Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet hydraulic transmission fluid

View my Photos
billsher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-25          163638

Hello, I have a Cub Cadet 7234 manual transmission.It is about 12 years old with 500 hours on it. I am looking for a substitute hyd. fluid, as the cub cadet brand is just too expensive. I cant find any information about the type or viscosity of the original hyd. fluid. I think it holds around 6 gallons with a new filter. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-26          163646

I think you only have to find out if it takes straight hydraulic oil or combination hydraulic/transmission fluid. Walmart stocks both in drums (here they're termed 19 litres) at a good price.

If you get the filter from other than the dealer, it may look and fit like the factory one but not be designed for this application. ....

View my Photos
washington2

2010-12-21          175900

Go in to any store that sells oil & tell them you need hydraulic oil that goes into a tractor. All compact tractors now day use the same type of hyd. oil & all major oil companys make oil that is compatiable with you Cub c. In washington we pay about $85.00 for 5 gallons of oil. I seen it as high as $100.00 at the JD dealer. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-22          175905

Washington2;

Yes and no. Yes, the one oil fits all will work but if internal wet brakes and a power shift type transmission are part of the tractor you may get brake chatter or rough shifting.
No, it probably doesn't mater if your tractor has dry brakes and uses a conventional sliding gear transmission.
Factory branded oils are generally higher priced than will fit brands but do have the additive package specific for that brand and will perform better.
There are some good aftermarket filters available but I can only think of a couple brands I'd use other than factory. The good aftermarket filters may cost even more than factory, but I'd avoid anything sold at Wal Mart.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES
Posts: 75 187 Valentine Road, Charlton/Ballston Lake, NY 12019
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-24          175927

I would Buy the BEST Oil that you can get. You don't change it very often. Look at the Investment that you are Protecting!
Most Hyd Oil is Only between $60 to $100 Per 5 Gallons. It's worth the Investment to get the Best. Most Brands recommend between 200 to 600 Hours between Hyd oil Changes. Penney's per Hour of Use. ....

View my Photos
3rdbase

2014-02-21          189105

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsher | view 163638
Hello, I have a Cub Cadet 7234 manual transmission.It is about 12 years old with 500 hours on it. I am looking for a substitute hyd. fluid, as the cub cadet brand is just too expensive. I cant find any information about the type or viscosity of the original hyd. fluid. I think it holds around 6 gallons with a new filter. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Cub Cadet 5234D (2004). The Cub Cadet Hydro/Transmission fluid is currently $50.00 per gallon. My machine uses 5 gallons. I have in the past spoken at length with my local Cub Cadet dealer and finally Cub Cadet about seeking an alternative Hydraulic/Transmission fluid. The answer I've received is that the Cub Cadet Hydraulic/Transmission is the only fluid that I can safely use. And here's why.

The Cub Cadet Hydro/Transmission fluid is a full synthetic fluid. This differs from the other Hydro/Transmission fluids on the market. I was told that if I replace the synthetic fluid with standard "hydraulic/transmission" fluid, the tractor will work however, the standard fluid will eat away the gaskets and cause leaks. This will ultimately void any warranty and ultimately do harm to the tractor. In essence, the tractor is dependent on the synthetic hydro/transmission fluid.

I've searched for "synthetic hydraulic/transmission" fluid for years and have never found a viable replacement product on the market. In the end, the tractor and implements were expensive enough, that I don't take a chance on destroying it with the non-synthetic fluid. In my case, the fluid must be changed every 200 hours.

If anyone has a source for "synthetic hydraulic/transmission fluid" please post it here. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login