Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fuel system troubleshooting

View my Photos
Jeanie Harris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-21          23559

Can anyone tell me where to find info on troubleshooting the fuel system on a John Deere 750 diesel? There is no return fuel coming back through the return line, lack of power and slow acceleration. Thank you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-22          23566

There are a number of sites that offer tractor manuals. The one I have is http://www.farmtractormanuals.com/index.html#manual, but JD manuals aren't specifically listed.

I'm not familiar with anything called a fuel return line on my Ford, but maybe somebody who knows JD tractors will comment. There is a wide range of possible explanations for the systems. Some of the simple solutions are clogged filter, air in the lines, bad fuel, poorly adjusted throttle linkage. More information might be useful. Does is misfire, surge, does it smoke and if so, what colour?

View my Photos
Jeanie Harris

2001-01-22          23572

Tom, Thank you for your response. I also believe getting a manual will be our best bet. I spent hours last night on different search engines looking for info on diesel fuel systems. Only came up with how they work, nothing on troubleshooting them. He has checked the filter and will check the delivery lines next, from a suggestion on another board. It only has the symptoms that I described already. We bought it new in 1983 and the hour meter broke awhile back, after being turned over twice. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-22          23573

Jeannie, what you are experiencing sounds very much like a restriction in the fuel system, probably a clogged filter. To start with go and get a fresh filter, while you are changing the filter, completely drain the fuel tank through the filter housing, via a filter equipped funnel (a couple of coffee filters works great) into a container to filter out any debris in the tank. Then try blowing out the return lines to also eliminate any build up of debris. Re-assemble and start it up, if there is no difference then it will likely be the pump, I'm not a JD expert, but I assume this machine will have a by-pas valve, it may be stuck open, or just plain pump failure, pretty unlikely though, probably some junk in there. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Jeanie Harris

2001-01-22          23574

Murf, Thanks for the info. Will give it a try. ....

View my Photos
mark

2001-01-22          23585

Jeanie, Things were pretty much covered in the previous posts here but wanted to ask are you in a cold climate? Could it be your fuel is jelling? When you say there is no return fuel where are you looking? Are you siting the return hose at the neck of the fuel tank? If so, I have never seen the return line hose on our JD-750 ever recirculate fuel there. Just trying to be helpful. Regards Mark ....

View my Photos
Jeanie Harris

2001-01-22          23591

Mark, We are located in the southern part of VA. Yes, the return hose at the neck of the fuel tank. Have checked and blowed out all the fuel lines today. Plenty of fuel getting to the pump. Will have the pump checked out next. Thanks for trying to help. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-23          23595

If the engine has a bunch of hours on it, you might want to run a compression test on it--especially if it's a bit hard to start or misfires at start up. Below is a list of causes for lack of power or speed from my repair manual: Incorrect throttle adjustment, incorrect maximum no load speed, fuel starvation, air in system, incorrect timing [pump], low compression, incorrect engine timing. Hope you already found the problem before reading this. You would need a manual to check out some of the things on the list. ....

View my Photos
Jeanie Harris

2001-02-02          23864

Thanks to everyone for their input. Had the pump tested and then
rebuilt. Tractor is running great now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login