Go Bottom Go Bottom

plow and tiller for 2004 jd 790

View my Photos
nick72126
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-24          97158

Looking for a recommendation on a plow and a rotory tiller for the JD 790. Rocky ground with some clay.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cherymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-24          97179

I just bought a King Kutter II (whatever the II means) and I couldn't be happier with it, except for the paint that is.... After spending 20 or so hrs comparing tillers here what I found:

Tillers come in chain and gear drive. Weight of a gear drive tiller is quite a bit more than that of a chain drive model. Several people recommended gear drive for rocky soils (I can't explain why)

The # of tines and tine flanges varies greatly by manufacturer. So does tilling/working depth.

Cost of the same size tiller varies greatly by manufacturer... I was looking for ~50" tillers prices varied from $1,050 (King Kutter) to $2,200 (Land Pride).

Tiller makers also varied a lot on HP requirements for same drive type/same size tillers. For example: King Kutter recommended a 20hp tractor for my 48" gear drive tiller... Woods makes a 52" gear drive tiller that weighs less than the KK model and recommends a 30hp tractor. Kuhn recommended a 25hp PTO (30hp tractor) for their 50" gear drive tiller. My 4110 runs the KK tiller in hard clay soil with absolutely no problems.

I stole this from someone else's post... I can't remember who though. Anywho... "...here are some facts you might want to know on "Country of Origin" for tiller MFG's.

Agric- Spain
Agritor- Spain
BADALINI- Italy
Befco/Rotomec- Italy
BREVIGLIERI- Italy
Buhler/Farm King - Canada
Bush Hog- Maletti- Italy and Maletti componants on HD models
CCM- Turkey
Caroni- Italy
Celli- Italy & Korea
Comeb/ Multivator- Italy
DeLMarino- Italy
FALC- Italy
Fimaks- Turkey
First Choice- Italy
Gearmore- Italy
Howard- Spain & Italy
JD- Italy & Spain
Jinma- China
King Kutter- China, Spain, Italy & Indian components
Krone- Germany
Kuhn- France
LandPride-Assembled in USA- Italian & Chinese components
Maschio- Italy
Maletti- Italy makes NH, Kubota,Woods, BH & Others
Muratori- Italy
Pallidino- Italy
Purva- India
Rhino- Italy
Sicma- Italy
Sovema- Italy
Yanmar- Japan
Yurdusar- Turkey"

I'm sure there's more... There are several reasons I chose the KK over the others. That's all in the link below (just 2 pages long)

Link:   Tillers and Ploughs

View my Photos
rabbittrun

2004-09-25          97183

I have approximately 10 miles of "fire lanes" that presently are kept up by disking once a year. These were installed by the Forestry about 9 yrs previous. So, I am
thinking that is I can get one that will cover 5 ft. width, then this may be the thing for me. One thing though, have you had any experience with pine straw and "clogging" the tines?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
cherymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-25          97196

Are you seriously gonna till 10 miles of fire lane? That's be a hell of a days work :)

Ahhh pine needles... man I hate those things :) I don't think pine needles are long enough to clog (get wrapped around) the tiller. I don't think it'd be any diff. than tilling leaves.

I'n certainly no expert on tillers... But I added 4 loads (53" loader bucket) of leaves/pine straw/wood chips to a 6' x 30' tulip bed I'm preparing, and the tiller obliterated the stuff. But again... I'm no expert. 10 miles and only 1 pass may produce diff. results? I'd think tree roots and vines may be an issue. ....

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-09-29          97385

I have a 5" CCM tiller on my 790. Good price and heavy duty constuction. Gear driven rather than chain drive. I have a one bottom plow that I use. I really don't know if it could handle anything bigger. ....

View my Photos
nick72126

2005-03-08          107584

Well I finally went to Tractor supply and bought a King KutterII 48" for my 790. Got it uncrated oiled and greased it up. The PTO shaft was to long so I followed the directions on cutting it down. Well I tryed it out and seems to work well, but everyso often if I raise the tiller all the way up with it running I get a very bad vibration like its going to shake it's self apart. It seems to almost go away if I lower the tiller slightly.It does not seem to do it while tilling.
Anyone have any ideas? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-08          107597

Sounds like your PTO shaft is binding up when lifted.Or the shafts U-joints are in to steep of an angle from lifting the 3 point to high while the tiller is running.

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-09          107624

THe Woods Tiller Manual I download last week says not to have angles exceeding 35 degrees between the articulations in the PTO shaft. Could yours be in that range when you lift your tiller all the way? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login