Go Bottom Go Bottom

Blowing water when cranked

View my Photos
James724
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-12          176836

Just replaced head and gasket on 8N. Now, when I crank the tractor I have water blowing out of the radiator cap. I replaced the radiator cap. Still didnt fix water blowing. Does not run hot, does not skip. No water in the oil or vice versa. Is something stopped up? Any info would be great! New radiator also.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-12          176838

Hate to say what it sounds like. Sure it was the right head and gasket? You checked the block surface for irregularities? New bolts, torqued properly? ....

View my Photos
James724

2011-02-12          176839

Replaced head with well cleaned, used original part (I had it checked and cleaned at the cylinder head shop). New gaskets. Torched properly. What should I check next? ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-12          176844

Could be a fault in the block, so you could measure the compression if you have the equipment and know the specs.

If it's not the same coolant that was in before the repair, might be easier to test it for hydrocarbons (combustion gasses). Some garages have a sniffer they can put to a sample you bring in. Some parts stores will lend a sniffer. I've heard there's a way of using emissions-testing equipment (I think in the tailpipe) if you bring the tractor to the shop. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-02-13          176851

Get an adaptor to hook a air line to your spark plug holes. Remove all your plugs first, remove your radiator cap, then put air on one cylinder at a time. Remember, the air pressure will rotate the engine over until the piston is at BDC. While you are testing each cylinder, listen at each plug hole, crankcase fill or vent, and radiator fill hole. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-02-13          176863

Treeman is right. It can tell you where the pressure is relieving into the coolant. Don't over-pressurize -- just a few PSI will be enough to reveal the leak. This trick used to be done with a tire pump.

Or sometimes a new HG or an old bolt will fail. Or if it's the block -- a crack or a bad surface -- it's not that hard to pull the engine.

The final possibility is that they sold you the wrong head. There are sites of "N" parts sellers (some advertised here) and of "N" owners. If you can get numbers off the replacement, why don't you verify it's the right one.

Good luck. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-02-13          176866

You should be able to use 100psi no problem because combustion pressures are way over that. I used to use this method to replace valve seals on medium duty trucks years ago. The pressure will hold the valves closed with out removing the head. When you would hear the bubbling in the coolant, you knew it was time to call the customer with a bigger estimate. ....

View my Photos
James724

2011-02-14          176867

Thanks to all of your answers! Weather permitting tomorrow, I will implement your suggestions. I hope that the block isnt cracked. I just forked out a chunk on garden implements. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-02-14          176878

Use to be you always went back and retorqued head bolts after running some. Have you tried that? ....

View my Photos
Charner

2013-06-29          187542

Could this be your thermostat? Remove it and see what happens. ....

View my Photos
fishin37

2013-06-29          187543

one of two things happened, 1st the head gasket isn't sealed which is obvious with the water blowing out the radiator cap,, warped head or foreign matter between the block and head.. 2nd cracked head which is letting build up of compression in the water jacket in the head.. there is a possible third which would be a crack in a cylinder but unless it try's to hydrolock after setting for awhile its kind of doubt full... good luck

art w. ....

View my Photos
fishin37

2013-06-30          187544

one more thing,, when you torqued the head did you do it as described in the service manual. proper torque and in sequence

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login