Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-23          100836

I am trying to be a good tractor owner and grease my loader, backhoe, and tractor every now and then. I pull the tractor out into the yard, pump the grease in, bring out hordes of rags and try to wipe all the excess off. What a mess! Getting into all the joints and removing the excess alone is a major feat.

I try to get a rag in some of the tight spots and use a screwdriver to remove some excess. I have to go around the yard to pick up grease that fell off in the process. And after you are all done you have usually ruined your work shirt. Later you inevitably get off the tractor with some grease on your pants!

Anyone have any tricks to keep this mess to a minimum? I know that a couple of pumps of grease is probably all you need in any joint. I like to see the new grease squeeze from the joint before I am satisfied. Sometimes that takes 3 or 4 pumps of the gun.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-23          100837

It's a mess. I don't know a better way.

You only get it on your shirt and pants? You should see how much shampoo it takes to get it out of your hair.

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-11-23          100839

DR, no tricks huh? LOL. I wish I could reprocess all that recovered grease and use it again. What a waste of money!! ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-23          100840

I do it in the garage with a large flat pice of cardboard under it. I use latex gloves & a rag which i dispose of right after i'm done. Luckily I hardley get it on my clothing. I use a popsicle stick for the gobbs left on the fitting. I dont clean the popsicle stick off i just throw it away when it is loaded & get anouther one. That aviods contact. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-11-23          100841

And another thing DR, if the grease gets in your hair that's alot of square inches to cover since I've heard you have a size 10 German skull! I personally use "Fast Orange" pumice cleaner with citris scent (my sensitive side) to clean up the grease. I hope you don't use pumice to get grease out of your hair!! :) ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-23          100843

Chief wears a size 10 hat. I only wear a size 9.....

I am going to try the pumice... and the popsicle stick trick, but I don't know about the latex gloves.

Rubber gloves and grease bring up bad memories of trips to the doctors office. Yikes! ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-23          100845

LOL !! ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-23          100874

I don't have the problem about grease in the hair. I have only a few dozen or so up there. ;O) I just grease and wipe up as best I can as I go along. I still get grease all over my shirt and pants anyway. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
harvey

2004-11-24          100887

You really wanna hear some HOWLING about greasy rags? Take em in and throw in the washer with hot water...That reminds me I need to get a shop washer.

Cheap grease wipes right off and good grease clings like a good turd on the back of the toilet. Let me bring up the howling thing again...

I leave the grease around the joints it helps capture dirt and junk. I do wipe off the exposed fittings. The recessed hole on heavy machinery kept/left full and cleaned before greasing, which is daily. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-24          100895

This is a major problem for us, if you don't believe me just look at my picture # 6 for an idea of the scale.

To make matters worse, there are very tight environmental laws to contend with, and since we are a 'commercial' operation we are inspected regularly. The real fun one is the fact that the new laws say ZERO hydrocarbons going down the drains. Doesn't sound that bad now does it? So if you have greasy hands how do you clean them? Norm's Fast Orange and the gunk it removed can't go down the drain.... We have to use a rag to wipe off the hand cleaner and debris, the rag goes to the laundry service with the uniforms, then you rinse the remainder off in a parts washer-like device and dry them with another rag. Only then can you actually use soap and water. Fun huh?

Back to grease. Here's our solution.

First of all, the machines are greased while sitting on a sheet of waxed cardboard salvaged from a weather-proof shipping carton. The globs that drop wipe right up. The excess is wiped off using a variety of different-sized plastic paint scrapers. The excess we scrape off gets wiped into the bottom half of a cutoff plastic quart oil jug for use on nuts, bolts, pivots, etc. Waste not, want not. This excess grease also makes good rust-proofing when slightly thinned with diesel and brushed on.

The only solution we have found for not getting grease on everything you're wearing is practice and patience. Plan the work ahead of time and do it in phases. Always grease from the bottom up and grease everything in the chassis first, this will reduce the chances of globs dripping on you, or you brushing past them as you work. Then move to anything that needs to be moved, FEL, 3pth, etc., to be greased.

While doing this don't forget to wipe clean and re-lube the balls in the 3pth at this point in time.

There are also a bunch of other things you should do while your there and dirty. Check coolant, battery acid, and all fluid levels. Check tires for debris, unusual wear or cuts. Also a good time to lubricate linkages such as 3pth and PTO controls.

Hope it helps.

Best of luck. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-24          100908

Harvey, I know just where you are coming from brother! Oh the howling!!!!! LOL! ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-24          100910

Murf, I took the Hazmat & Hazcom Qualification course a few years back and it was a real eye opener. At first it seems to be an excessive amount of rules and operating practices but it sure does make a difference in the amount of chemicals and waste that goes down the drain. At Ft. Campbell; there are folk who constantly watch what come into the sewage treatment plant, and if some poor soul dumps the wrong stuff down the drain or storm sewer; there is hell to pay. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-11-24          100913

If you guys have that much trouble with gobs of grease oozing out, it sounds like you're over greasing. ....

Gobs of Grease

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-24          100915

What ever else you try, don't use the pressure washer to remove the excess, unless you are well stocked up with shampoo, laundry detergent and industrial strength glasses cleaner. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login