Go Bottom Go Bottom

Options for a compact tractor purchase

View my Photos
Greg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-18          1820

Please help! I've just moved to a home on 10 acres. Of that, 4 acres will be mowed, and another 3 is a field that I'd like to keep cut down. The property is VERY hilly and nothing but sand. I have a lot of trees and a long driveway to mow around. I'm considering a JD 4100 with 60" mid-deck, 54" blade for plowing snow, the 4' rotary cutter, and possibly, the loader for moving gravel, etc. The attraction of the 4100 is 4WD, the roll bar for safety, and enough attachments to get things done. Has anyone used a 4100 for these kinds of tasks? Would I be buying a "toy" tractor? I'm concerned about the small size, the small engine, and paying to much for the JD name. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-03-19          1824

Your list of "attractions" to the 4100 can be filled by anybrand of compact tractor. Shop around. Find out about the service departments of the dealers you are talking to. There are many viable choices. ....

View my Photos
Markie Mark

1999-03-19          1825

I agree. I have seen an Ingersoll and it shouldhandle up to 5 acres or so with no problem. It isone of the few remaining true garden tractors. The others are Wheelhorse, Simplicity, and Power King. There may have still be a few othersso forgive me if I have offended any. I also like the compacts. But I have a 1/2 acre that I would like to have a tractor witha mowing deck, a tiller and maybe a blade. AllI want to do is to be able to move some dirt around once in a while. The glorified lawn tractors that supposedly can handle this kindof thing are junk. My better half and mypractical side can not justify even the lowend compacts. So I would like an Ingersoll orsomething of that ilk. But I have not found any dealers located anywhere in Georgia let alone near Atlanta that sell Ingersoll's. The point is probably moot as my wife will probably want meto keep on mowing with my Honda Powered Craftsmanand moving dirt with a high tech shovel. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-19          1826

Greg, I have 8 acres, VERY hilly that I cut. No trees. I have a Kubota tractor, 17 hp, hydrostatic trans, belly mower and a 4'rear field mower, also witha kubota loader. I find the hydro works very well on the hills when I use thefield mower as I don't get much drifting when I go from forward to reverse orvise-versa. The 17 hp does the job ok for me but I purchased the Kubota yearsago prior to buying the 8 acres. I plan to get a larger tractor for the 8 acres.It will definately be a Kubota with the hydro trans, probably around 25 horse-power. I want a little more power and weight. If you stick with John Deere gowith the 4200 or 4300 but I highly recommend the hydro. You pay a little morebut for safety reasons on the hill I like the hydro. My 2 cents. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-19          1839

a comment from a previous follow up about service is important can be a big issue if the quality is not there to begin with. kubota offers a 3 yr warrantee. the blade i would have a problem with as a loader will move deeper snow then a blade and with a little practice is a excellent grading tool. all tractors are standard with a rool bar today. Hydro's are the only way to go and work like a deadman switch and will stop the tractor if your foot is removed. If you would like to mow in four wheel drive due to your hills I would look at the bi-speed turn offered by kubota. In our area there are a few around and it is a nice option ....

View my Photos

1999-03-19          1843

Take a look at the new kubota 2710 and the JD equivalent.Something in the 25 or so hp range (diesel 4 cyl) that can put 20+ hp to the PTO. 4 whl drive appears to be necessary in your application with thehills and snow plowing. You might think loader as well as rear blade for snow removal.I've had both gear and hydro and it's no contest for me anymore. Hydro all the way.If you go the JD route, the 4100 may not be an equal comparison to the 2710 morelikelyyou need to look one size up (4200?). Check the tractor web sites for discussions about suitability of a backhoe on 4100. There seems to be a lot of discussionand mixed emotion on this one issue. Other than that I've heardnothing bad about the model.Kubota has held the market advantage in the compact tractor market that JD is fighting to get a better share in. My vote would go to the dealer close to you who you feel you arewilling to work with over the next 20 years. You will probably be satisfied with either color tractorfor what it can do and their reliability but a lousey dealer willruin it for you for a long time. ....

View my Photos
CDF

1999-03-19          1846

Greg, I spent two months looking at this board before I bought my tractor. I can tell you that your previous postings on your topic are right on the money. Go find a dealer you like who is within a resonble distance, compare apples to apples and by one-your gonna need it. Kubota, New Holland, Deere its all good stuff. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-20          1859

I bought a 4100 gear with loader and rear blade(so far, a mower and tiller arein the near future). I am very happy with my purchase. So far have plowed my drivewaywith the nearly 2 feet of snow in the begining of january and pushed stone around,and hauled firewood. I have no complaints! The loader is nice for pushing snow,rear blades just cannot handle too much above 12" without spending a lot of time trying to get it pushed aside. I have no problems with power and really like thegear transmission. I find it very easy to shift.I would reccomend one, but shop around and test drive! ....

View my Photos

1999-03-22          1894

If you have a lot of trees to mow around, consider the New Holland Boomer line. The Supersteer option has a very tight turning radius. I have a lot of trees. A while back I bought a lawn tractor. I had a choice between a regular one and a one with front/rear steering (tight turns). I always regretted not getting the latter unit. ....

View my Photos
Chad Leising

1999-07-02          5681

How much would it cost to put a loader on a B6000?Please write back at cleising@music.com ....

View my Photos
Cahd Leising

1999-07-02          5682

Is your tractor for sell, If so how muchPlease write back at cleising@music.com ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login