Go Bottom Go Bottom

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
mbrown
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-05          109451

Does anyone know of a source other than JDParts for filters and such? It would be nice to be able to order oil and hydraulic filters from somewhere else because with JDParts they ship to the dealer and you still have to go there (not convienient for me). Or does anyone know where you can cross reference part numbers to find a standard filter from an autoparts store that will match the JD filter?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-04-05          109458

ONCE AGAIN,I DONT MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT IT SEEMS THIS SUBJECT OCCURS QUARTERLY.
(WIX): WEB SITE HAS ON OF THE MOST CONPREHENSIVE CROSS REFERENCE'S OUT THERE AND MOST LIKELY MAKE 90 % OF THE OEM FILTERS OUT THERE.
I HAVE WIX FILTERS FOR HYDRAULIC FLUID, ENGINE OIL,DEISEL FUEL FILTER ,PRE FILTER AND AIR FILTERS FOR MY 790 ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-07          109536

Make sure you compare the prices. I did and all of my JD dealer prices were lower than the local Auto store that sold WIX.

David ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
jmiller606

2005-04-07          109541

Fram.com provides a cross reference for you on filters. Gators, Exmark and some compact JD tractors can use Fram oil filters from Wally World. ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
KevPH

2005-04-21          110185

Hey, I recommend Baldwin filters period! Not Wic/Napa brand. I sold the Wic brand (in a past life ;) . Wic produces their producd with the one size fits all thinking. Just because a filter threads onto the oil filter mount doesn't mean the filter is right for all uses. I handled too many customer defective/damage claims. Baldwin is far better product! Before anyone has their feeling hurt using Wic/Napa filters, call your local CAT. equipment dealer or Sunstraind hydraulic repair
shop.Ask Wic filters will void their warrenty. Baldwin filters are sold at better truck parts stores or search Baldwin filters for your web site. ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-04-23          110234

I have to agree with the above that Baldwin is superior to wiX and is the maker of CAT filters, which is good enough for me.

On a similar note I just the other day did my break-in change on my 4110 and installed a JD filter. When I took the original filter off (which I assume is right from Yanmar factory), it felt heavier. At any rate I cut the OEM filter and another JD filter I had, and the original filter had far more pleats (more filtration surface) and was just of heavier construction. I want very much to use JD parts, but this test means I will be getting a Baldwin and maybe a couple others and comparing. ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-23          110241

There are many (engineering) ways to achieve the filtration specs provided by an engine manufacturer. The number of pleats may be irrelevant. A larger number of pleats may mean that the filtration media used in that filter has a slow rate of passage and therefore a greater surface area is needed to achieve the same flow. I used to work in a scientific chemistry lab, we had hundreds of different paper types that could be used in a standard funnel as filter paper for filtering.

There is one known fact:
The OEM spec'ed filter meets the specs for the engine.

As for all other filters, we don't know for sure what specs they meet and what they dont, some are expensive some are cheap. Since we dont know what specs they have to meet its a crap shoot. Baldwin wix fram etc who cares, we cant definitively say that a particular Non-OEM meets the specs for the engine, some probably do, some will not. In any case the brand is irrelevant, its the actual filter used that is required to meet the specs of the engine. ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
Chief

2005-04-23          110244

mbrown, my Deere dealer sends me anything I want via UPS if it can be shipped. It is far cheaper than driving to pick things up. The parts manager gives me a 15% discount to boot. If your dealer won't do this, let me know and I can give you Ricky's toll free phone number at the parts counter and he can ship you what ever you need. Tell Ricky that Randy referred you and you are a TP member and he will give you a discount price. ....

non-JD filters and parts

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-04-28          110482

Agreed that the number of pleats may not necissarily mean it does filter more effectively, I am willing to bet that the paper media used in most of these $3-$8 oil filters is very similar, in which case I will take more than less in the pleat department. The original filter did not just have more paper, it had a heavier wall and heavier internal parts. Don't forget the filter in comparison was the original part installed by Yanmar, who actually makes the engine.

I like to follow "specs" when reasonable but unfortunatley these are usually minimum requirements, not ideal. If they were than I would be changing the oil in my Dodge truck every 7500 miles as was spec'd in the manual, but changing it more often WILL make the engine last longer all other things being equal.

:)

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login