New Kubota L3240 First Look Review: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review New Kubota L3240 First Look Review: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-19-2012, 06:49 Post: 182798
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 New Kubota L3240 First Look Review

This is my first post. I am an old retired military and federal retired civilian employee who lives in Georgia on a 6 acre mini farm with my wife, and our farm animals.

I spent four days last week searching and researching several Kubota's. I needed a tractor with a hydrostat transmission to replace my reliable MF 231. I had a left knee replacement in 2010. Since then I found out that because of the surgery pinching a nerve in my left leg that I have something called drop foot. Together they make it much harder for me to push in my clutch. Rather than pushing it in I was more or less "smashing" it in.

I have always tried to purchase stuff locally. My Kubota dealer was not much help to me. I told him I needed a tractor that could lift at least 1500 pounds in a front loader, and could also manage to lift a 1000 to 1200 pound roll of hay using a hay fork on the three point hitch. He kept routing me to a 51 horse power tractor. I kept saying to him that surely there was a tractor with 30 to 40 HP that could do what I needed. I finally got so fed up with him that I went out on a search to all Kubota dealers in Georgia. I found a company, and a nice lady who listened to me. She suggested that I look at the "Grand L 40" series of tractors. Eventually I decided upon a L3240. Why that one? It had the two requirements that I mentioned above, plus she offered me a great deal, with a great trade on my MF231. Plus this tractor was made in late 2011, prior to Kubota's latest price increase, so I saved money that way too.

Tuesday March 20th my L3240 will be delivered to me in Georgia. My old MF231 was a true tractor with no computer stuff on it. I am nervous about having to relearn how to use a tractor. I will keep yall informed as to how this goes.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-19-2012, 11:32 Post: 182800
kthompson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Welcome to TP and congratulations on the tractor. Think you will find the Kubota user friendly over the MF, with the models you mentioned.

The best suggestion I can give you is read the manual and read it again. Unless that model is totally different than mine you will still need to use the clutch but smashing it should be fine. You need to understand the need to be in the correct range even with the speed control you have with the hydrostat foot pedal.

My experience with the foot brakes is you will end up using them very little unless you are on needing for stopping on hills. Hard to use them for turning and the foot pedal also. The negative to me with this transmission that you may run into is spraying. You get set for pressure needed and ground speed and on my B2710 it is hard to have same ground speed from one set up to the next.

03-21-2012, 07:38 Post: 182831
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The Kubota L3240 arrived about noon on Tuesday March 20th. I caught on pretty fast on the basics of how this tractor operates. I had to learn the location and function of the various levers and so forth.

I used it for about 1.5 hours. We had recently had a tree company remove about 20 dead trees from our rather large front yard. I had already raked up a lot of small debree into piles for pickup. This was small limbs and leaves which was left from when the dead trees hit the ground. I used a hand fork, to load the FEL with this stuff and then dumped it into a large 13 foot long trailer to haul off later. Before I did all the hauling using a wheel barrow. I had to manually load the wheel barrow. Push it to the large trailer and then manually transfer the material into the large trailer. The L3240 and the FEL made it all faster, easier and more effective. I was surprised as to how much work I got done in that 1.5 hours.

03-21-2012, 17:33 Post: 182836
kthompson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I can see the sign now: new tractor owner looking for work.

03-26-2012, 19:24 Post: 182879
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have too much work planned for the L3240 at home to even think about anything else! Today March 26th I used the FEL a lot. Amazing how it can pickup a full bucket of wet red Georgia clay so easily. When I finished that task I hooked up my hay fork to the three point hitch and moved a 1000 pound roll of hay out to where my cows could munch on it. When I picked that 1000 pound roll of hay up I kind of expected a movement of some kind to take place up front. The tractor did not move!! It also picked that roll of hay up effortlessly. My main two requirements (FEL able to handle at least 1500 pounds and the three point hitch strong enough to lift a 1000 pound bale of hay)has worked out great. I higly recomment the Kubota L3240 tractor.

