Telescoping draft links: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Telescoping draft links: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-12-2001, 17:14 Post: 30020
dwilson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Telescoping draft links

Since I got the word about the availability of telescoping draft links for the JD 4000 series tractors from this board, I thought I would report the result. My dealer could not find a listing in his regular parts computer, but it turned up in the JD computer. They cost $208 plus shipping. Easy to install and they work like a dream. It's much simpler to line up the left-hand (stationary) side and, with the combination of the adjustable lift and the telescoping link, the right side is unbelievably easy to line up and attach. No more armwrestling with the 3-point hitch to hook up the implements up to my JD 4400. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

07-12-2001, 17:36 Post: 30021
dsg

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Telescoping draft links

Doug, I love the tele. links, greatest thing since sliced bread. This is not a slam at you about price, but I would like others to know, I got the Links for $195. plus my state tax. You should NOT have to pay shipping. The dealer can get this item as a stock item and would not have to pay shipping unless it was needed sooner than the regular stock shipments. Please do not be fooled by this Shipping charge. Only items that need to be shipped (overnight, or within a few days has a charge). David

07-12-2001, 19:51 Post: 30022
John Miller, III

Telescoping draft links

I agree with the ease of use of any telescoping draft links. I have both telescoping on a couple tractors and a quick hitch on one tractor. I'd highly recommend buying the telescopic arms if they are available for your tractor versus any quick hitch assembly... and if they aren't available...well that's why God let someone invent the 6' pry bar and sledge hammer for all the others...

07-12-2001, 23:48 Post: 30033
john hunter

Telescoping draft links

Please explain to me what the telescoping draft link does. Does it require hydraulic?

07-13-2001, 06:34 Post: 30036
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Telescoping draft links

As far as I know, telescoping lower links release so the link can be extended so it's easier to match up the pins. The tractor can then be backed up to lock the links in place for operation. Maybe there's potential for some fun in the various responses. I'd say that God allowed somebody to invent the pry-bar and sledge in order to get the pyramids built. Seems like I haven't learned anything since then ‘cause those are what I use. I'd turn the thing around and say that God allowed somebody to invent telescoping links for people who don't put their implements on blocks and can't back up square to an implement. Return shots expected. Actually, I would have found the telescoping links handy last summer when I had to keep the tractor and implements clustered in a small bush clearing. I couldn't back up square due to the close quarters and did spend quite a bit of time levering things around. They also should be great for people who change implements very frequently or who have small equipment sheds.

07-13-2001, 08:22 Post: 30041
dwilson

Filter by User
 Telescoping draft links

John, the telescoping link is purely mechanical and requires no hydraulic hookup. The two arms that extend out from your 3-point hitch to hook onto your implement are called draft links. The telescoping version makes it possible to extend the end of the link so that you can attach the hitch to your implement without being precisely lined up, which is sometimes virtually impossible to do. Without some way of bringing an unlined-up link to the implement, the alternative (known as the hard way) is to force the hitch and implement into alignment by fair means or foul. As my old boss used to say, it is a good way to lose your religion.

07-13-2001, 08:33 Post: 30042
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Telescoping draft links

OK, now for my two cents worth (3.1 US cents, Laughing out loud) on this subject. Tom's comments about leaving implements in less than ideal spots for attaching or removing. We are constantly faced with this challenge since almost everyone of our implement changes are on-site. Wherever possible we park implements under big trees, this way you only have to back up close to an implement, and alignment does not matter either, provided you have a stout piece of strap and a set of block and tackle. Place a strap (or such) over a big branch directly over the implement, lift the implement by the upper link pin, it will now swing easily into position. Removal is similar, set the implement down, unhook top link and lift a litttle, remove lower pins and set the piece down after moving away. Now, as 'Norm' would say "But first a few words about shop safety...". First, be sure all hoisting equipment is up to the task. Next, NEVER put anything (like any part of you) under the implement which you would not want it to drop on (then it can't). Lastly, DO NOT EVER leave things hanging in the air unattended. Best of luck.

07-13-2001, 08:49 Post: 30043
Russ DenBleyker

Telescoping draft links

A return shot for Tom: Go out and purchase a used 500 pound implement that someone has used very roughly with a big tractor and bent the 3 point frame so that the left and right pins are no longer in line with each other. Back up square to it and try to attach it without telescoping links. You will soon develop a greater appreciation for telescoping links!

07-14-2001, 08:48 Post: 30063
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Telescoping draft links

I've got to move tractor back to a small bush clearing in a week or so. I could very well wish for telescoping links, especially since there are no big trees handy to try Murf's idea. My wife would get cranky if I cut the smaller trees to make the clearing larger, so guess I'll just have to lever things around. I actually think the links are probably pretty good gadgets for people who change implements frequently. The point I want to make is that there is a learning curve in swapping implements. It starts out being a pain, and then it gets pretty easy. It's probably a good idea for new owners to develop the knack of swapping implements, see how often swapping is needed after 'first projects' are done, and then decide if it's a problem or not. I probably would have been very interested in telescoping links when I first got the tractor, but perhaps not now. My 650# forklift is the only implement I ever use a hammer (3#) to release or seat the pins. The problem with the forklift is that the draft link mounts are so wide that the arms barely spread wide enough to mount it. However, I've easily changed it's alignment to the tractor well over 1' and maybe 6" to the side with a pry-bar. It's more work carrying the bar to the tractor. For developing swapping knacks: It's very good to see what happens when the draft arms can be lifted by hand, and what happens when the side-leveler is changed. Whether lateral float is on of off makes a difference. My 1710 has a crank side-leveler adjustment that is handy for making fine up and down alignment adjustments.

07-14-2001, 10:04 Post: 30066
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Telescoping draft links

Russ: I must be living right. I figure that I sort of deserved something to make me go 'ouch'. Yes, you're right, learning to back up square is one thing, but learning to back up just the right 'not square' for one particular implement is another thing. If I had to do it very often, I'd probably want to give up my blocks and pry-bar.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 30020 Filter by Poster:
dsg 1 | dwilson 2 | john hunter 1 | John Miller, III 1 | kay 1 | lsheaffer 1 | mike dewald 1 | Murf 1 | Russ DenBleyker 1 | sholsclaw 1 | TomG 6 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob