Go Bottom Go Bottom

Purchasing advice - M7060 or L series

View my Photos
gregoryrad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-11-27          191519

I need to purchase a general utility/farm tractor for my new vacant land purchase. I am purchasing 430 acres of forested (jungle) land, mountain side/top, and perhaps 25 acres of flat farmable land. the flat land needs to be cleaned up - root/rock rakes, tilled, cleaned up. Perhaps 10 more acres of light forest land will be turned to farmable fields. The tractor will assist with general maintenance, land clean-up, building of new home, etc. I will be removing perhaps 10 large trees/year - cutting, skidding them out of the forest, etc.

The farmable land, once grubbed out/cleaned, tilled will be food crop producing for my family and others. I'll be using a grapple for brush work, box blade for dirt road maintenance, brush hog, york rake, rear forest winch for skidding, etc.

I have always thought the M5040 to M7040/7060 tractor made the most sense - good ground clearance, large tires, beefier than the L series. But I thought to ask you good people here, who are far more experienced than me. I am 50 yrs old and this is my first tractor purchase.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Purchasing advice - M7060 or L series

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-11-28          191524

Naturally some say bigger is better! For 25 acres any of the models mentioned would work. Some times smaller is better although some of the initial prep work will take longer. The larger chassis is stronger overall it just depends on you. To be taking it with you on the exemption I'd take the larger chassis for less expenses and the thought of having to pay more later.
We can only hope there still might be some of Dole's work still showing to make your life a little easier. Please check local laws for what tree's you can cut and can't as they are quite strict!
That's a beautiful area! Will be a bit north in about 12 hours from now in San Juan Del Sol Nicaragua fishing! Your area is great to!!!!!! ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login