Go Bottom Go Bottom

Craftsman Garden Tractor at Detroit Auto Show

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-28          181807

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM TODAY'S N.Y.TIMES. IF ONLY THE ENGINEERING DEPT (not that Sears even has one) WAS AS GOOD AS THE PUBLICITY DEPT.

Features of the new CTX, to be introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next month, includes automatic traction control, electronic fuel management, cruise control and a console with cupholders. But it’s not a car or a truck: it’s a lawn tractor.

According to Kris Malkoski, Craftsman vice president and general manager, CTX is a premium tractor series, priced from $3,000 to $6,500, and available “loaded with automotive features.”

“Premium tractor purchasers typically own their own homes, have two acres or more of property and they really care about how their landscaping looks to others,” Ms. Malkoski said in a telephone interview. “And they like their tractors to offer creature comforts and special features, which mirrors the trends seen in the automotive category.”

No infotainment system is available, at least not yet. “Future models will have a plug-in for the iPod,” she said. Craftsman, which celebrates its 85th anniversary under Sears auspices in 2012, will have a booth in the auto show’s concourse area and passers-by will be encouraged to pose for photos on the tractor.
Carmakers worried about an invasion of lawn tractors need not worry, says Joe Rohatynski, an auto show spokesman. “The show itself is being kept exclusively to new vehicles from the world’s automakers and tier one suppliers,” he said in a telephone interview. “Visitors will see Craftsman along with many other family-oriented exhibits, including contests and kids’ zones, in the lobby of Cobo Center.”

The CTX produces up to 30 horsepower from the Briggs & Stratton motor. Eight miles an hour is achievable. The new entry, on sale at Sears stores in February, would presumably be a hot prospect for events staged by the United States Lawn Mower Racing Association, because many lawn tractors leave the factory with five- or six-horsepower engines. According to the official rules, the competition is open to “all self-propelled rotary or reel style” mowers. “I think it would win every race,” Ms. Malkoski said.

“Bring it on,” said Bruce Kaufman, the founder and president of the racing association, who notes that a sense of humor is “strongly encouraged.” He said in a telephone interview that some modified racing lawnmowers produce 45 horsepower and reach 60 m.p.h. or more.

He noted that lawn-mowing equipment actually has a history at auto shows. The association brought a small fleet of competitive tractors to the opening day of the 2006 show in New York, he said

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-29          181808

Yup and Sears is closing a large number of stores as well due to bad Marketing! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-29          181812

IT is a shame that it looks so gloomy for Sears. For years to me they really had quality at least in tools. Never been a fan of their mowers, the model I owned and family has had.

My deal is where are the riding mowers with a/c? Keep the cupholder and on a ztr at best a joke. The 8 mph is creeping for the Dixie Chopper which is out of Ohio I think. Not a southern company is all sure of.

View my Photos
winston1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-29          181817

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181812
IT is a shame that it looks so gloomy for Sears. For years to me they really had quality at least in tools. Never been a fan of their mowers, the model I owned and family has had. My deal is where are the riding mowers with a/c? Keep the cupholder and on a ztr at best a joke. The 8 mph is creeping for the Dixie Chopper which is out of Ohio I think. Not a southern company is all sure of.

You caught my attention about the 8 mph creeping so I did a little looking. Seems at least one model of the Dixie chopper will move at 15mph. That seems rediculous to me. World is in to big of a hurry now a days. Sure wouldn't have time to sip a drink on that thing. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-30          181831

If a person can sip a drink even with a straw using a ztr at 15 mph and keep it straight I am impressed. For fact his lawn is smoother than mine and also longer. Have looked at the Dixie Chopper just cause my Bush Hog dealership is now a Dixie Chopper also and don't remember if they have seat belts or not but at that speed turns come up quick.

I wonder if they have an easy method to control the speed for on the few ztrs I have used it is very hard not to run them full speed with the controls they use. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-30          181833

The Dixie Chopper web site shows an Indiana state logo as their place of manufacture. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-01-03          181863

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1 | view 181817
You caught my attention about the 8 mph creeping so I did a little looking. Seems at least one model of the Dixie chopper will move at 15mph. That seems rediculous to me. World is in to big of a hurry now a days. Sure wouldn't have time to sip a drink on that thing.

Keep in mind those machines are designed to be primarily commercial units where time is money, big money!

Some of our bigger turf units will cut 9+ acres an hour, in real world, not on paper.

However lots of the smaller units find their way into homeowners yards also, I know of lots of folks around here cutting their lawns with 'commercial' units capable of 3+ acres an hour.

Sure makes short work of the 'honey-do' list.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2012-01-10          181968

Welp I just saw the Craftsman mower (nothing to brag about) at this year's car show. It was on TV news as the autoshow is gearing up. The reporter was a bit befuddled why Sears would have a display there. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-01-10          181969

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwks | view 181968
..l...The reporter was a bit befuddled why Sears would have a display there.

Could be in line with the befuddled marketing message that Sears has been making of late and the closing of many stores.

They should not be marketing a Garden Variety tractor at an auto show unless you are into comedy! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-01-10          181970

If anybody has any 'spare change' left in their pocket, here's my tip.

Before 2012 is out I'm willing to wager Sears files for Chapter 11 protection, if not all out pull the plug, pack the good china, bankruptcy.

Today Sears Holding Corp. (NASAQ:SHLD) closed at $30.39, if they pull the plug, it will be worth less than 10% of that.

Today's stock short courtesy of your friends north of the border, LOL.

I see the Deetwoit Auto Show as the last ditch effort to get sales numbers above some arbitrary level set by the Board of Directors or they pull the plug.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-01-10          181972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 181970
If anybody has any 'spare change' left in their pocket, here's my tip.Before 2012 is out I'm willing to wager Sears files for Chapter 11 protection, if not all out pull the plug, pack the good china, bankruptcy.Today Sears Holding Corp. (NASAQ:SHLD) closed at $30.39, if they pull the plug, it will be worth less than 10% of that.Today's stock short courtesy of your friends north of the border, LOL.I see the Deetwoit Auto Show as the last ditch effort to get sales numbers above some arbitrary level set by the Board of Directors or they pull the plug. Best of luck.

But Murf, you don't understand how it works here in the USA. If Sears simply changes the party it makes political donations to they will be designated "too big to fail" and will get bailouts! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-01-11          181981

Maybe you're onto something Ken.

If they put their mowers in the Auto Show they could claim they're automakers!! LOL

Hey, they could try to form a 'strategic alliance' with a European mower company!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login