Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
jcollins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-22          165851

I have a Cub Cadet 2160 (1st set of serial numbers). I have been having problems with the transmission. Originally, after warming up for a few minutes it would stop it's forward movement when going up a slight incline. After about 30 seconds, with the gas pedal pushed all the way down, it would take off as if nothing was wrong. This would be repeated each time I began mowing up a slight hill. It seems to work fine in reverse. Yesterday I started the tractor but could not get it to move forward in any gear.
Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-22          165855

Not sure but assume this is a Hydo trans, right? You have checked all the obvious such as fluid level, change filters as per manual, looked for loose linkage or stick in it preventing full operation. You are running a good rpm and not idle and not in higher range than you should be for the grade, have you tried the same grade in lower range if there is a lower range?

So does it do this when pulling also on level ground or only when you hit a grade? ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
jcollins

2009-09-23          165874

Yes it is a hydro.Fluid level is ok. It was low awhile back due to a leak in the axle seal. Refilled it with a Mobil synthetic oil that was recommended by my parts supplier. No filters to change on the 2160. Removed the deck and blew out all the debris. Everything looks clean.I recently put a new motor in it (got about 20 hours on it now). Runs well. Does not move in any gear except reverse. Read something on this site about a model 2135(?), shim washers in the clutch - too much clearance & the clutch slips. Don't know if could be the same thing. ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
jcollins

2009-09-24          165905

The more I read, the more I think I do not have a hydro. It does have a shifter on one side for gears 1-6. the parts list show clutch plates and friction disks.

The model# I refered to in my last post was incorrect as well. It was not a 2135 I read about it was a 2130. ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-24          165911

I was hoping someone who knows the Cub Cadet would chime in to give the info you really need but they will.

Not familiar with the new Cub tractors but the Hydro trans does still have clutch and shift levers. But the shift levers are normally shifting "ranges" and not gears. Or at least the tractors I have noticed what they call them. Question or two will tell you real quick if you have the hydro trans, do you have a pedal you push normally on the right floor to go foward and another to back up? If think you have hydro. If not doubt it.

When you put the tractor in gear (when it was working) and let out the clutch did it move just as any other manual transmission would? If so then you probably do not have a hydro trans.

You may has addressed this but have you looked to be sure your linkage is still all connected and nothing interfering with its full engagement?

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
jcollins

2009-09-25          165915

First of all, I want to thank you for all your input. I am not sure how old the tractor is, it came with a house I bought 6 years ago. I know when I replaced the motor, the build code on it was 1994.

It does have a pedal for forward and a different pedal for reverse. When you put the tractor in gear & release the clutch it did not move until you pushed the pedal down. You can also control your speed by how far down you push the pedal, just like in a car, while being limited by which gear you are in.

I took the deck off the frame, blew out all the debris & looked at all the linkage. Everything looks ok.

At this point I am about ready to remove the clutch assembly and tear it apart to find out if I can see anything wrong with it. I have considered trying to find a used one (e-bay has one for $175), but hesitate buying used if my issue is a common problem. ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-25          165927

You have describe a hydo drive.

Have looked back at your post and you have reach my limit, sorry. ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-09-25          165930

I'm not familiar with that model but it has an "AGS"-automatic gear system which is some sort of gear driven unit that has separate clutches for forward and reverse that operates with pedals similar to what hydros do.

I just typed "Cub Cadet 2160" in google and found lots of info. Apparently this model has had some clutch (drivetrain) issues particularly if you ride-the-clutch. There is also a craigslist unit in Delaware that was offered on 9/9/09 for only $350.00. Parts should be readily available through your local dealer. ....

Transmission trouble

View my Photos
jcollins

2009-09-25          165939

Thanks for the info. I did see some of it. Missed the AGS & Craigslist. Looks like I will be tearing it down. Clutches, clutch plates and shim washers don't appear to cost much, about $2 to $7 range.

This is a great site! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login