Go Bottom Go Bottom

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-22          152322

I've been dreaming a bit about trading our 345 Deere for a used four wheel steer. I test drove one several years ago at a Deere dealership during their spring open house and I really liked it. I know they have been around for quite a while so they should be time tested by now. Any opinions pro or con would be appreciated. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-25          152394

I don't know but it's hard to engineer an axle that both can bear extreme loads and steer (which is why forklifts are rear-steer). But I did see I think it was a New Holland compact with a new sophisticated front end for sharp turning. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-25          152395

Frank:

I've been wanting to get one of those myself. The rear end drive and steering mechanisms seem sturdy by visual observation. To reap the benefits you need to get the larger of the two deck sizes offered if you're planning to mow around objects.

Zero turns can rut up your yard where the rear steer will more softly drive over the lawn. You can use it for more projects than a zero turn and it handles uneven terrain better in my opinion.

Cub cadet has a mower than turns very sharp at the front tires kinda like a NH option. I think these also rut up the yard if operated too fast.

I want one but am cheap and can't seem to get anything green, except a hat. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-25          152397

We've had a liquid-cooled gas engine rider with 4 wheel steer at the airport for a few years for doing the trim mowing.

Basically it is for cutting anywhere we can't (or won't) put the 15' bat-wing bush hog cutter behind an 80hp tractor.

It has about 4,500 hours on it, and with the exception of some road-rash, battle scars and regular maintenance, it really has been absolutely trouble-free the whole time. The only repair I've had to do to it has been to replace the HST cooling fan, the plastic got brittle and the blades broke off.

Best of luck. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-25          152416

My neighbor has one. I watched her mow her 2 acres and thought: "What a high-priced gimmick". Just one man's opinion. She was no more efficient than a regular GT--couldn't go fast (with a "beverage" in her paw).

Now, the Cub Cadet "hybrid" zero-turn with the front casters seems like a good idea---but if you look past the skin it's really a zero-turn made to look like a GT--or perhaps vice versa. (Kenny, "vice versa" means "the other way around" :p )

But give a real, commercial zero-turn and I'd be happy. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-03-25          152421

Thanks for the opinions, I think Murf's mower kinda answered any hesitation I might have had. The local dealer has four with from 50 to 115 hours from 8795. to 8995. All look like new. Frank. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-26          152432

I thought about a ZTR, or commercial 3 wheeler, but it didn't fit the bill.

There are also 2 residences, and a pair of businesses that run out of the property, both of which are year-round operations. I wanted something that would cut grass all summer, then be able to clear the walkways and the little bit in front of each hangar or bay door that the big machine cant get to. In addition it runs a tiller for a bunch of garden plots.

The Kubota G series was a perfect fit, besides being a 'standard' rider format it is very user-friendly, everybody is very comfortable on it.

Best of luck. ....

Four wheel steer models

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-03-26          152439

Murf; My misunderstanding. I assumed you were talking about a Deere 4 wheel steer, instead you were refering to a Kubota. OK the Deere models I have looked at are the X724's with the 62C MMM mower. I want to stay with the tractor type instead of the zero turns for the same reasons you gave. thanks, Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login