Go Bottom Go Bottom

same old debate with some twists

View my Photos
Blue Ox Industries
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-27          2072

well first I must admit that our new advances in communication can be of a great benefit...like a lot of you, I have been shopping around for a compact and have set back dealers who have throw out high prices and I, of course owe that to all of you and the great pricing info that is on here.......... to avoid much of the confusion I narrowed my search to what I would consider the "top three" green, orange and blue I watched and waited as the farmlady had her "problem" fixed and listened with great interest that even after all of that, the praise that she had for her TC29D...of course orange was talked up big time and although I may not agree with the enthusiastic attitude of some members I do believe that they are a good tractor.....I, myself have always been a JD man....must be my grandfather's influence....... so here we are....3 good tractors, all reliable and lets face it I haven't seen a compact yet that wasn't good on resale....step 2...to hydro or not to hydro......after much debate and of course much input from all of you I choose NOT Didn't think that I needed it after all it is just a convenience........step 3....... armed with prices off to my local NH dealer...just happened to be the closest....... and after some negotiation 14 and some change for a TC29D w/loader financing was at 8.9%.........next stop Kubota land....told the salesman that I wanted to price a tractor around 30hp w/loader 4wd and no hydro...man began speaking of the L3010 & he told me 16 for the tractor alone...dealership had a cousin that sold NH and the salesman didn't believe my price so he called......when he got off the phone he immediately began steering me towards a L2500 w/loader for about the same price as the TC of course it has less horsepower Financing was 7.9%.......last stop, my favorite out of the gate, JD the salesman went to the 4200 again lower hp....13,500 gear....14,900 Hydro and again really disappointed I recanted my TC29D story....he then told me that he did have a brand new 1998 JD855 hydro 4wd left and would sell it for the great discount price of.......13,900 or 16,400 w/loader oh by the way it has turf tires ....now he tried really hard to sell the matching and already installed 60" mowing deck to me for "around 1800" I am assuming this is because the deck is not interchangeable with the new 4000 series tractors oh yeah 8.4% for those keeping tracknow I appreciate the patience from those of you with experience but I thought all of this may help, and even better, prepare potential buyers of some of the possibilities....now my questions........before I can move to step four which will be comparing one tractor in each color group according to price I must decide on my entry for JD...Is this 855 really such a sweet deal or do you think he could go a little better...any big differences between the two JD's... anyone have experience with them both......I know...I know what are you going to use it for.....the truth........playing......Tax man says I need more deductions for next year........can't see mowing with it, at least not for awhile because I have a JD L185 w/48" deck for my acre lawn........have a full size backhoe so really big jobs are out too......it's main use will more than likely be moving piles.... sawdust to the stables and manure to the Dump truck,.... maybe dig up a water line or two and the number one use fenceposts which leads me to another question only the NH man knew about hydraulic drills as opposed to the normal post hole digger...around double the price but is it worth it......rocks are definitely abundant....I don't know maybe the 5 hp range between the four tractors is insignificant for my purposes.......... any thoughts.........feel free to comment on any of the tractors mentioned because all input will be considered before a actual purchase decision is madelet me also thank all of you up-front for your input Rich

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-03-28          2076

Sure would like to know where you can get a TC29D with loader for 14 and somechange! The best I can find is 13.7 for tractor alone, with R-4's. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-03-28          2077

I traded an 855 MFWD, 60" mower and 70A loader on a 4300 hydro, MFWD and 430 loader. I have been discussing a problem in this forum with the tractor's inability to maintain fully rated rpm in high range. Assuming Deere fixes the problem, perhaps I could offer my opinion on the two tractors.The 855 I traded was the fourth one I've owned dating back to 1986 when they first came out. In my opinion, there was nothing else on the market that was close in terms of comfort and the ability to change implements/attachments. The 52 loader, followed by an even better 70A loader, were unmatched in ease of attaching and detaching. Fuel economy is excellent and they start well even in cold weather. Their trade-in value is incredible. A used 855 didn't last long on a dealer's lot.In my opinion, these tractors were the best in terms of a total package until the Ford/New Holland "Boomer" series arrived. I think Ford caught Deere "napping". Deere had enjoyed tremendous sales of the 755-955 tractors for 12 years. Ford/New Holland produced a tractor with comfort that the 55 series Deere tractors lacked. Seats that turn, telescoping draft links on the three-point hitch and hydraulic controls in the right place. The supersteer option does make for an incridibly tight steering tractor. Ford did their homework on this tractor. The older 55 series Deere tractors are not at the same level.In my opinion, the new 4000 series changes that and brings Deere back. Again, assuming my problem with my 4300 is resolved, these new tractors are quite remarkable. The "creature comforts" have been enhanced. I think you would be much happier with a 4000 series tractor over the older 55 series. The tractors turn much shorter (although the supersteer Ford turns shorter) and the hydraulic performance is much improved. If you put a loader on the tractor you will want the 4000 series tractor. I wish Deere would offer the telescoping draft links for the three point hitch like Ford does. Hopefully, this will be offered as an option on future tractors. Good luck in your tractor purchase. ....

View my Photos
Blue Ox

1999-03-28          2084

Terry, Thanks for all of the info I would be grateful to hear just how your particular situation resolves itself. Like me, you obviously looked at and was impressed by the TC series by Ford yet you still bought a JD....Old habits? Knowing about the problems that you are encountering would you still pick the 4300 over the boomer? And lastly with your particular experience have you found the hydro necessary on the JD's or is the gear, as many say, set up for ease of operation therefor making the hydro just an extra.......I found the 855 that I test drove to be a little jerky when letting off of the gas in either direction...of course that could be due to my unfamiliarity with the hydro never owning one before and I am sure it would take some getting use toothanks again Rich ....

View my Photos
Scaper

1999-03-28          2088

Hello Blue Ox hows Paul doing, Well with that out of the way "I couldn't resist" . I have been looking at all the new offerings on the market same as most of you have. I had a real problem with the Kubota L3010 hydro and tried to get it resolved with the Main office in Cal. to no avail. Well scratch one player!! I drove the new Deere with the Hydro 4200 and 4300 series and found them to lack the high range performance as noted by Terry in the past. I along with you was very impressed by the New Holland TC29D and TC33D. This tractor by far was the most comfortable tractor that I have operated to date. The power is awsome and the turning radius is great. The position of the controls and their ease of use really lit up my face. My friend stated I looked like a child with a new type of toy that no one else had while I was testing the unit out. I know that brand loyality is important to the big companies, but my thought is this buy what offers the best overall oerformance and comfort for you. I hope you get a great tractor which ever you buy, but I lean strongly towards the NEW HOLLAND. I was a true Kubota owner before this upcoming purchase but no longer bleed orange. Scaper ....

View my Photos

1999-03-28          2102

I too am trying to make the same decision. Putting aside price, I like the JD 4300 because it can accomodate a much more powerful backhoe (about a 1000 lbs more digging force). The JD also has a fully independant PTO which to me is a big negative against the TC29 unless you pony up for Hydro. Plus the 4300 weighs 3-400lbs more than the NH. Factoring in price, I have been qouted $17,100 for a JD 4300 w/ sync reverse and 420 bucket. Is this a good price from your experience? Also was qouted about $6,200 for the 48 series backhoe, but have been thinking that instead maybe I should just buy an old fullsize backhoe for $10k or so and be able to do some real digging, plus be able to move alot more stuff with the bucket. Has anyone else faced a similar dilema? Part of the reason I wanted to go with a new tractor was so that I didn't have to spend most of my free time fixing an old one. Question is would I be signing up to do just that if I picked up a 20 year old fullsize backhoe? Bottom line it's tuff to justify going for the whole enchilada with one tractor... ....

View my Photos
ED

1999-03-29          2132

THe 855 only has 19hp at the pto and a smaller engine than the 770. Its hp comes from running at 3600 rpm instead of 2600 you might look for a 870 and get even more hp better ground clearanceand mor pto since you are primarily looking at fence post also you get moer overall and since these are being discontinued you might get a better deal. ....

