Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
David
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-17          80216

Upon turning the ignition key on my 950, the starter often makes a single "click". I repeatedly turn the key off and on again until the starter works successfully.
Yesterday, at the first turn of the key, there came a brief, scratchy buzzing, then nothing with repeated turns of the key. With a short piece of wire I've tried completing the circuit across the solenoid? to starter. This causes a few small sparks, but no action in the starter.
It must be obvious I have no knowledge of basic engine stuff. I recently bought this tractor with a front end loader, and can't imagine life anymore without it. Looking for some advice to solve this problem. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80226

I would start with inspecting and cleaning the battery cable, frame ground, and starter connections. I would also check the state of charge of the battery. If all those things are good, sound like a probable starter solenoid or remote possibility of a bad starter switch. Sure sounds like the starter solenoid problem on my boat from setting for the winter.

Before you purchase a starter service parts kit part# CH12505 ; you may want to check around your area to see if there is a shop or dealer that can rebuild your starter. The starter and solenoid appear to be one piece and a new replacement starter part# TY6716 costs $506.00 ! Wish I had better news. Hopefully one of the other guys here will jump in with a better idea! ....

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-03-18          80246

I agree with Chief. That is the classic symptoms of a bad connection somewhere. Usually it is the battery clamps/battery posts. Go to an auto parts store and get a battery cleaner tool. It has a small brush to clean the inside of the clamps and another brush to clean the posts. There is often a white powdery looking deposit on the posts and clamps that is easy to overlook but will break the circuit.
If that fails, take your battery to an auto parts store and let them check it. A weak battery can have similar symptoms. ....

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-18          80259

If it's not a 'maintenance-free' battery, an inexpensive battery hydrometercan test for battery capacity. If one or more cells test bad that could sure be the problem and it'd be a lot cheaper than starter work. A shop probably would use a hydrometer for testing as well. Hydrometers are pretty good to have around since most times you can tell when it's getting close to time for a new battery. ....

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-18          80277

Even if a hydrometer shows all cells good the battery could still have an internal short that would prevent it from working properly under load. The auto parts store can put a load tester on it to verify it's operation under load. ....

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
Sawyer

2004-03-18          80332

Thank you Chief and others.
I tried 2 things at once so I'm sot sure which it was.
Took the battery out and had it tested. Tested bad. Before putting new battery in, found, disconnected, and cleaned rust off of the negative wire terminal at it's mount on the frame. Bought a little packet of electrical connection grease and applied it there and on the new battery terminals. Back in business.
Every man needs a front-end loader.
Its changed my life more than marriage did.

Also came to wonder today what the difference is between farm batteries, which seem to be given shorter warranties, and auto batteries? ....

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-18          80336

Sawyer, you are very welcome! Glad I was able to be of some help and you got off on the cheap. Sounds like you got the problem licked!

JD 950 Starting Problem

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-18          80338

Tractors have no suspension so the battery gets bounced around pretty hard. For this reason tractor batteries are built a little tougher so the plates and internal connections don't break loose but they still lead a hard life. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login