Go Bottom Go Bottom

replacement tires

View my Photos
tractorbrad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-17          112533

It's time to replace the tires on my 2000 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins truck. The truck came with 265 75 16's and I'd like to go up a size to 285 75 16's with a tread that's descent in mud and snow. What brand of tires are really good and worth looking at or which ones should be avoided ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

replacement tires

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-18          112549

I like the BFG's. Good in mud and snow low road noise and good tread wear. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
lamarbur

2005-06-20          112577

I just went through this myself with a 01 diesel Dodge. This is the second Dodge in a rown that came with Michelins and I don't like them.. They wear prematurely. anyway, I went with Cooper ATR's and love them.. Sidewalls are solid, excellent wear and great in snow.. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2005-06-22          112651

Did some shopping around and I found a good deal on some Cooper tires for my truck. They say they are a 60K tire but I'm not sure I believe it but it's better than saying nothing at all. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
lamarbur

2005-06-22          112653

I believe mine are 50K tires and at the way they are running, ti should happen with no problem at all ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-22          112659

For the money spent; it is tough to beat the Walmart Liberator AT's. I have a set of Liberator 285-75R-16's on my Dodge and they have been great tires. This size even fits in the spare tire compartment but just barely. I paid about $95 each for the Liberators. They are load range D but had the same or slightly more load carrying capacity than the OEM Michelins. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-06-23          112662

have a set of general (tr)s on my f250 4 wd holding up well,highway and severe off road (logging) ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-23          112663

I'm running Firestone Steeltex A/T 265x75x16 on my F250. I have about 49,000 miles on these factory tires. They're starting to show wear but plan on getting another 10K or so out of them. Traction is good and they have held their balance well with only a couple of tire rotations. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2005-06-25          112761

I ended up getting 285/75 16 Mastercraft Courser AT tires which are made by Cooper and look like their Discoverer LT. Tires look nice and seem to ride better than the the Michelin LTX 265/75 16 tires that were the OEM tires. The tires do make a minimal amount of noise over the Michelin's but with the radio on and the Cummins purrin' you don't notice it. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
its_that_guy@yahoo.c

2005-06-26          112782

The Bridgestone Revo Duelers have gotten pretty good comments over on some of the Dodge/Cummins boards as a good all around tire.. I will need tires for my truck before winter, and they are what im going with.. I am going to keep the same 265/75/16 size in an E load range..

good luck ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-25          119835

I had a gas Dodge that also came with Michelins. They wore out very quickly. Talked with two Michelin dealers both said they were an OEM tire they could not get. Replaced them with Michelin and got very good service. Then replaced those with Uniroyal. Road stiffer but pulled much better in dirt. Steering responded better with the Uniroyal. Now, who owns Uniroyal? It is Michelin? It is some European company along with Goodrich. By the way one of those dealers is also Goodrich and he said they are the worse for picking up stuff into the tire. I have had that problem with Goodrichs on present pickup and had it with the Uniroyals also. I mean like broken wrenches and screwdrivers. He said he had no idea why but they were very bad for that. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-25          121696

I had good luck with the Goodyears on my dually and replaced them at 70K-80K with the same, although off branded, but they are a road tire. I looked at going a little wider but with the duals it is hard and I did not want to loose my load rating. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
daveinnh

2005-12-31          122074

I just bought a 2nd set of Nokian Vattiva tires for my 1/2 chevy pickup. The first set lasted 50k. I have LT265/75R16's and found they're sized right for my truck . The tread is agressive, yet quiet, and doesn't hold small stones (hate that click-click-click). The tire dealer priced these much cheaper than the Bridgestone Duelers I was looking at; Nokian isn't really a widely distributed brand.

replacement tires

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-31          122075

I had never heard of the Finnish Tire Company until a few years back. Bridgestone owns a percentage in them also. The sale people seem to like the tire. They seemed expensive to me. The price on the web is not that good. ....

Link:   Nokian Tires

Picture Link
Pickup Trucks and Trailers replacement tires

replacement tires

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-31          122076

I was going to post this earlier. There are a limited number of tire manufacters in the US and a hundred different names. The link below shows the plants in NA. I wish I had a list with the names on the tires to the companies making them. ....

Link:   Inter relationship of tire companies

replacement tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-31          122078

It's important to know that just because a manufacturer makes and sells tires under other brands they aren't necessarily the same quality as those sold under the manufacturers brand. I used to sell a privately branded tire made by Firestone that seemed much better than anything Firestone sold under their name. A good thing to do is look at the tire cross section if available. Make sure the steel belts run shoulder to shoulder and check the tires traction/temperature/wear ratings. You'd be surprised how skinny the belts are on some major brands. I remember seeing a Goodyear tire that had a 2" wide steel belt even though the tread was around 8" across. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-31          122079

I suspect it is a little like the car lines. One plant or line puts out a lot better tire than another although they are under the same company. Many of the plants were very old. I did a lot of work in a old General Tire plant in PA that dated back to 1900. The problems that Firestone had with the tires on the Explorer boiled down to one line in one plant. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-13          126042

I know this post is old, but I just got some new tires for my 2500 Dodge. I went with some pretty new tires, BFG commercial T/A Traction. Was not real sure about them the first week, seemed a little squirly on the road, but this week they seem to be fine. Alot better traction than the OE Michelins M/S (mighty slick) that I replaced.
For the first time after a rain, I did not have to put my truck in 4wd to hook up to trailer.
I did get 66K out of the Michelins though. JC ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-13          126047

I was at Walmart last Friday having my tires balanced and rotated as well as patching a flat and the Liberator tires are now called Kelley Liberators but appear to be the same tire and are now selling for $108.98 each. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-13          126051

I put a set of these on my 84 4runner, but can't remember if they were available in load range E. I'll be getting another set for my wifes Xterra when I get the tax refund. JC ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-13          126056

Softer tires that grip better usually wear out faster.
I prefer Wranglers on my Dodge P.U. I run 41psi and rotate very 6K and almost always get 60k out of a set. They give me a good ride, no squealing and spin like crazy on wet grass or wet snow. For MPG and wearabilty and ride tho they can't be beat. ....

replacement tires

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-13          126060

tractorbrad

Check out the attached link. I explains the rateings on tempature, wear, traction for tires. Good info and well worth reading if you are going to by tires. ....

Link:   

Click Here

replacement tires

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-13          126064

I hated the wet grass performance of my Michelin M/S tires and wanted better grip this go around. I hope to drive the truck less when I get my new 84 4runner in better shape. JC ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login