Go Bottom Go Bottom

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
Dave Neidigh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-30          92297

With the new lower sulphur diesel fuels coming in 2006 do I need to worry about my Kubota not running well or even being damaged by the new fuel.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-30          92301

I thought low sulfur fuels were already here. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-31          92353

Hopefully Chief, Murf or other with more knowledge will chime in here.

I have an add on to go with it. I just got hooked up with the local Southern States to buy "Off Road Diesel". I thought the only diffecence was no road tax, but when I went to the pump it was labeled "High Sulfur, Off Road Diesel". Is it ok to run this in a modern, CUT, diesel engine? ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-31          92354

Current diesel fuel is low sulfur diesel fuel. However, the congress has mandated the phasing is of ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel. A rule which takes effect in 2006. In a nut shell......as sulfur compounds are refined out of diesel fuel oil; so is the "lubricity" of the fuel itself for the most part. Either the new ULSD will have additives to address this issue or current diesel engines will have to be modified or user added lubrication additives added. Fuel lubricity is particularly important in older design diesel engines as the injection pump and the injectors themselves are lubricated by the fuel. The newer designe "Common Rail Fuel Injection Systems" are not as requiring of lubrication as the older designs since injection and pump timing are controlled electronicly and the injectors are fired electronicly as opposed to pulse pressure.

Here is some "poop" on diesel fuel:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/L1_toc_rf.htm

Link:   REALLY Dry reading about ULSD

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-07-31          92366

THANK Goodness, the good old government is going to take care of all of us....... ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-08-02          92486

I wouldn't worry about ULSD too much. There are HUGE legacy issues (existing engines out there) that mush be addressed with any change in fuel formulation. Backwards compatibility is a must considering an average engine life of at least 20 years. The trucking industry has a powerful lobby. Any legistlature would surely take legacy issues into consideration. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
JParker

2004-08-10          93188

So from an engine lubrication point of view, High Sulphur is Good?

Its being removed because it causes Acid rain I guess. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-11          93226

The sulfur lubricated the injector pump and the top end of the engine.

I was at Wally World the other day and saw that Power Service has changed its formulation to include some sort of injector pump lubricant. They advertise it as a fix for ULSD. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-11          93228

I was doing some research on Bio-Diesel and came across a story about the lubricating effects of Bio-Diesel, apparently as little as 5% Bio-Diesel added to the regular Dino-Diesel will will DRAMTICALLY improve lubricity, between 100% & 500%.

The hydro-electric authority in the City of Toronto has been experimenting with a 90% (Dino) / 10% Bio-Diesel blend in all their trucks, apparently the only side-effect so far is that the exhaust smells like french fries making the workers constantly hungry.

Best of luck. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-08-11          93245

Oh great, we are going to replace one health hazard with another (emphysema vs. obesity), hopefully I can stay off the fries. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-11          93251

Think of what's going to happen when the advertising industry gets ahold of this.

Ads for a burger chain on the side of the city busses and the exhaust smells like fries......

I wonder if they could squeeze some of the grease out of pizza and use that too.

Hey, I got an idea, Wildman could get oil from a restaurant for his boat, then it would smell like fish & chips BEFORE he went fishing!!! That's efficiency..... LOL.

Best of luck. ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
LapinFarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-14          93526

The manual for my new B7800 mentions that high sulfur diesel requires use of diffent engine oil and change intervals. to wit:

New CF-4 and CG-4 oils are for use with new low sulfur fuels in off-road vehicles engines.

When running an off-road diesel on high sulfur fuel, "it is advisable to employ CF,CD or CE lube oil with a high total base number."

And in bold type (Kubota's): "If ... CF-4 or CG-4 lube oil is used with high sulfer fuel, change the oil at shorter intervals". ....

new diesel fuel in 2006

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-14          93531

To my knowledge it is all low sulfur diesel. There may be exception but I an not aware of any nor have I seen any high sulfur diesel in my area. The off road and agriculture diesel is just died red in most places. In a few states, Flying J will issue you a ag diesel card in which you can purchase green died road diesel and be exempt from the taxes on it at the pump. The older refined grade of high sulfur diesel was actually a much better fuel in that it had a higher BTU content and a much higher lubricity rating as compared to current grade diesel. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login