Go Bottom Go Bottom

Using a log splitter on 2630

View my Photos
pszikszai
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-13          136850

I have previously used my logsplitter on a ford Jubilee.
I have just tried to use it with my JD 2630 using the breakaway coupler as the source for hookup.
Two things happened:
1. The remote cylinder operating lever keeps on returning to the neutreal position.
2. If I manage it to prop it in place it keeps on blowing the return hose, getting an oil bath.

Quesions?
How can I stop the remote cylinder operating lever from resetting?
Is this where (Breakaway coupler) I should be hooking up to?
If not then where?
My parts manual shows a different part number for the plug, breakawy coupler pressure and return plug.
But my JD dealer said he has always seen them to be the same.
What is causing my problem?
Bad control valve or return plug?
Need to hook up somewhere else?
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-13          136859

Many of your questions I can not help you with, but I ran into something that may be possibly your issue. JD DID use a different size coupling than some other tractors. They looked very similar but my understanding will not work with each other. ....

View my Photos
pszikszai

2006-11-13          136862

Thanks.
I found this out also, the hardway and I now JD plugs.
The problem remains.
I also neglegted to mention that I also have a JD front end loader on this tractor. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-14          136883

I am assuming you have used these ports with some other equipment and it does not blow apart. If not, you may want to try that to be sure the female part is locking properly. It does not take much to keep one from locking. ....

View my Photos
pszikszai

2006-11-14          136885

I am not in the agricultural industry and I have never used
the breakaway coupler before. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-14          136889

Log splitters and backhoes should be run off of a Power Beyond Port. ....

View my Photos
pszikszai

2006-11-14          136890

Thanks DRanklin.
Not being in the agricultural industry and being that this is my first JD, I am sorry but I do not understand your suggestion.
I do have manuals and if you have patience to further describe your suggestion I would appreciate it.
Paul ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-14          136891

No problem. A Power Beyond port is a loop of hydraulic hose that comes right off a routing block in the hydraulic system.

It provides full hydraulic flow and pressure to implements that have their own selective control valves.

Tell me more about your tractor, I am not familiar with this model. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-11-14          136893

Be careful what you hook to a JD power beyond circut. There is no internal relief valve in the tractor for the power beyond, this is direct off the pump so the machine you plug into the power beyond MUST have a high pressure relief. Nasty things have happened like split pump housings because a cylinder came to the end of the stroke and the lever did'nt kick back to center. Fluids don't compress so they find their own way out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
pszikszai

2006-11-14          136895

Than you both for your suggestions.
I cant find anything in my manuals about the Power beyod port.
I will ask my JD dealer this Saturday. ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2006-12-06          137686

Part of your problem is the splitter you are using is probably setup for open center hydraulics. Your Ford was open center, but the John Deere is closed center. When an open center valve is hooked to closed center tractor, it will cause the pump to cavitate. Did the hydraulic hoses start jumping or shaking? That is probably why the coupler keeps coming undone. The control lever on the tractor is not designed to stay engaged. You can use the rear couplers if you have a closed center valve, but you will need to tie the lever back with a bungee cord. You might get better flow(faster cycle times on the cylinder) if you put a "tee" in each of the lines where the loader connects under the right step. These connections will provide hydraulic power as soon as the engine starts without having to engage any levers. I hope that makes sense to you and doesn't confuse you futher. ....

View my Photos
jwilly2

2006-12-23          138314

The 2630 JD has a closed center hydraulic system and does not need a 'power beyond'....in fact there is no such thing as 'power beyond' with this type system. You can get hydraulic pressure anywhere you can tap a pressure line and you will not have to worry about a pressure relief valve....this particular pump has it's own built in. You never said, but does your log splitter have it's own control valve for the splitting cylinder or are you wanting to operate that cylinder with the tractor remote lever? I'm assuming it has it's own, otherwise you shouldn't be having the problem you describe. A cylinder is a cylinder and has no knowledge of 'open' and 'closed' center hydraulics....control valves are a different story and will have to match the tractor system to function properly. One way you can usually tell (with a valve that was taken from another application) an open center valve is, it should have had 3 hoses connecting it to the tractor.... one would be a pressure port...one is a return to system pressure....the other is a low pressure return to sump. A closed center valve only uses two hoses...one pressure the other return (low pressure). If your splitter has it's own valve, there is a chance that it is one that can be converted to work with either of the two system types....you would need a special fitting to go from open to closed. If you know what brand valve you have it shouldn't be hard to locate that conversion fitting. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login