03-27-2012, 05:27 Post: 182885
charlieK

a tooth bar on that bucket works wonders--that and ag tires were the best mods for my L3130 GST

04-18-2012, 08:13 Post: 183210
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

April 16th I had my first chance to see what the L3240 would do in soft sand. At the rear of our property we have a holding pond that helps to cut down on soil erosion. After a couple of years sand gets washed into this area, and the holding pond begins to fill up. I took the L3240 down into this area and by using the front end loader, spent several hours moving buckets of sand out of the holding pond. I did not get all the work done, but I made a dent in it. I am very happy with how the L3240 worked in soft sand. I am now at 20 hours on my L3240. It is time to grease everything on the L3240, and then have "some more fun"...I mean get more work accomplished!!

04-28-2012, 08:13 Post: 183380
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

After owning my L3240 for over a month now, and having put about 12 hours on it, (it had 10 hours on it when I bought it) I came to the conclusion that I may have a few implements that I no longer need. I decided to sale my old dirt pan that I used for over 14 years to fill in pot holes and build flower beds with. I have found that the FEL does a lot better job of this sort of work. I thought about selling my three point hitch scrape blade, but decided that there still may be some times when it will come in handy. So far the L3240 has done everything I had expected it to do.

When my wife asks me if I am going out to play with the tractor again. I smile and tell her that I am heading out to get some of the "honey dew" jobs that she has been pushing me to do for years accomplished. I have made two new flower beds, and rebuilt two old flower beds, using the L3240 so far. I don't have to make excuses anymore!!

04-28-2012, 18:47 Post: 183386
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Hello, and welcome to the group. We're usually a pretty relaxed bunch, but can spring into action to help out if needed.
You are correct about the FEL being a usefull attachmnet.
Deere bragged about their #430 loader being easy to mount and dismount from the tractor when I bought my 4310 with the loader on it. So far with about 800 hours on the tractor I've never had the loader off, it seems that almost every day I use the loader for something. I do drop the bucket off if I use a rear mounted mower, or the tiller. I have a set of forklift forks from Deere that go on in place of the bucket. The Co-op usually has some throwaway pallets that I use to store things on then move them around with the forks on the loader.
You mention having a "Dirtpan" that you may sell since you have the loader. I don't know if you mean a box scraper when you speak of a dirt pan. A three point hitch box scraper with scarafing teeth is a great partner for a front loader. As good as the newer loaders are they really aren't meant to dig up undisturbed soil, they are meant to move it from point A to point B after it has been loosened by some other method. It's just too hard on the frames and hydraulics digging up hard soil, that's what bulldozers are for, but they cost a lot too. The box scraper with scarifier teeth on the three point will tear loose a lot of soil in a little bit that the loader bucket can easily scoop up wuthout undue strain. Another plus for the box scraper is their counterweight function while using the loader. Most every company that sells loaders offer a counterweigth box for the three point that can be filled with most anything heavy. I've always felt they were a waste of money when a few more dollars added to the cost of the weight box get's you a box scraper that does a lot of real work.
As time goes along you'll be collecting other attachments too, these little tractors are addictive, I know I'm on my third one.

Frank.

04-29-2012, 11:11 Post: 183392
Sassi7855

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I used my dirt pan for years, but with the FEL I no longer need that item. For clarification a dirt pan is just that...a pan that is connected to a tractor using the 3 point hitch, which can scoop up a pan full of dirt.

I could use a box scraper with teeth, as you suggested. If I can find a decent used one I plan to buy one. I think that is a great suggestion for me to consider. I suppose that if I bought one of those I could probably then sale my old scrape blade. Does that sound about right?

Meanwhile I am currently using a ripper, or as some of us call it, a middle buster to break up hard dirt so it can be picked up with the FEL. It only has one tooth, so I have to make several passes to bust up a section, but it will get the job done, and I can dig deeper using it with a narrow plow tooth.

One task that I have is to remove sand that has washed into a holding pond. Please correct me on this if I am wrong, but that sand is not hard or compacted so I am thinking that I do not have to use my middle buster to loosen it up before going at it with the FEL. What do yall think?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 182798 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | auerbach 2 | boscos 1 | bristan8 1 | candoarms 4 | catred57 1 | charlieK 1 | DennisCTB 2 | gulfvet01 5 | hardwood 4 | kthompson 13 | Murf 8 | Oldestguy 1 | Sassi7855 40 | taogden 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX and B series SnowBlowers

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA ARE JUNK
+ Source for after market produc
+ 3-Point Quick Hitch
+ B 7100 ST - Making the Leap
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT