Foton 404 tractor 3pt does not lift: Chinese Tractors -- Other  -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Foton 404 tractor 3pt does not lift: Chinese Tractors -- Other -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-14-2013, 02:12 Post: 188455
yocsr1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Foton 404 tractor 3pt does not lift

Now that Greg helped me get the electrical lined out it's on to the 3pt problem. I bought a 2006 4 cyl. 404 with a loader and it has 53 hours on it. It has mostly sat and all outside. The guy raised the box blade and loaded it on my trailer. I got home and the 3pt won't work. The loader works fine. I checked the valve under seat. The fluid level is 3/4 between lines not screwed in. It's a 2 lever model. I've tried it every which way. The parts manual shows a drain plug lower left rear which mine doesn't have. Do I pull the lower hose off to drain? Is there a filter or screen that would effect the 3pt and not the loader? Anyone have any ideas! Larry.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-14-2013, 07:35 Post: 188456
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

You may be using the wrong lever. There should be two rear lift control levers to the right of the operator seat. The outer lever I'm pretty sure is the draft control. The inner one is the position control (lift/lower). You only use the draft control lever in conjunction with a ground engagement implement such as a plow, box blade, ripper, etc. The draft control lever is used to set the max depth to which these implements "dig". When that level is reached, the hitch automatically raises back up to the level preset by the lever. Any other time, the draft lever is to remain in the OFF position. Only problem is, I don't remember on that tractor whether OFF is full up or full down. You'll have to try both ways. Any other position than OFF will disrupt normal operation of the position control.

Alternatively, the guy that loaded your tractor may have locked the implement up in the air with the flow control valve (don't ask me why). Like most compact tractors, that valve should be the knob in front of and just below the operator seat. If that gets closed when an implement is off the ground, no fluid can get back into the sump. Hence, the position control lever "appears" not to work.

//greg//

12-15-2013, 14:50 Post: 188469
yocsr1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Greg, I tried the levers like you said and the valve under the seat. It still won't work. The loader works fine so the pump has to be ok. The guy raised it to load it and all I did was haul it home and it hasn't worked since. If I need to replace o rings will I have to remove the seat section? Do I need to remove the whole unit or just take the top cover off to do it? Looks like the seat section has to come off either which way. Larry

12-16-2013, 10:31 Post: 188475
hardwood

TP Contributor

I know nothing about a Foton tractor, but a thought occurred. Could there perhaps be some sort of a mechanical safety transport latch holding the blade up like on a backhoe boom that has to be released manually before the 3 pt. will come down?

Frank.

12-16-2013, 14:20 Post: 188476
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocsr1 | view 188469
Greg, I tried the levers like you said and the valve under the seat. It still won't work. The loader works fine so the pump has to be ok. The guy raised it to load it and all I did was haul it home and it hasn't worked since. If I need to replace o rings will I have to remove the seat section? Do I need to remove the whole unit or just take the top cover off to do it? Looks like the seat section has to come off either which way. Larry

First off, I'm still not sure if it's permanently stuck in the up position - or if you let it down when you got home, and it won't raise up again. Let's start there.

//greg//

12-16-2013, 18:30 Post: 188479
yocsr1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

It's down and won't raise. Larry.

12-17-2013, 08:02 Post: 188480
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Got it. Owner must have used a lever or another tractor to raise the box for show. Turned the knob under the seat to lock it there. Once you let it down, all the fluid rushed back into the sump.

Odds are it's lift cylinder ring/seals. Not an expensive job, nor is it difficult. But it can be messy. I've never done a lift cylinder on a Foton, but the procedure is reasonably similar among Chinese tractors. Technically you should be able to do it with the seat in place, but it's your decision once you see how much working clearance you've got. Drain the sump first. The cylinder should then be accessible by removing the rear (and possibly front) sump plate(s). At that point it should become clear how to get the piston out of the cylinder. Strip off the old ring(s) and seal(s), install new, clean out any residuals that might contaminate the fresh fluid, reassemble.

//greg//

12-17-2013, 17:04 Post: 188481
yocsr1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks Geg, I ordered a rebuild kit from Thomas at Affordable Tractor ($35). While I was at it I ordered all new filters for air,oil, and hydraulics. I figured as long as it sat would probably be for the best. It looks like the seat section will have be removed as there's no clearance. All the kids coming in for xmas this weekend, between getting things ready, the event, and aftermath it will probably be a week or so before I can start on it. I may have more questions after that. Thank you and have a good holiday. Larry.

12-28-2013, 18:07 Post: 188542
yocsr1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Well I got the rebuild kit. First go around I just replaced the main cylinder O ring and wiper, put it back together and got nothing. Second time I removed the carb plate and main block and took apart what I could get and cleaned and sprayed down with WD and blew it all out, and still nothing. The parts book is different than what I actually have. There's a oneway valve the book shows seat, slide, spring and mine is seat, spring, slide. The springs too short to work the way the book shows. I used air to move the piston out to where I could get the O ring on so I know the piston moves. I'm at a loss!!! Larry.

12-29-2013, 07:43 Post: 188544
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Unfortunately Chinese tractor manufacturers are quite poor at keeping their manuals current with changes they make to the machinery. This is likely an issue you'll have to work out with the service department at a Foton dealership.

I am unclear as to what you're calling a "one-way valve" though. Where specifically is this located, and what (do you think) is its function?

//greg//

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Thread 188455 Filter by Poster:
greg_g 5 | hardwood 1 | richwaugh 2 | yocsr1 13 |

Most Viewed

+ FOTON TRACTOR Review
+ FOTON TRACTORS
+ some info on lenar tractors.
+ The truth about Lenar
+ Foton 404 Good or BAD
+ Rural King Tractors
+ Branson Tractors
+ DongFeng DF-Bulldog 38hp vs Kama 35hp
+ KAMA and Tai Shan Tractors