques by Soren
Eriksen sp. I learned more from that 1/2 hr video than in the rest of my 40 yrs of cutting trees and firewood.I can't remember if he used Stihl or Husky. anyway, He started (The Game of Logging) Not the Timbersports, but the Training. Have you ever seen or heard of the video. Ron ....

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-09-14          145714

After cussing the Poulan Pro that I had for about six years, I finally bought a "real" chainsaw this year. I say real because Stihl's products are the standard by which all two-stroke tools should be judged, IMO. I bought a STIHL MS 180 C-B Chain Saw, MiniBoss, and I'm impressed by the power and love the tool-less chain tensioning system. It might not be big enough for a lot of folks, but I've buried the 14" bar to the hilt in ash and it never slowed down.

I was so impressed, I bought a Stihl weedeater and have been equally pleased.

Sure, they cost a little more, but they deliver more as well. I'm sold on the brand.

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-09-15          145777

I cast my vote for any Stihl, and refering to another users post I too have burried my 14" deep inside of lumber and never slowed it down. The exterior chain tightener is key, but only comes on the smallers machines. I also have a larger farm boss which is a beast of a saw. Both saws have contributed equally to the bucking of what eventually became 24 cords of pine fire wood- 7 years straight.
Aggresive blades help too. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-09-16          145790

...STIHL!!!...the most reliable piece of equipment in my household! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-09-16          145791

I don't use a chainsaw real often, but when I do I want the thing to start. I bought a new Mccullogh in the 70's, a good saw, kinda heavy by today's standards, but with regular service it started like a champ till I loaned it to the WRONG relative. There is a real strong Sthil dealer in a nearby town whom I had heard had a good service dept., so after I got over the WRONG relative thing I just junked the old Mccullogh and bought a Sthil. I don't remember what model it is but it STARTS. I probanbly don't put 5 hours on it in two years, but I take it to the dealer every other fall, have them tune it up, sharpen, etc. I'm sure ther are other brands just a good, but having a good dealer with a good service dept. keeps me happy. I've always been kind of a tool collector and have some kind of pricey things around the shop that too many of the wrong type of people know about and are always wanting to borrow. I've had some bad experiences loaning tools in the past so after the chainsaw loaning deal we now have a hard and fast rule here about loaning anything more high tech than a sledge hammer. The rule states. "If God himself wants to borrow the chainsaw or any other tool, he can borrow it, all others need not apply". Happy chainsawing. Frank. ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-09-16          145796

I'm sure at this point it's Stihl or Husky, but there are differences in each model of both kinds. I have noticed when a Stihl model has an even number in the middle it is a hundred bucks more or so. I think these are better made saws. I don't know the difference though. Husky also has 3 types. The XP models are the pro saws. The price also shows it's a different saw. I would get the smallest pro saw you need cause it will be the last saw you will buy if you're a casual user. Art said he's got an old 034 Stihl, I got one too and an 026. Nice saws but with the 034 you better really hang on, the 026 ain't half the animal. Don't ever cut when worn out or tired especially with the pro saws that buzz at 13-14,000 rpm's. It depends on you but I buy about the best these days cause at 44 years old I'm tired of saving an extra fifty cents to find me spending an extra dollar later on. By the way maybe Art can explain the differences in price between the same size Stihl and one is a hundred buck more? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login