Go Bottom Go Bottom

Input shaft spline or keyed

View my Photos
Coachlarry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-05-07          195124

I was wondering why my shop manual and parts manual show the input shaft with a key way, yet mine is a spline shaft. Am I missing something?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-07          195125

Picture Link
Utility Vehicles UTV/ATV Input shaft spline or keyed

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-07          195126

Picture Link

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195131

Any bunker rake or AMT, which has a like transaxle, that I have seen has a keyed shaft. The only left hand threaded bolt that I have seen is in the early 4x2/6x4 transaxle with the inboard brakes and a completely different case. I'm wondering if those shafts are the same. Stranger things have happened, I suppose. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195133

Well, curiosity was killing me and I had to check. I dug one of each out and there is no way. Different lengths, interior splines, diameters etc. So much for that theory. ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195135

Gatoraider - I can't quite figure this out. The transaxle on my machine is clearly a TuffTorque KT35, as can be seen on their web site. The KT30 has a keyed shaft and a completely different case than the 35, which I believe you are referring to. On the Deere system, all years of 1200a are showing a keyed shaft. Apparently, our machine has a history of breaking the LH threaded cap screw, so I was thinking that I might need to replace the shifter collar and possibly some bearings and other shaft components. Someone said the shaft is bent, but I am not convinced. Ordering parts has now become trickier. My plan for this machine is as follows.

1. Replace extremely shot primary rollers to see if shuddering is fixed.
2. Replace secondary if no luck with #1
3. Remove transaxle and replace worn Input shaft parts and leaky seals.

Any thoughts on that plan? Thanks for checking it out. I guess I can order the parts dorect from TuffTorque if Deere can't figure out the spline issue. ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195136

This is from a 01 4x2 according to a poster on another forum ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195137

When you say you have a KT35 transaxle do you have inboard brakes? I don't think that transaxle belongs in that machine. That certainly explains why you had a left hand thread bolt in the input shaft. That transaxle was in the early 6x4/4x2 Gators. Do the transaxle mounts look like they came from the factory or did someone make them? ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195138

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraider | view 195137
When you say you have a KT35 transaxle do you have inboard brakes? I don't think that transaxle belongs in that machine. That certainly explains why y ...

Looks like we are honing in on it. You think this transaxle might have come off a gator or early AMT?
If so, now what do I do? ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195139

Picture Link

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195140

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraider | view 195137
When you say you have a KT35 transaxle do you have inboard brakes? I don't think that transaxle belongs in that machine. That certainly explains why y ...

Heading to the school now to get some better views of mounts. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195141

If this is the picture of what you have, it is not a K35 it is a K30 and it is a bunker rake K30 because there is a brake disc on the side. No other K30 has that. If it was a K35 it would have internal brakes. Everything in that picture is correct for a K30 except it has a splined shaft. Is the other picture of the input shaft that is in it? That is out of a 4x2 or 6x4. A normal input shaft for a K30 is a lot longer and a smaller diameter. Very strange............ ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195142

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraider | view 195141
If this is the picture of what you have, it is not a K35 it is a K30 and it is a bunker rake K30 because there is a brake disc on the side. No other K ...

Just went to look at it again and you are absolutely correct about it being a K30. And yes, it has the splined shaft. does the shift collar line up with the shift block on either shaft? I wonder if someone just dropped this in?
Either way, it seems like I might be pulling his unit now. Unless the rollers fixes my issue. ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195143

Look interchangeable? ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195144

I think I am starting to catch on. The 1200A after a certain serial number went to the roller style drive clutch that you have. Evidently around that same time they changed the driven clutch to a splined shaft, but didn't change the picture in the book or mention anything about going from a keyed shaft to a splined shaft. I looked part numbers up for the old 4x2 and the bunker rake and one part number I know that is a splined hole is also called for in the bunker rake, So I would say that numbers after that for the bunker rake have splined holes. That picture you posted is for an old 4x2 and will not fit in the K30 that you have. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195145

I think I am starting to catch on. The 1200A after a certain serial number went to the roller style drive clutch that you have. Evidently around that same time they changed the driven clutch to a splined shaft, but didn't change the picture in the book or mention anything about going from a keyed shaft to a splined shaft. I looked part numbers up for the old 4x2 and the bunker rake and one part number I know that is a splined hole is also called for in the bunker rake, So I would say that numbers after that for the bunker rake have splined holes. That picture you posted is for an old 4x2 and will not fit in the K30 that you have. ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraider | view 195144
I think I am starting to catch on. The 1200A after a certain serial number went to the roller style drive clutch that you have. Evidently around that ...

Interesting. So, are we dealing with a third shaft altogether? How on earth would one order parts for that shaft? Haha. did they go from a 10mm RH bolt to an 8mm LH bolt on the shaft in later models? Is there a part to convert keyed sheave to splined? I'm a little scrambled here, but I think I'm catching on. Thank you for helping me solve this. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2016-05-08          195147

Yes, it's just like the one in the book with a shorter splined shaft and that seems to be what you have. It would have to be shorter to accommodate the splined driven clutch that is compatible with the 4x2. If you look at the two pictures you posted the one that goes in the K30 has two sprockets and is altogether a different drive system. That keyed shaft pictured in the parts book sticks out about 6 inches from the case. It looks like the shaft on yours is less than 4 inches and that would accommodate the splined clutch. So I think the inside of your input shaft looks like the picture for the 1200A you posted only with a shorter splined shaft. If you need something for it we can figure it out. The left hand thread was first in the 4x2 then they went to 10mm right hand. I don't know if they ever went to 10mm in the bunker rake. Whew.......... ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-08          195148

Got it; thanks a bunch. Now I know what I am dealing with, so we can go from there. I want to do that axle seal, so will probably tear into this at some point anyway. But first I will see what those rollers do for me. It's little hard to find neutral on this machine, in case that tells you anything about the input shaft or block. by the way, will I reuse hte spacers in the primary for then new rollers? ....

View my Photos
Coachlarry

2016-05-13          195158

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraider | view 195141
If this is the picture of what you have, it is not a K35 it is a K30 and it is a bunker rake K30 because there is a brake disc on the side. No other K ...

Just went to look at it again and you are absolutely correct about it being a K30. And yes, it has the splined shaft. does the shift collar line up with the shift block on either shaft? I wonder if someone just dropped this in?
Either way, it seems like I might be pulling his unit now. Unless the rollers fixes my issue. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login