Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 420 Loader Hydraulic Question

View my Photos
Ronnie Franks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-04          14441

I have a John Deere 4300 with a 420 loader. I have used the loader in the "float" position which allows the bucket to follow the contour of the ground when you press the scv lever fully forward past the detent. Originally, the lever would stay in this position but now has to be held forward or it will spring back past the detent. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this issue? Regards.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-04-04          14451

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the 420 loader. I also don't know anything about a 4300. I had a 318 with the same problem and the detent was in a valve body that the control levers hooked to. I viewed the service manual and decided the problem was not a small undertaking. The dealer said it would probably be a $600 fix. My advice is that if the 4300 is still under warranty that you should call your dealer ASAP. I may be wrong but a call to the dealer will not cost much. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-04          14465

I agree. The problem is in the spool valve (the thing with the levers on it). The detent is usually just a spring-loaded ball and detent. This gizmo is a common source of problems and repair parts are available for every spool valve that I've ever seen. The detent spring and ball usually lives under the extended cap on the opposite end of the valve from the levers. What I usually do is to take this cap off and see if it is something simple like a broken spring, and if not - just replace the whole valve. The parts are not expensive, but then the whole valve is not expensive. The good valves are a little more than half the price that you have been quoted. If this is a separate valve body, then the valves are outsourced by the company that makes the loader for JD. There are dozens of spool valve manufacturers, and they vary much more widely in quality than in price. None of them costs anything like $600, and most are interchangeable. Any hydraulics house can sell you a replacement. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-04-06          14528

Roger, just to clarify, the $600 quote was a maximum that included the new parts and labor. It seems that labor costs are relatively high and so are John Deere parts. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-07          14532

Yep. They sure are.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login