Kubota G1900 does not start: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Kubota G1900 does not start: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-24-2004, 20:30 Post: 81034
steve m
2004-03-24 20:30:37
 Kubota G1900 does not start

My Kubota G1900 wont start sometimes. Not a dead battery but no response when the key goes from warming the glow plugs to actually starting. Its like the brake isn't depressed. The dash lights are on but no response. If I work the transmission pedal, and the brake, and move on the seat sometimes it will start. I've towed it 25 or so feet then it would start. I'm trying to figure out which "safety switch" is defective. any one have any similar problems? The problem has been getting worse over the past few years. thanks in advance Steve

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-01-2004, 18:47 Post: 81815
bob
2004-04-01 00:00:00

Make sure the brake is set and PTO is not engaged

04-01-2004, 21:44 Post: 81829
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

Do not tow that tractor and think it will start as you might have to open the wallet deep for a new hydro. Do start eliminating safety switches till you find out which one it is. This is not uncommon on tractors and you are not the first by any means to have this problem.

04-08-2005, 20:11 Post: 109601
terryh

I am having an intermittent starting problem with my Kubota g1900.I call myself checking all safety switches,could it be the ignition switch.

04-11-2005, 21:58 Post: 109709
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

IT could be the ignition switch but that could be tested to.

03-04-2011, 02:30 Post: 177169
joseph31

Filter by User

I encountered a hard starting problem on a G1900 that I was fixing up. The guy sold it because he was having electrical problems with it. The battery was charged and tested good using a battery impedance analyzer. Upon further testing, a voltage drop was observed between the positive battery post and the battery cable terminal. Close examination revealed a black oxide-like coating on the inside of the battery cable terminal instead of a silvery like surface . This black oxide-like coating was very hard and was not conductive (high resistance). I thought that I had forgot to wire brush the terminal and wire brushed it. The wire brush did NOT remove the black oxide-like coating. After experimenting with several different battery terminal brushes, with no result, I used a “rat tail file.” With this I obtained the silvery surface and it that also tested a low resistance. The negative battery cable terminal was OK, with a silvery surface. The tractor started robustly!
Then I remembered that my other Kubota, a G1800, that I had personally used on my resident, for the last 12 years, had been developing a hard starting problem. The battery was about 9 years old, so I had purchased a new battery but had not installed it. So I checked the battery cables terminals on the G1800, and the same problem had occurred, and again ONLY on the positive cable terminal. I then checked a 45 year Chevrolet that had lead battery cable terminals. The cables were OK. So this is probably not a lead oxide type problem.
The conclusion is that Kubota might be using an alloy of lead for its battery cable terminal that forms some kind of a very hard oxide, possibly only on the positive terminal. Use a “rat tail file” (round file) and carefully remove only the surface oxide, such as to not remove a lot of the terminal material.
I don’t know if this will solve your problem, but in a sample of two Kubota’s, the problem occurred at a rate of 100% . It is worth checking because a low or intermittent voltage can cause strange problems.

03-04-2011, 02:30 Post: 177170
joseph31

Filter by User

I encountered a hard starting problem on a G1900 that I was fixing up. The guy sold it because he was having electrical problems with it. The battery was charged and tested good using a battery impedance analyzer. Upon further testing, a voltage drop was observed between the positive battery post and the battery cable terminal. Close examination revealed a black oxide-like coating on the inside of the battery cable terminal instead of a silvery like surface . This black oxide-like coating was very hard and was not conductive (high resistance). I thought that I had forgot to wire brush the terminal and wire brushed it. The wire brush did NOT remove the black oxide-like coating. After experimenting with several different battery terminal brushes, with no result, I used a “rat tail file.” With this I obtained the silvery surface and it that also tested a low resistance. The negative battery cable terminal was OK, with a silvery surface. The tractor started robustly!
Then I remembered that my other Kubota, a G1800, that I had personally used on my resident, for the last 12 years, had been developing a hard starting problem. The battery was about 9 years old, so I had purchased a new battery but had not installed it. So I checked the battery cables terminals on the G1800, and the same problem had occurred, and again ONLY on the positive cable terminal. I then checked a 45 year Chevrolet that had lead battery cable terminals. The cables were OK. So this is probably not a lead oxide type problem.
The conclusion is that Kubota might be using an alloy of lead for its battery cable terminal that forms some kind of a very hard oxide, possibly only on the positive terminal. Use a “rat tail file” (round file) and carefully remove only the surface oxide, such as to not remove a lot of the terminal material.
I don’t know if this will solve your problem, but in a sample of two Kubota’s, the problem occurred at a rate of 100% . It is worth checking because a low or intermittent voltage can cause strange problems.

03-04-2011, 08:26 Post: 177174
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Joseph, glad to have you here and for jumping in. Do notice the post is a little old you were helping on but the info is still very good. Wish you has posted it a year or so ago. I pulled battery out of my bigger Kubota until about could do in it my sleep to finally get the positive post also clean as you mentioned. They do make a battery cable tool that will on most size post and ends cut it out with inserting the tool and rotating it. Do agree it was hard surface.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 81034 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | bob 1 | joseph31 2 | kthompson 1 | steve m 1 | terryh 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc