Go Bottom Go Bottom

Johnd Deere 318 onan Motor Rebuild

View my Photos
roaf3x
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-05          117439

Does anyone have a source contact to purchase a new Onan for a JD 318. We have one in need of a rebuild and I wanted to price out a new one. Does anyone have a contact in the Northeast that can rebuild. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-06          117470

I might suggest looking at the Honda's that currently are available as a drop in. The opposed cylinder design tends to wear the bottom of the cylinder egg shape making boring a must most ofthe time. ....

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2005-10-06          117485

I agree with Art. Check out the Kohler opposed or V twins they are almost a drop in. I've replaced a number of blown Onans in Bolens and Ariens tractors with the 18and 20 Hp twins. The cast iron seems to hold up better than the aluminum and replacement parts are cheaper. Northern tool has quite a few different models and if you call there 1-800 number they will send you engine layout drawing so you can be sure it will fit. They may have the Onans also. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-10-09          117643

Art is right on. It it is not a honda it is 2nd best or worse. Check out this web site, they have the complete honda kit as well as the low quality replacements. They also list on ebay regularly.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
roaf3x

2005-10-10          117673

I have just found out that we have a bad rod in the Onan. I wanted to know if anyone has done a Honda conversion? Do they work? Are there any extras that are needed that are not included in the kit. My concern is mating the drivetrain old to new.

Thanks!

RD ....

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2005-10-10          117675

I looked at what their site had to offer and they pretty much cover it. The electric PTO clutch mounting, as long as the crank is the same diameter that the big hurtle. If the clutch uses just a torque arm the mounting is easy. If the clutch is mounted to the block then the mounting distances are more critical as the brake may not release or engage fully if the distances are off. The adapter to mate the drive shaft to the flywheel will probably be different, unless they include an custom adapter. A local machine shop can turn your adapter or make a new one for under $50. The mounting holes pattern will probably be different, but it may be a simple as drilling new holes or maybe fabricating a new mount. The exhaust will probably require a little creativity if you use all of your original jd parts. Fuel system should be no problem. Electrically the Honda probably has a built in regulator rectifier. Your Onan probably used a remote mounted unit. One replaces the other just a little rewiring may be needed. Ignition switch, some engines need 12v to the ignition to run and others have a built in magneto, so they have to be grounded to run. The electrical drawings for the tractor and the information supplied with the engine will help you figure that out. Go For It. Re-powered a good tractor chassis will go a lot of years for a minimal investment. I've taken Bolens QTs built in the 70s, stripped them down to just frame and castings and repowered them during the rebuild. Satisfaction. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login