Go Bottom Go Bottom

DEALER

View my Photos
R biggs
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-24          7279

Bought a B7300 at a dealer 35 miles from my home .We have one 15 miles from my home but his price was higher. I stoped in his dealership to get oil, oil filter,trasmission filter,when he found out that I did not buy from him,he said to go to dealer that I bought tractor from. NIce guy! If your in Pa. stop in at GREENHILL FARMS 28361 Highway 77 Cambridge Springs, Pa. 16403 and see if you are treated like I was, good luck ask for LEIGH BOWES

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

DEALER

View my Photos
ben

1999-08-24          7284

That is absolutely bad business practice! He should know the best way to get equipment sales is through parts and service. However, this can happen when you don't buy from from your local guy! How much higher was he? I hope you didn't sell him out for $100!!! ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-25          7292

I will always pay extra to support the local shop. If local people won't support their own community merchants then who will?I just bought a set of Michelins for the cruiser and noticed that they were twenty bucks a tire more from the local merchantthan from his new competitor a mile farther down the road. I paid the extra and bought them from my regular dealer, butI did tell him that I noticed that the other guy was beating him handily on prices. I wasn't there, so really can't judge...but of course that won't stop me from at least making the attempt!! :-) Anyway, I'mnot so sure as you are that this other guy was entirely in the wrong. He did handle it poorly, but so far I can't even say whichof you owes the other an apology here. Roger Loving ....

DEALER

View my Photos
KeithD

1999-08-25          7296

Hey fellas,I gotta disagree somewhat.I work just as hard for my money as the dealer does,and if I can save another 100-200 dollars you can net yer butt I will!! I just went through the same thing when I bought my grey Yanmar.The local dealer had two tractors on the lot that sat there for a year with nothing done to them and wanted 200.00 more than what I bought. I went back for a top link at my local dealer and she didn't want to sell me one....she made up every delay to try and make me go elsewhere.Now I want a landpride finish mower and she sells them, an attitude like that...guess what...she's not getting my business! Just not gonna happen!!!!My .02 cents Keithd ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Paul Bookbinder

1999-08-25          7304

My father ran a hardware store for 35 years, and one thing he taught me is that the customer is always right. Many times I saw him go through a box of old parts, fuss for half an hour, and finally come up with a solution to the problem at hand, and then charge the guy a buck or 2. This made the customer happy, and brought a sense of pride and "job well done" to my father. Thats how I run my business, and thats the type of business I like to deal with. Sounds like Steve Carver is like this, my local dealer certainly is, and so is the local Cub Cadet dealer I went to last week to fix a flat tire on my ( obviously orange ) wheel, who did the job while I waited, at a fair price, and with a smile. Ego and attiude have no role in business - get your filters and oil elsewhere.My opinion.Paul ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Doug

1999-08-25          7306

I assume that you are all in the US? America was built on a basis of free enterprise and competition, it always steams me to see people make decisions based on an essentially communistic, non-economic basis. If the dealer provides some extra service to warrant the higher price then that is fine but if you are paying $5 for a widget at dealer A and $10 for the exact same widget at dealer B you MUST buy from dealer A. To do otherwise goes against the free enterprise system and is similiar to welfare (also communistic) because you are rewarding someone for doing poorly....you need to reward the person that is running their business efficiently and wants repeat business and growth and is willing to work towards those goals. The decision should be based on economic reasons,ie: travel time, personal service, quality, etc. but not blindly based on the fact that they are in your community....you are doing them a disservice to reward them for having higher prices, anything else is short sighted. These are the pricipals that have made this country great and always improving rather than stagnant. If that dealer was not willing to accept that he didn't make the initial sale and didn't even want the sale of supplies he deserves to be out of business and he probably will be unless he changes his ways...he is of no service to me!!! Proud to be an American capatalist, Doug ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Dave

1999-08-25          7308

Amen to that. ....

DEALER

View my Photos
mike

1999-08-25          7315

Perfect example: I live in a small town and most of the busineses are family owned and located downtown. All major shopping malls and discount stores are 2hr drive away. The attitude with the owners was charge over-inflated prices because its too far to get it elsewhere. You could'nt even hold a conversation with any of them. It was like "We gotcha" attitude. Their reputation was well know to everybody and people HATED shopping downtown with business owners like that. Well guesswhat---Wal-Mart moved in just outside town. Paybacks are a b@#ch. Almost all downtown stores are going out of business. To me it was'nt the high prices. It was a combination of high prices and unfriendly attitude. I think we all like the sell person that calls us by name or at least acknowleges are presence with " I sir, can I help with want you are looking for?" The kind of people that go out of the their way to make you feel like you business is important to them. Thats the kind of places I will spend my money, EVERYTIME. ....

DEALER

View my Photos
ben

1999-08-25          7319

I'm a parts man a JD dealership, and we believe we treat our customers better than the chains and other brands. And our customers tell us that. We treat every customer the same when they come in whether they bought from us or not. We're just glad to get whatever we can! However, it disturbs me that after providing the level of service and satisfaction that our customers expect, we still seem to lose sales to customers wanting to save $100 on a compact tractor. And I mean local customers!! Why are we $100 more? Because we carry a larger inventory of equipment, keep a larger supply of parts, keep longer hours, pay our people well so we can keep the experienced ones, etc, etc. And sometimes were higher because it cost us $100 to get the tractor shipped to us...and the other dealer forgot to figure it in the deal. Our owners run a very respectable business, I think, but customers need a local dealer that can service them. Is that worth a $100? $500? ....

DEALER

View my Photos
mike

1999-08-25          7329

Ben, Sounds like you are doing things right. Providing a high level of service is first. Do not let it bother you if a guy goes somewhere else to save a few $. You are coming out way ahead by maintaining the business at present with service and customer satisfaction. Chances are the guy the goes down the road to save a few bucks will start crying when he has a warranty problem.I rather spend my money at a place like yours. Regards Mike ....

DEALER

View my Photos
tracy

1999-08-26          7337

HEY 'Hey he went to that dealer for the oil and filters they most likely make more money on that stuff then the tractors, They need a litle Total quality managment training, they might get the next tractor he is going to buy,R Brigs good luck with your 7300 there a good unit and just buy eveything from the dealer that treats you the best, that what this whole sight is here for, If you people were not checking things like pice and service you would not look here just your dealer. get off his back. Tracy. ....

DEALER

View my Photos
frank

1999-08-26          7347

I don't think I've seen so much bull**** as I've seen in some of the replies to R Biggs. I can't believe some of you guys are getting on his case because he wants to save a few hundred dollars. The dealer isn't going to give him a tractor at $200 less than he paid for it so why should R Biggs pay $200 more at the dealer than he needs to. The dealer is not a charity and neither is he. He might have given the other dealer a chance to match or better the best price he had but he is under no obligation to put the dealer's kids through college. As for the dealer, he is pretty short sighted. Tractors are like cars, there is not that much profit in the original purchase price because of competition, the real steady money and profit is to be made on service. That could turn out to be the most expensive oil and filter that dealer never sold because I don't think the guy is going to be buying much from that dealer any time soon. ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Robert

1999-08-26          7349

I appreciated your comments and agree with you about 98%. The other 2% I hold out for a handshake, a smile, and a sense of appreciation for me as a customer... I don't think American made vehilces would be the quality they are today without the solid competition from the Japanese auto industry. Competition is a good thing for us, the consumer. It should also be a good thing for the manufacturers and and distributors if it forces them to be the best they can be in satisfying the consumer and thus, insuring satisfied return customers. It would appear the dealers that refused to sell the products have yet to learn this lesson...From the "for what it's worth department."Robert ....

DEALER

View my Photos
larry

1999-08-27          7392

A dealer with an attitude like that would never get my business. I would also spread the word about his/her attitude to every potential client. Imagine if you had purchased the original unit from them and received that attitude when it came time for service. Regardless if you are buying a bolt or a tractor, it is YOUR money and they want to sell the product. Bad attitude = no money! ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-09-05          7667

You know what, I don't know if I blame your local dealer. I would feel pretty used at that point. (if the price difference is within reason) If that is the case, I say good for him, and let that be a lesson, it doesn't always pay to be a tightwad. (remember, I am assuming this difference in price is within reason) I would always rather support my local guy, and drive less distance for service. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE: I am so tired of people shopping for less at Wal-Marts etc.. trying to save a buck, considering the salesperson doesn't know anyting about the product.. then buy the product from Wal-Mart, then go use the guy with the small shop and pump him for info or service, who happens to be an expert on the subject.. Then when the big retailers leech out all of your small business, then who do you go to get educated, or serviced on these widgets.. WIDGET (A)=$10.00 + service 35 miles from home / WIDGET (B)=$11.00 service 5 miles from home, keep local guy happy.. local guy might make you happy doing something for you in return.. give you business too in your profession.. WELL IS SAY ITS A NO BRAINER! I don't blame your local guy in that case.. What goes around comes around!! GOOD FOR HIM~ truth is he probally doesn't want to do business with someone who is not going to be loyal to his excellent service he might provide.. especailly to a penny pincher.. (again, I am assuming that is the case, if his price was way,way, out of bounds and couldn't come down on price at all then don't hold any weight to this post)... thanks.. ....

DEALER

View my Photos
Jerri

1999-09-05          7671

Jason, I have been sitting on the side lines watching this one and the problem is that none of us have the whole story. We have one side and that seems to not have a lot of information. I do not know if you are in sales and if that might affect your answer. I do not sale tractors but I am in the service business and am all too familiar with the folks who only want the lowest price. I have to say that I expect those who are only interested in price get what they paid for. If they are really fortunate, they get more but all of us know that rarely happens. OK so enough of that and back to what we do know happened. This guy went to shop B for the lowest cost. We will assume that this shop will provide equal service and for the time being all else is equal with the exception of cost. Dealer A who lost the deal is now not interested in selling parts either. Although I can understand dealer A's irritation at losing the deal, I also understand that he forgot the first thing about sales, and that is that the custormer is always right. Sell him the parts, make your profit, take care of this guy and maybe just maybe next time you will sell the tractor. All dealer A has now done is gurantee this guy will not come back and worse yet he will tell all his friends and neighbors this guy is not good to deal with. So who lost in this deal. Very simply the dealer both coming and going and now he has compounded the problem. For all sales, service and etc. folks, remember we work for these people. We don't always like what they do, or who they are and etc. and etc.. But if our businesses are built on selling only to who we like, then we will shortly be out of business. I hope others who work with the public understand what I am saying, but I am afraid many do not. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login