Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD950 3pt lift capacity

View my Photos
SteveA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-08          19614

Can anyone tell me the lift capability of the 3pt hitch on the JD 950? I'm more curious than anything else, and can't find this number in the manuals. Thanks, Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD950 3pt lift capacity

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-09-09          19619

Try this link: http://www.tractortips.com/ ....

JD950 3pt lift capacity

View my Photos
SteveA

2000-09-09          19632

I just checked tractor tips; 3pt capacity is one of the numbers they left off the page for the 950. But thanks for the link. Anyone else? ....

JD950 3pt lift capacity

View my Photos
TomG

2000-09-10          19646

The spec wasn't on that page for my Ford, nor was it in my manuals. I asked my dealer who came up with a spec.

I think many manufacturers are reluctant to publish 3ph capacities due for liability reasons. There is the possibility that somebody could injure themselves doing something really dumb (putting max capacity on the hitch on a steep hill and using no ballast would likely tip the tractor).

I imagine that most hitches are engineered so the hydraulics stall before anything breaks, so capacity specs are probably more for safety than mechanical reasons. However, if they are safety specs, then how should they be interpreted? Would capacity mean, on level ground, without front ballast, load centre of gravity max of 2' behind the hitch? Anyway, the idea of capacity gets complicated if it means safety.

In my case, I've got 3ph pallet forks that are capable of more weight than would be safe for the tractor or me. With 3ph forks, you don't use the 3ph to lift a load, but if I have capacity doubts, I try to raise it with the 3ph. If the 3ph stalls, I figure I'm over capacity, even though the forks would still raise the load. If the 3ph will lift the load, then I wonder about the ballast. With 4' forks, the weight can be a long way behind the tractor, and the ballast needed depends a lot on how the weight is distributed on the forks. If the steering feels very light, then I figure I need more weight on the front.

Anyway, that's my version of 3ph capacity. The number I got from my dealer isn't very useful to me when actually faced with a task. Besides, I usually don't know exactly how much a load weighs anyway.

JD950 3pt lift capacity

View my Photos
mark

2000-09-10          19679

Steve, I checked the literature that I have on the 950 to no avail. As a general guide the 970&1070 (successor to the 950&1050) list the lift capacity at 2020 lbs. I would imagine the 950 is somewhere in the vicinity of that figure. Hope this info. helps. Regards Mark ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login