Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4100 vs Kubota B7500 HST Dealer Impressions

View my Photos
Duane Pearl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-12          19756

After careful consideration, I have decided to pass on the JD4100 gear, and go with the Kubota B7500 hst. Both models ended up being the same price after a loader and 54" belly mower were installed, but of course the Kubota had the hydro tranny so it was the clear choice. I am still wondering why someone on the message boards here told me that the JD4100 was more similar to the 2410 than the 7500. As far as I can tell, the only real difference between the JD4100 and the 7500 is the color of the paint. Yes, the lift capacities vary a little, but really, is there enough difference to even talk about? Basically these are small tractors which will be used with probably the same size equipment. And in addition, the only real difference between the 7500 and the 2410 is the horsepower. The tractors are identical in size. This is not to say however that the differences that do exist, which seem miniscule to me, might be of importance to someone else. ANYWAYS... the real reason I am posting this message is to inform people of the importance of selecting a good dealer. Put it this way, I had my new 4100 on the way, all the paperwork was ready, but the dealer did not seem to be in any hurry to get everything put together so I could actually pick my tractor up. I waited 3 weeks, and was told it would take another 3 weeks... He told me he could not find a loader at a dealer close enough so he had to order one. I asked him how far away it would have been and he said 150 miles. I was appalled. I had to wait 3 more weeks on a $14,000 tractor because he did not want to drive a few hours. When I went to the Kubota dealer, I did not explain my situation to them, but they assured me that if they had to drive to New Jersey to get me a tractor ( i live in erie pa) they would have me a tractor within 5 days. They obviously did not have to go that far cause I will pick the tractor up 2 days after talking to them. They even offered to load my tires for free. They just really went out of their way to give me a good deal, and to make me feel like they cared at least a little bit. I figure the service you get during your purchase is a reflection of the service you get after the purchase. Let's face it, all these tractors are great, but your dealer can have a huge impact on your impression of each brand.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-12          19757

Duane, you're absolutely right. Having the right dealer is a very important consideration. And then since I'm a Kubota owner, I think you got a better tractor, too. ....

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2000-09-12          19758

Bird, I was just wondering what your reasoning is in the Kubota being a better tractor. I sort of came to that conclusion too after realizing that every part on a Kubota is made by Kubota, unlike the JD's which seem to sub out alot of thier parts to other companies. I am not sure this is the case with the 4100 though, cause from what I hear it's a Yanmar. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-12          19762

Duane, I sure don't want to start a war of words on which brand is best. I guess that might be like discussing whether a Ford or Chevrolet pickup is best. I would hope that everyone is happy with the brand they bought, and that's what counts. But for me personally, I looked at John Deere, Ford/New Holland, Cub Cadet, Kubota, International, and some lesser known brands, new and used, in 1995 for 6 months before buying a Kubota (I started that search with John Deere being first choice). In 1999, I didn't even look at anything else when I decided I wanted a little bigger Kubota with some additional features, especially the power steering, flat floor, and position control on the 3-point. And since I live in farm country, have spent some time helping neighbors with other brands of tractors, big and small, and have been reading messages on the discussion forums, my conclusion (whether right or wrong) is that the Kubota is the most reliable, trouble free, best buy for the money, and most of the features I wanted are standard equipment; not options. And if owners of other brands disagree and feel they have the best brand, I'm happy for them. ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-09-15          19809

Like Bird, I don't want to become involved in a "Which tractor is best debate" but I will admit to owning a Kubota B2400. When I was in the market 1-1/2 years ago, the JD 4100 was my first choice because I always always driven green. The dealer quoted a 3 months delivery and from posts on this board and others at the time, that was a conservative estimate. He didn't seem too worried about it and had a "take it or leave it attitude" so I left it. The Kubota dealer had my tractor delivered, prep'd and ready to work in 5 days. I got the B2400 (instead of the B2100) because, as you say, the size was the same and the few extra horsepower wouldn't hurt. I couldn't be happier with my machine. You fill it up, turn the key and go to work. The only problem I have had was a leaking hydraulic hose. It took one call and the dealer came over and replaced the hose in 10 minutes. I couldn't have asked for better service. I think what I'm trying to say is that you will have a good machine that will give you excellent service for years which will only add to your enjoyment. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-09-16          19822

Boy, I guess that individual dealers really do make the difference. I actually started out wanting to buy a B7500, but bought a JD4100 instead. The Kubota dealer didn't want to be bothered with ordering one in and tried hard to sell me a BX instead. When I got tired of this I went to the JD dealer and was treated very well and promptly too. (it didn't hurt that JD was having a factory sale promotion at that time). This dealer is 125 miles from me, but still will run parts or implements over to me when they are in the area. I'm happy with the 4100, and think that I would also be happy with a B7500, but not with the attitude of the Kubota dealer. ....

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2000-09-16          19823

My sentiments exactly. I would be just as happy with the 4100 as the 7500. Although I like the price of 7500 much better... $14000 even for the 7500 with loader, 54" deck, R4 tires, hydrostatic. $14700 for the 4100 with loader, 54" deck, R4 tires, but a gear transmission. But I would have definitely gone with the John Deere if my dealers would have reversed roles. By the way, I hope to take delivery of my new 7500 today, and as you can imagine, I am seriously excited, an will probably not be worth a crap today at work. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login