Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Haveacigar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-30          87259

Just found this forum and was hoping for some advice.

I have roughly 2 1/2 acres to cut of my own and possibly 4 more for a friend. We both need light hauling and Base filled driveways to maintain.

As this area has many rocks, Tires would be a concern as well as which mower to choose?

Possibly like to offset costs a little by cutting some smaller lots in the area.

TIA
Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-30          87266

I would say the Kubota 2230 with R-4 tires would be a good choice. So would a Deere 4110 or 4115 or a 790 if you prefer a gearshift. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-30          87276

A kubota BX2230 or a B7510, B7610 or a B2410 if you have the money.

By the way I cut grass for a living. We don't like people who cut grass to pay for their equipment or put extra money in their pocket. All under the table. Which about 30% of people who cut grass do. While we are trying to make a living, pay insurance, taxes, etc. So if you plan to use it, you better get a business license and pay insurance. Or somebody will report you. I thought you might just like to know that. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-30          87278

itsgottobegreen, your last post was sooooo uncalled for and unprofessional! Reminds me of all the guys over on Lawnsite whinning about the same thing. What you make the vailed threat to do is to advocate or raise the suspicion ratting out someone to "Big Brother". That sword has two edges on it......... I sure hope your books and business practices are in order. What goes around comes around and your glass house breaks too. This sight is intended to be a community of folks sharing information in order to help each other out. NOT rat each other out!

Haveacigar, do EXACTLY as you mentioned. You are FULLY and LEGALLY able to do so. Cutting grass for your neighbors as a favor and accepting money to offset your costs for it is NO crime and a frequently done practice. Farmers do it all the time. It is when you get into several employees, chemical applications and large scale commercial mowing when you have to start playing "big brothers" silly games. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-30          87292

I agree with you on that one Chief.
Green, was you going to run the profit you made off trying to sell those light systems through your business or was that under the table?? As Chief said it is a double edged sword. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
GerardC

2004-05-31          87336

Totally ridiculous response!
I've paid for the proper INSURANCE coverage so I can (AND WILL) do work for others and pocket YOUR profits! How do you think a business gets started! Please. G ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-31          87343

Green, we cut grass for a living (amongst other things) too. I encourage small owners & operators to cut for others.

The competition is no real threat to my business and it shouldn't be to yours either since as a 'pro' you must have 'pro equipment', right. Show me a CUT that will mow 6 or 8 acres an hour.

Do the math, a Kubota 2230 with a 60" MMM travelling at 5 mph would cover 26,400 feet an hour by 5 feet wide, or 132,000 square feet an hour, that is 3 acres an hour. If you consider that 3 acres an hour doesn't include turning around, navigating obstacles, slowing down, etc. then it's more like 2 acres an hour.

If that's competition to you then maybe you should think about changing fields.

Best of luck. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-31          87398

Last time I had a "Pro" cut my grass he gave my grass a case of the clap, er, rust fungus. That stuff is a bear to get rid of. Apparently he didn't bother washing his mowers. If I had to have somebody mow my grass now I'd rather have a neighbor do it than a pro. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Jack

2004-05-31          87400

green is a punk college idiot
that had a lawn tractor "green"
then stole a real tractor orange
& thinks he knows jack, guess again idiot. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
grinder

2004-06-02          87483

Another lesson in self employment. Keep your mouth shut about what you do and charge.Unless your being hired.
come on guy's he 's young!

Which Kubota

View my Photos
BigBob

2004-06-02          87486

I like the Kubota line because they are lighter than most with equal HP. I have a B7500 wich is more than enough for my 2.5 acres of future grass and 10 acre pasture land. The 7500 hst weighs just under #1400's. Some may not see this as an advantage as I do. I'm not going to pile on Green, everybody should get a pass once and again. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-02          87588

I was not trying to be rude. But I have seen it happen before. Some home owner was turned in for cutting neighors lawns and lost everything. I was just letting him know what could happen. We don't like what we know as scabs taking our work. It happening around here way to much. But thats business. I don't turn people in. I rather buy them out. Its easyer. I have helped other kids to start their business. From how to get on the books to equipment, as long as they promise not to touch any of my accounts. My business is fully insured and all the books done right. (one customer of mine is an accountant he set them up for me 4 years ago, and double checks them for me) I am going to be a member of the local chamber of commerce shortly.

Yes I am young. I am only 18. 19 in 14 days. I don't do any the table work. Never did. I went and got it all started right at the begining. Had heard to many horria stories. I have bought a large amount of equipment from guys who ran under the table and when bottoms up.

As for the light bars. No takers, so I hadn't built any. But they were going to be part of the Equipment repair/welding divison of my business I have. I do maintance on equipment, welding, metal work, sandblasting, etc. I also subcontract a lot of my work to other companies. I do a lot of things. I am a workaholic. . ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login