Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4300 problem resolved

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-31          2233

The problem with my new JD4300 Hydro that I have been discussing on the message board appears to be resolved. Apparently, the parking brake was adjust improperly resulting a in a slight drag on the tractor. The dealership sent a technician to adjust the brake. The tractor will pull 2,850 rpm in Range C with the Hydro control fully pressed. It also moves up to max speed quickly. Since the tractors rated rpm for max power is 2,700 it would appear that the problem is resolved. I am going to check with other 4300 hydro owners to see if that rpm is about right. Some 4400 owners have told me on the message board that theirs runs to about 3,000 with a light load at full transport speed. But, the 4400 has more power. In any event, it looks like the problem has been cared for.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-04-01          2284

Terry glad to hear that they fixed your little problem...believe it or not thedealer that i went to had heard about the parking brakes sticking..he says ithas only been a problem on the hydro's.....you were a big help when i wrote before so i wanted to ask you another question.....i have been to two JD places and have been offered two different deals...i was hoping for your input on themDealer #1 you remember the 855855 w/mid pto turf hydro 70A loader delivered for 14,900dealer #24300 sync w/mid pto 430 loader R4's and 10 hours for 17,500since you have owned both present and past do you think the 4300 is worth the extra money does the five horsepower difference really show or i guess i should say will it if i decide to get a backhoe or other add onjust thought you would be the person to know considering everythingthey both seem like good deals that is for sure ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-04-02          2316

Blue Ox,I can't accurately say whether the prices you have received from JD dealers on the 4300 and equipment are reasonable. I traded my 855, 60" mower and 70A loader on the 4300 MFWD, turf tires, Hydro, 3rd hydraulic valve, block heater and two rear work lights, 60" deck and 430 loader (61" bucket) for $4,500. Since I was trading I never asked for a cash-no trade price.With respect to your question whether the increase in horsepower for the 4300 over the 855 being worth the money, it depends on the planned use for your tractor. I went with the 60" mid-mount mower deck due to the fact the areas I mow are rather uneven. I felt the smaller deck would work better than the 72" deck. I really don't need 25.5 pto horsepower for this size deck. Using my loader on the other hand probably justifies the extra horsepower and cost. The additional weight of the 4300, larger tires and much larger hydraulic pump (on the 855 their is no separte pump for the power steering and hydraulics, all hydraulic pressure is generated at the hydro charge pump) provides much better performance. Even though Deere does not approve, I used my 855 with my 25A flail mower. The mower is probably too much for the tractor. I tried my 4300 with the 25A (Deere approves the 25A on the 4400 and larger tractors) and it handled it quite well. The 855 had a little trouble lifting the mower while the 4300 lifted quickly with no problems.I suspect that for 90% of the work on my tree farm the 855 was just fine. The 4300 has features that I like over the 855 such as, much tighter turning radius, three range hydro with greater transport speed, tilt steering, larger fuel tank and better hydraulic capacity. In the end, I thought the additional cost of the 4300 was worth it because I use the loader frequently and like the greater lift capacity and faster cycle times. I also like the fact that there is a separate pump for the power steering. On my 855, the steering circuit would starve for oil if I was cycling the loaderIn my opinion, if loader work is only a secondary use then the 855 will work just fine in most operations. If you mow with a lot of turning then the tighter turning radius on the new 4000 series tractors will be an advantage. If you can get an 855 at a good price (there are some good dealer incentives on 855s and 955s now) then this may be the way to go. These tractors should hold their resale value even though they are discontinued. Based upon the no trade prices I have seen on the message board the last couple of weeks, I believe you would be happier with a 4200, 4300 or 4400.One last thought, my 855 would fit in my garage (the ROPS would clear the opening). My 4300 is about 3" too tall (I didn't get the folding ROPS option). I keep my 4300 in another shed. I can't let is stay outside! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login