View my Photos
Catfish

1999-03-29          2164

I think this is the first post I have read that had anything neg to say about a Kubota. I've read complaints about NH and Deere so I was about ready to make a choice in orange. Could you fill us in a little more as to the problem you had? My local orange dealer has a L2900 on the lot with 11 hrs that he never sold. Should I go for that one instead of a new model? ....

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2171

Blue you talked about a quote of 14 and some change for a TC29D with a loader so I decided to check on one and the quote I got today was $14,329.60 for the 4WD with R4 tires but that did not include the loader. That dealer wanted to charge $3795 for the loader. If your quote was for a 4 wheel drive then you got a great price. Good Lucl with your shopping. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2172

Price on 4300 a few hundred under what I've been seeing for same in PacNW. Just bought one at $17,300.Had same internal debate on hydro 4200 vs power 4300, in my budget. Figured having a clutch on a tractor never bothered me much before.... Good luck- I'm amused to see how we all face the same decisions/dilemas. ....

View my Photos
Scaper

1999-03-31          2202

Hi Catfish, Well here goes, I test drove a total of 4 new Kubota L3010's at dealers within a one hundred mile area from my home. The first tractor I drove was great looking and I had waited for 6 months to see one. I drove it on very hard packed crush and run in the dealers yard. The tractor was fine in low and middle range, when I put it in high range the tractor moved off fine but when it reached 2200-2300 rpm it died. I drove back to the owner and told him what had happened and he stated I must have done something wrong? It was a hyrdro (I've been using one for 4 years but hey maybe?) and he jumped on the unit and took off across the yard. I saw him stop and then turn around to come back. He turned the tractor off and stated " Well I just guess thats how they are" WRONG. Well I called Kubota and asked since this was a high priced purchase for me. I talked to the head engineer for the L project and he stated he would check the test unit they had and see if the problem was present. He did call back and tell me that their unit didn't have the same problem. Well for most that would have been enough. But I turned to all of you in the forum and got 25 or so negitive replies, they stated the same problem. I even had dealers E-Mail me and state the L3010 didn't have enough HP to pull full RPM's in high gear. They all stated I should move up to a 3710 or larger, their reason was they are the same size as the L3010 overall and had the HP needed to pull full RPM's in high gear.One dealer even went as far as to say that the L3010 was an entry level tractor for that size catogory and that I shouldn't expect it to pull full RPM' about 2800 because of it's weight. Well I went back out and spent the day driving other units. Two of the other units did the same thing and one pulled to 2400 RPM or so. Well I called Kubota back and told a dif. person in the same department of the problem( the first person was out of the office that day) and I asked if he would like the E-Mails I had recieved. He said NO! there wasn't any problem as he understood. Well I called back a third time and left a message on the first persons line telling him of the problem again asked him to call back and guess what, NO CALL BACK, I have heard from about 30 people so far and have only gotten back 4 replies that say they don't have this problem. Now math isn't really my strong point but then again you don't have to be a mental giant to figure this one out. Many more negative responses to the post then good. So go figure, who knows what the reason is but the overall complaint still stands "Why doesn't this unit pull Full RPM'S in high gear. I have thought about all the reasons and breakin may have been an answer but many of the responses stated they had hrs. on their units and they still did the same thing, no full pulls. "Well thats my story sad but true!! So there's the problem, I know Kubota is a great tractor, hell I've been around them for many years and thats what I bought when I made my first purchase. But I'm now looking to buy a non Orange unit, to bad I love my Bota. Hope this long ass post answered your question. Scaper ....

View my Photos

1999-03-31          2241

The JD 4300 with the same problem had it resolved by just adjusting the parking brake. Since some of the L3010's have the problem and some do not, my guess is a brake adjustment will solve the problem. Has the brake been checked and adjusted? ....

View my Photos
Jiang Wenzhi

1999-03-31          2247

View my Photos

1999-03-31          2248

Read something about the same thing on the kubota board relating to the 3010/hyro. Steve carver @ Carver Equitment said all their units pull full RPM in high gear. Maybe give him a call. Sounds like a certain production run number that did'nt have the fuel properly adjusted??? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login