Go Bottom Go Bottom

need help trying to decide what tractor

View my Photos
buckweet
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-11          98107

dear sirs..
im an army contractor over here in kuwait.
should be home in five months,
i live in thrush missouri..[middel of nowhere]
i run cow calf .. on 110 acres.
im running an 1965 farmall 706 with loader..
[gas]... and its plum wore out.
veryhard to start.. im giving up on the ol'girl... going to get a DIESEL ! but what kind ? price is of concern..
im looking to at least pull a baler, and pick up a 1500 pound bale..
later on ?? if i can afford it. i'ed like to buy a used 4x4 round baler. so ?? im needing at least a 40 horsepower PTO..??? im interested . in a 4x4 with shuttel shift.. if i can afford one. used 1995 or newer ?? maybe ??
i havent been keeping track of tractor prices . been a long long time... i saw a new hollad in a paper for 14000 !!!! and a kubota l4300 45 hp?? if i remember right.
about the same price..
im thinking ?? i could maybe come up with half, and make a small payment.. need a loader too... caint live with out one ! ha !
i shure hope someone will e-mail me back... and let me know what they think.. what brand..price, ect.. who's the best.. ect..
thank you.
tim r. hudson
im at trhudson
at
yahoo
.com

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98133

buckweet,

Didn't see all of these requirements when I replied to your question on the other post. Picking up the 1,500 lb. bales and running a baler sheds a different light. You need a good all around farm utility tractor. Depending upon the amount of features you can do without I would suggest the Deere 5205 or the 5220/5320. The 5205 is the more basic of the two but offers the 8F/4R SyncShuttle trans. whereas the 5220/5320 offers the 12/12 Power Shuttle trans.

I get the clear impression that price matters here and I would say the 5205 is more the machine you are after.

I am not sure if you saw the Deere 4710 tractors the 101st Airborne Avaiton Brigade had over there? I contracted those machines for the 101st before I retired.

The Deere 990 and 4000 Series compact tractors can do a good bit of farm work but they are not built and designed for the really heavy tasks such as toting a 1,500 lb. round bale or running high pto hp machinery. They can do it but are not best suited to it.

I think the Deere 5205 is right in the range you need.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98147

Don't know what the cost is today but it used to cost about ten grand to put the Cummins 5.9 or 359 cu.in. engine in that tractor for over 100 horsepower. The 706 gas engine was good for about 3500 to 4500 hours max before rebuild and that still leaves about 10,000 hours of chassis life left. That also seems to be about the rated engine life of the engine. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-12          98150

My Uncle bought a new 706 back about that time (65), it was quite a tractor but my how it loved it's gasoline. When you say "Wore out", do you mean whole tractor, loader and all or just the engine? The weakest point of the tractor was the Torque Amplifier, if it's shot there is a TA eliminator package made by somebody that cost's less than replacing the torque and you still have eight forward and at least two reverse gears left. IH made thousands of that style engine, so if salvage parts are needed they should be easily obtainable. I guess my point of this is whether you would put enough hours on the tractor to justify trading just because of a diesel engine. I still use a Farmall 656 also a 65 model that I've overhauled the engine twice in since buying it new, there can be lots of good hours left in some of those old tractors plus they were real simple to overhaul compared to some of todays hi tech computer controled nightmares. My thoughts and prayers are with you folks over there on a daily basis, so please be carefull and come home safe, we do truly apreciate what you're doing over there. Frank. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-10-12          98156

I agree with Chief,. the 5000 series is probley one of the smallest unit's you would want to go with for doing your hay work. I have one of the price buster 5000 series models, The 5205, and can say it's a very strong machine. I'm very pleased with it! good luck with your choice. ....

View my Photos
buckweet

2004-10-12          98195

thank you for your kind replys...
yes my old 706 is wore out.. overhauled three times.. replaced T/A twice.
loader is loose n' sloppy. but its a great gas guzzler !!!
hard to start. cold blooded as can be... lol !!!
so ?? a john deere 5200 ??? is your all's pick ??? i was kinda looking at new holland ??? im looking for a tractor that will start n' run... ''when i want it too !'' lol !!!
as far as running a big baler with high outputt pto.... i guess i could always use my uncles 966 farmall. just to bale with... but ??? you know how that is. when you [borrow] someones stuff... for me anyway, something always goes wrong.
im not the greatest with a wrench... but i can be a pretty fair ''parts changer''
buckweet ....

View my Photos
buckweet

2004-10-12          98197

could someone ? please explain ?? 12/12 shuttel shift ??
i've never used a ''shuttel shift'' but ?? everyone says its the way to go..
i'ed love not to have to cluch n' brake on every bale.
is that right ? or ?? do you still use clutch ?
my uncle says ? he thinks my old 706 would be worth between 3 or 4 thousand, with loader.
i'm going to try n' putt 7 thousand along with that if i can.
my payments shouldnt be too awfull bad ?
i guess i should say its not that i caint afford what i want...its just that i hate to make payments of any kind ! ha !
shoot, my pickup's 25 years old ! one ton 75 chevy. still going strong ! my girl friend says i could live in a cardboard box n' be happy. lol !!!
buckweet ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-13          98248

I think you have the right concept: shuttle shift does not require using the clutch. I think you still gotta use the brake though.....

Living out of a cardboard box is ok, as long as you opt for the best quality cardboard you can afford. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-13          98251

buckweet,

The 12/12 Power Reverser is real nice but you will have to buy the 5000 Twenty Series tractors to get it. A 5420 or 5520 is a sweet machine but takes a HUGE price jump compared to the 5205. You can get a really nice cab and other features such a 540e pto with the 5000 Twenty Series tractors. Basicly, the Power Reverser allows you 12 different speeds in either direction and allows an immediate change from forward to reverse with the flip of a lever. Very good for FEL work but not sure how useful this would be working with round bales. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-14          98387

To bad your 706 is that worn out and well aware of the gas problem with them. The forward low and reverse of a 706 is simulair to the shuttle used on the NH only you don't need the clutch and it shuttles all the gears not just 8 as with your 706. You can also find the hydraulic shuttles on the full featured Kubota M-series tractors. They introduced shuttles to the industry back in the mid to late 80's. I would be looking at the M6800 model or the M8200 or even a M9000 model to replace the 706. They were an extremely well built tractor and we had many out pulling a five bottom 16" plow so don't go to light on the new one. I'd have to say a fairer comparison from deere to your 706 would come from the smaller 6000 series. ....

View my Photos
buckweet

2004-10-15          98485

thanks guys....
i'll shure be looking around..when i get home on my R&R..
my pop wants me too look at his neighbors tractor's,, he has two... a 1066 farmall and a 966 farm all...pop says they can be bought for around five grand... says they are in very good shape..
so ??? im looking at the cost there,, heck...im just going to have to shop around, thank you for all of your re-plys !!!
sheesh.........pop even wants me too buy a 160 acres down by him..... told him i'ed look.
buckweet ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-17          98567

Watch your 6 over there buddy. Come home safe. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-17          98573

Both for five? great deal. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login