Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Insurance with Backhoe

View my Photos
Bob Greene
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-12          12740

BobG - Purchased a new JD4300 with loader. Wanted to get a backhoe, but my insurance comany ( American Family) says they will not insure the tractor for liability if a backhoe is attached under a personal, non- business policy. Risk for cutting phone/internet cables, rupturing gas lines, etc. Anyone else running into this. If one company bails out on a certain coverage, others will follow. Anyone running into this issue with a backhoe? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-13          12764

Nope. I'm covered for liability and loss under my home owner's policy. The insurance company knows I've got a back hoe. It is a Canadian insurance company, however. ....

View my Photos
Norman Keller

2000-02-14          12785

I got a real run-around trying to insure my JD 755. Some would, some wouldn't, others outright didn't know. While different companies have different approaches, all policies of a given type (at least in NY, but I assume this is a state governed issue and others are similar) are the same regardless of the carrier. What it appears to boil down to is interpretation of certain key phrases in the policy such as "used to maintain the insured's property" and whether or not the machine is "governed by motor vehicle regulations". The statements are open to rather wide interpretation - for example, does "governed by MV regs." mean that you have plates on it or does it mean that you CAN put plates on it. You can't get that question answered, nor can you get any question answered that is going to limit their ability to interpret the policy at the time of a claim. The best advice that I got, which seems to be the most reasonable, was to interpret the policy as fairly as possible - which, in my case, suggested that I am covered - and worry about it at the time of a claim. This is not comforting at all, but the alternative is contractors' insurance and with a backhoe you are going to pay dearly. ....

View my Photos
Darin Mitchell

2000-02-16          12888

Well people I am really new to all this insurance for tractors and just about everything else. We just purchased our first home in July of 98 and that is why I say that I am really new to this. We have about 15 acres of woods and planned on grading alot of things and that is why I started looking for a piece of equipment, which was confusing enough. But anyway I would really like to know how many people have insured their tractors and if I should or not. I recently purchased a crawler, loader, backhoe and never even thought about insuring this under my home owner policy. And if you people don't mind giving me examples of costs that would be great for me to weigh the pro's and con's of insurance policies on tractors. I am in New York for all those who are going to reply with costs and policies. Thanks in advance

Darin ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-17          12891

I have to give you my Ontario example. It's probably similar to New York practices. I pay $190Can/year on declared value of $25,000 tractor plus implements. The coverage provides for loss and liability, but I imagine the company would play the 'blue book' game, and the coverage actually is for a fraction of the true market value.

I think the coverage extends to theft, valdalism, some storm loss and personal injury liability. I'd be surprised if the coverage extended to damage to buildings, utility lines, septic systems etc. resulting from negligent operation. I am able to use the tractor for non-commercial purposes on other properties and to transport the tractor between our properties.

Think I got what I wanted. Just wanted some protection against loss and to manage if somebody gets hurt. Didn't want to pay huge premiums for greater coverage.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login