Go Bottom Go Bottom

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
brianspank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-23          154785

My JD 455 after running for several minutes starts to run rough. When I turn it off and let set for awhile I restart it and it runs ok again for awhile. I replaced all filters. I replaced all injector nozzles. I tested the fuel pump. I removed the thermostat. It appears to be heat related. The engine is not overheating. I am leaning toward something electrical like a relay is heating up and shutting the fuel pump down or the fuel shut-off solinoid down. I going to try adding a inline presure guage to the fuel line to see if when the tractor acks up if the fuel pressure drops. Has anyone ever had a simular problem with a 455 diesel engine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-23          154789

Two things come to mind, a clogged fuel tank cap vent, or possibly a loose or broken hose or connection in the fuel line between the fuel tank and the fuel pump maybe sucking a bit of air. Frank. ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
brianspank

2008-06-23          154792

I would think that if I was pulling air it would have a problem right away. Sometimes I can run for an hour before it acts up. If I put a inline gauge I should see that pressure drop some if pulling air correct? Thanks alot for the input,I've had this problem for sometime and it costing me alot of money.That's why I don't want to take it to a JD shop. ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-23          154793

The clogged fuel vent cap is an easy check - when it runs rough just remove the cap and see if it smooths out. Another hard to find problem could be dirt and debris in the fuel tank. When it settles to the bottom the fuel flow is unobstructed but after driving it for awhile the fuel sloshes around and the debris floats up and clogs the fuel pickup. ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
brianspank

2008-06-23          154794

I did the fuel cap trial, I even purchased a new one. I replaced the vent filter also. The tank had been cleaned afew times. One thing I could try is putting all new fuel lines. Have you had any problems with relays or the diesel fuel module? ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-23          154795

Specific complaints about those fuel system components don't seem to come along too often (and if problems become too complex I suspect many of us let the dealer sort it out). You could probably jumper across the fuel relay to eliminate that as a possible cause. ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-24          154805

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianspank | view 154785
I removed the thermostat. It appears to be heat related. The engine is not overheating.

How are you sure the engine is not overheating? Because there is no thermostat? If there is waterpump problem or clogged radiator removing the thermostat would not solve that.

I had a tractor that did similar to your's. Turned out to be a wasp in the fuel tank at certain fuel level it would float over the fuel intake and shut off the fuel. Do you have a clear fuel filter or water seperator. When it acts up how is the fuel level in it? Even though you have had the problem for a while, are you sure you have clean fuel? Does any other engine get fuel from same tank? If not check it. Could possible be even where you buy from. kt ....

jd 455 running rough

View my Photos
brianspank

2008-06-24          154810

If the temp gauge works it stays right on the lower green line. With the thermostat in it moves just past the green line but definately in the proper operating temp. The reason I pulled the thermostat was to get the temp down to see if the temp sensor was bad and causing the fuel pump to shutdown but it didn't help so I assume the temp sensor is ok.

Yea I have a water seperator and I can see fuel is full. I even replaced to water seperator last year to be sure I was not sucking air through the top of it. I haven't had time to add the pressure gauge yet but that should tell me alot.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login