Go Bottom Go Bottom

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
lot0210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-01          149798

what is it? Gator Mule or another type.
For me it is a tie between a Gator 6by4 and a Cushman turf truckster. The Gator for it's complete off road ability and the Truckster for its speed as well as hauling ability.

-lot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
kleinchris

2008-01-01          149803

I have had three gators- still have 2 of them... all have been company owned. When it comes time for me to get one of my own, it probably won't be another Gator. Too many little problems/ flimsy parts. Tires for a Gator can be expensive and limited.

I drove a Rhino recently- really liked the speed (about twice that of the Gator.)

Although, my old 6 wheeled Gator couldn't be beat for pure power. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-02          149815

I've owned every series Gator that Deere has built. The XVU ,series I have now is their best yet for speed, power, ride, etc. Frank ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-02          149823

Technically, what you guys are talking about are called UTV's.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article.jsp?ID=21010742

That out of the way, my favorite ATV is the Honda Rincon. It is the like Gold Wing of ATV's. Top of its class. liquid cooled. No drive belts, pulleys or carburetors. It is big, comfortable and powerful and fast.

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-02          149826

Drankin, yes now that I think about it you are correct. I'm not sure if d
Deere still builds an ATV, the local dealer refused to sell them for liability reasons. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-02          149828

For an ATV, one of the Hondas for sure, either Rincon or Rubicon.

For an ATV, although I'll be one of the first after the new Honda set to arrive this summer, at the moment, either a golf cart or a Turf Truckster, you really can't kill either of them.

Generally speaking a golf cart can't be beat for the price either.

Frank, JD didn't build an ATV, they bought them from Bombardier in JD colours.

Best of luck. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Chief

2008-01-02          149837

I'm real happy with the 2005 Honda Foreman 500 and the 2005 Recon 250ES. Both have been great performers and are very miserly with the gas. Very reliable. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-03          149838

Deere did sell a re-branded ATV for a couple of years.... I think it was a Polaris?

I wasn't too impressed, especially since they charged more than the original manufacture for an identical machine. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-03          149839

Murf got the manufacturer right, It was that B word.

Then he has to go and mention a new Honda....... So I just had to go to the web site and look.

Damn. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
kleinchris

2008-01-03          149843

I would love to here from somebody who has a JD Buck- especially the big one. That would be the perfect machine for me as far as work goes- that is if I can aslo get a tractor so I wouldn't have to plow with the Buck.

I didn't mention before that I used to plow with with the 6 wheeled diesel Gator- and it could easily handle more snow than the plow had height. It was the older style rigid frame that sat pretty close to the ground, so I would get stuck if I got too aggresive or cocky. But it was great while I was moving. Those were the days...

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Chief

2008-01-03          149844

Bombardier makes pretty decent stuff but not worth the price Deere was charging for it. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-03          149856

Does anyone have a link to those Hondas Murf was talking about? I haven't been able to find them on Hondas web site. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Chief

2008-01-03          149857

Ken, here is where I purchased my Honda's. You may decide on a lesser model when you see the price though. I sure did. ;-)

Link:   Lake Hill Motors

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-03          149858

Ken.... see if this link works.

Click on the "Big Red" box. ....

Link:   

Click Here

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-04          149865

Thanks for the links. The Big Red looks sort of like a "me too" product, average and not too exciting.

What am I missing? ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-04          149866

Good greif, is that thing ugly!!! That's a face only a mother could love. Frank. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
mobilus

2008-01-04          149873

I've owned a Yamaha Big Bear 4X4 350 for ten years, and I've always been impressed with it. The Big Bear 400 is as close to it as they make now. With a Bigfoot tire kit and winch, it'll go just about anywhere. The only thing to watch is that due to motor placement, it can be a little top heavy under severe conditions.

I like Yamaha products. I question the ever increasing engine size though, and suggest that you choose an ATV that fits your needs, not falling for the biggest thing they sell. A lot of my friends make fun of my "little" Yamaha V-Star 650...and they have 1300 to 1800cc bikes. But I just ride to work and errands mostly, so buying the 650 was the smart thing to do, especially in the area of finances.

I also have friends with Honda Ranchers and they are very good work platforms. They're built kinda on the same concept as a 3/4 ton pickup is versus a 1/2 ton.

At least that's the way I see it.

Mark ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-04          149875

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 149865
Thanks for the links. The Big Red looks sort of like a "me too" product, average and not too exciting.What am I missing?

It is the internal engineering that is exciting and cool.

Probably the most advanced aspect is the Honda transmission and drive system.

When Kubota jumped into the UTV market they were the only non-belt drive system.

But after my experience with an RTV I can tell you that the drive system is needlessly heavy, overly complicated and quite inefficient in terms of how much power is absorbed and never gets to the wheels.

Honda Rincon/Big Red uses a three speed automotive type transmission, a torque converter and drive shafts just like your pick-up truck.

As far as I can tell everyone else is still using belts that wear out and pulleys that slip if you get them wet.

Add state of the art electronic fuel injection, radial tires, a big powerful liquid cooled gas engine, disc brakes and independent suspension all around and you have a top of the line outfit.

It may not be purty, but it has some world class engineering.

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-04          149876

As Mark mentioned, for my point of view the engineering and thought that went into this machine is absolutely top drawer stuff.

They have obviously had a real good look at the competition and what it's owners are saying about them before putting pen to paper (mouse to desk?) on this one.

Interestingly enough, if you look around the 'net a bit for opinions on this machine, several boards have little good to say about it, one in particular is really down on it. Although I don't share their opinion on tractor stuff either, so take it for what it's worth. ;)

IMHO it's not much different in looks from the competition.

Best of luck. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-04          149882

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the design was basically the same on all of them but have done no real research. I'd love to get something like that but it will have to wait until we build a new shop, and that will have to wait until my wife finds a new job (she was a victim of the last round of Intel layoffs). It's always something :( ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Gearhead

2008-02-04          151101

I have a 450 yamaha grizzly. THe atv has taken me werever iv'e wanted to go. Good power and size. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
pitt_md

2008-02-19          151469

Well I have only owned one in my life. Bought a new Polaris sportsman 500 Ducks Unlimited edition in 2001 and still have it. Its been bullet proof and worked hard all the time. Plows snow like nobodys business pulls all kinds of stuff from downed trees to trailers loaded with firewood, paddles across deep water like it was made for it. I found out after the fact that indeed it was made to swim :) ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-02-20          151486

I have an Argo Bigfoot,it is a machine that can take me,wife and 2 kids anywhere. I use it weekly to haul firewood and trail maintenance,I have never had a problem with this machine.Anyone else own a 6x6/ ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-20          151488

We have an Argo 8 wheeler, while it's true, it will go anywhere, it's also very loud and very slow.

It's good for accessing remote areas in deep snow though, but again, far slower than a snowmobile would be.

Generally we now use it a few times a year to access job sites that have been shut down during the winter, to break trail, or for hunting.

Best of luck. ....

your favorite ATV

View my Photos
RichieC

2008-02-23          151624

I have a Suzuki King Quad F 350 [2000] that I have abused for many a year :-) . Thing is like a small tank & aside from one complaint I have with the CV boots, I am satisfied with this 4 wheeler. Use it to skid timber, winch downfalls, ride my trails & numerous other routine chores. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login