Winter storage under cover: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Winter storage under cover: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-24-2001, 09:41 Post: 33377
Captain B

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Winter storage under cover

I am clearing land in New Hampshire on which we will build next year. I am considering storing my JD990 up there (I don't have a truck or trailer) so I can work weekends through first snow. So far I can't locate indoor space. My neighbor has offered space behind his barn. If I remove the battery, check the anti-freeze, and secure the tarp carefullly am I ok outside? I assume that with loaded tires I don't have to use blocks. The 990 is in pristine condition. I am particularly concerned about condensation under the tarp which might cause rust. On the other hand, I can spend $650 on hauling down here and back next spring and have total peace of mind. What to do?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-24-2001, 11:39 Post: 33378
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

With your said intentions I would think you could save your 650 dollars for another attachment for your tractor. I don't see any problem with what you would like to do. Come spring look around first before starting to make sure some rodents didn't make a new home in your tractor some place.

11-24-2001, 16:46 Post: 33388
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I can't see any problem with leaving it out with the tarp on it. Your tractor is no different than you car. You could probably spend a little money on a solar battery charger and leave the battery in the tractor.
I'm sure that you could find someone with a car hauler that will move the tractor for less.

11-25-2001, 04:04 Post: 33394
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

CPT B Your tarp idea should be fine. Just do not tarp it tight to the ground, allow air flow. Use bungy cords to secure the tarp or weighted jugs, gallon water bottles should work unless you have very high winds. Put some padding on sharp areas and painted areas. A better idea for long term storage is build a small tight frame work over and around and nail the tarp on with battens and heave the whole mess in the spring or save for a wood shed.

11-25-2001, 06:23 Post: 33398
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Don't forget to block the clutch. There are usually some other things mentioned in the extended storage section of many manuals. Frozen clutches from not blocking them aren't uncommon.

It is nice to be have a tractor sheltered year-around, not only for storage but also for maintenance and repairs. I got my tractor late one summer, after doing what tractor work I had to do it was too late in the year to solve the storage problem. I got a 10' x 25' arctic shelter enclosure with an entrance high enough for the ROPS and an all-weather cover. The price wasn't too bad, and I'm still using it 3-years later while I'm still thinking about building an equipment shed. I figure that when the shed get built, the shelter still will be useful for lengthy projects in the bush. I suppose, I've got to get the shed done since I have several implements that won't fit in the shed and have to be tarped. Even my wife wants me to build a shed. Of course, she wanted a wash-shed and rail fence at our camp this summer more than she wanted an equipment shed. I guess that’s a pretty good reason to use the arctic shelter for another year.

12-01-2001, 20:10 Post: 33583
Eric Edwards

Filter by User

I stored my JD1070 on my building lot in southern ME last winter under a good quality tarp(not blue). I used it though occasionally to plow out the entrance so I had a place to park while my kids went sledding etc. I don't think it was particularly bad for for the tractor but I wish I had purchased one of those soft shelters from BJ's or similar as I would still have it to use now. The big problem is snow load of course. Even though I put a cut off soda can over the vertical exhaust pipe I'm surprised the weight of snow didn't rip the tarp. When ice forms in the folds the weight can be unbelievable. This year I will either build a true shelter or more likely a quick temp lean to off another structure as money and time are tight but 2X's are plentiful.

12-02-2001, 15:11 Post: 33608
Roger L.

Filter by User

I've writtten to several companies that make motorcycle covers and asked if they would be interested in making one for a compact tractor. To date, no replies. Maybe if we all wrote them we could get a response. I do have one particular cover that I prefer for the motorcycle. Anyone have any ideas how to get their attention??

12-02-2001, 15:16 Post: 33609
Roger L.

Filter by User

To expand on the thought, I keep all 3 tractors under tarps. Used to use the blue ones and bunjee cords and they would flog terribly in the wind. but I never did see any damage as a result. I should mention that I have been known to wax my tractor.....so to me paint scuffing is damage....
Lately I have been using regular tarps with one slick waxed side and one soft side next to the tractor. They are so heavy that they won't flog, so they are held down with boot laces. After a season they sort of conform to the tractor shape and they do breathe a little. I punch a hole for the exhaust and label the corners as well as the inside/outside surface. But the darn things are heavy and bulky. Would much rather have something like a motorcycle or sports car cover.

12-02-2001, 22:54 Post: 33621
Eric Edwards

Filter by User

I thoughly agree. I've looked at those ATV covers by the dozen but never found one that would work for my purpose. A semi fitted cover perhaps with battens inside to arch over non-contact areas like between the rops and the steering wheel to shed snow. Perhaps vented made out of, lets say, Sunbrella material. How am I doing so far?

12-03-2001, 04:33 Post: 33623
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Custom make tarps can usually be obtained thru a canvas/sail maker. Boat areas usually have a couple of these guys in the yellow pages or stop at the marina. THEY CAN GET PRICEY!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 33377 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | Captain B 1 | cordspa 2 | Eric Edwards 2 | Gary in Indiana 1 | harvey 2 | Jiffyjam 1 | Peters 1 | Roger L. 2 | TomG 4 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob