Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Michael Eckstrom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-24          25819

Help! I will be maintaining 8 acres of land. Four acres will be lawn the rest brush and trees. I also have about a 450 foot drive to plow. We will also have a large garden to til. Using the tractor for mowing, leaf removal, snow throwing, and tilling I think it will be between the JD 4200 and Kubota B2910. I have a few questions. First is this too much tractor. Second. Which one! I am also 6'-5" and 275 lbs. I heard the Kubota may not be as comfortable. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-24          25824

No, Michael, they're not too much tractor; I think you're making very good choices. I have a B2710 (same frame and basic size as the B2910) and it's great for my use. As for which one, I much prefer the Kubota, but the simple fact is that both Kubota and Deere (and New Holland - you might want to look at TC29D) make excellent machines. I'm only 6' and 205#. My Kubota suits me very well, but I, too, have heard from a couple of taller guys who say they weren't comfortable on the Kubota. Go to the dealers and drive both of them for several minutes at least; the longer the better. Then buy the one that's most comfortable for you. ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Michael Eckstrom

2001-03-25          25846

Thank You! I did try on the JD 4200 for size last week, I felt comfortable. I will see the Kubota dealer later this week. I have so much to learn. Are the implements comparable for both. For example I looked at JD and like the Hydraulic Dump Material Collection System but I would have to use the 60" mid mount instead of a larger one. I haven't been able to find a comparable system with Kubota. Any thoughts? Also snow blowers, any advantages JD compared to Kubota? I have also had people tell me use a front mount snow blower and others swear by the rear mount. Does anyone have any experience with this? ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-25          25847

Michael, now you've gotten completely away from stuff I know anything about. I use a 3-point rear discharge mower instead of a belly mower, and I don't have any snow to worry about in Central Texas. ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-25          25852

Michael, some people I know love their rear-mounted blowers, but everyone I know who has used both go for the front-mounted hands down. Something to consider, especially on a 450' drive, is how much you enjoy working twisted around in your seat. ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-26          25890

Regarding implements. Both tractors have CAT I 3ph's. The same implements will fit either tractor. Lower link widths (how wide the lift arms spread) are fairly standard, but an occasional implement may be wider than the arms will spread. Most CAT I implements come in different widths, and of course, it takes more power to run wider implements. Literature for an implement, and often manufacturer web sites, have specs that include minimum and maximum HP recommendations. Manufacturer HP recommendations tend to be a bit conservative since manufacturers want happy customers. However, it is possible and sometimes desirable, to power an implement below recommendations. An operator can partially control the power needed for an implement by taking smaller bites and going slower.

Regarding snow blowers: I use a 3ph blower on about 400' of drive and additional parking areas. I prefer a 3ph type. The main reason is that I often go back and forth between the loader and blower. Changing back and forth between a blower and the bucket wouldn't work for me. I also don't have a mid-PTO to run a front blower, and rear to front kits are expensive. In addition, a 3ph blower is somewhat more maneuverable and has more steering than a front blower. If I had a long obstructed drive and didn't have to cut out parking areas, I'd probably prefer a front blower.

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Karl Fletcher

2001-03-26          25902

Michael: I hope I spelled your name right. Anyway, Try out a Kubota L3010 or 3410. These tractors are well worth the slightly higher price than the 2910. At your physical size I would be afraid of the smaller tractors.(I'm 6'3" 240) I used a L3300 for about 5 years. I highly suggest test tractoring the small L-Series Kubotas. Oh yeah, a 2wd tractor is almost worthless if you have ever owned a 4wd drive. I have seen 2wd drive tractors get stuck in a flat field. You almost can't stick a 4wd tractor with a FEL. My two cents. Good luck! ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-26          25914

Michael you might want to look at a trailing style of grass catcher system like Trac-vac. It has a larger capacity by far and is easy to empty because of the tapered trailer. It is right to find a tractor that fits you and what you have to do. All of those mentioned will do the job it's just how much time you want to spend on the work load or for the fun! ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-26          25934

Hey Michael,
When I went looking 2yrs ago I compared the B2710 to the JD4200. Went with the Kubota. My reasons were that it was lighter, an advantage to me since the ground I have to mow is often soft, and because I liked the specs better. I thought the 4200 was a little underpowered for its size, especially in hilly Vermont, but I suspect it really has plenty of power to do most everything I would have asked of it. I liked the 4300 a lot more than the 4200, but couldn't justify the added cost, and it was a bit big for a tractor that spends 70% of its time mowing. Given YOUR size, however, I'd probably go with an L3010, a JD4200/4300, or a New Holland. My B2710 is fantastic, but you'll hate climbing on and off with the levers where they are. Even at 5'9" and 150#'s I can't avoid them at times. And don't the Deere and NH's have cup holders???
Todd ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2001-03-27          25949

Michael,

I cannot comment on the Kubota but I do have a JD 4200. It is by no means underpowered. It will mow as fast as you can stand to be bumped around and spin the tires in 4WD in over half of its gears. The only time it feals lacking is in road gear pulling a trailer up a hill. The best advice is to drive each one and, as Roger says, get on and off a couple dozen times. You will be getting on and off more than you imagine. Mine does have a cup holder. I've used it at least twice in the last two years. It is a nice thought though.
One other thing to compare, have a dealer remove and reattach the implements you plan to buy. You will do this more than you think also.
Randy ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Michael Eckstrom

2001-03-27          25953

Thanks for all the insight. I have more to consider than I thought when I started this process but I am having a ball! I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again. ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-27          25962

Didn't intend to imply any slight to the 4200's power Randy. Hope you didn't infer any. :)
Todd ....

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
david swann

2001-03-27          25972

M.

Ihave used the MCS system on my JD for 4 years now.If you are interested in a heads up on them just let me know . I am 6'7" 235 I picked the JD for one of the reasons you mentioned ---- comfort!. I spend at least 15 hours a week on mine and I have never had a problem. I have the 60" mower and haven't even changed the belt. Blades twice a season. . Mine is optioned like the one you might buy and another important feature is the quick change features on the JD. Any toy can be replaced in 5 to 10 min.

DAVID

Kubota B2910 vs JD 4200

View my Photos
Mowin man

2001-05-11          28060

FYI to all. I have had my 4200 for going on a year. I have a 4200 hydro - turf- frops- with 72 in belly mower. It is a great machine. I am a nut for mechanical details, the 4200 is built like a tank. As far as the power it has it, trick is to understand the HP vs. weight, and also the hyd demand. It is true the 4200 rpm will drop like a rock if your porting all that hyd fluid into the trannie, or any other hyd user. It takes time to learn how to manage the power vs. hyd demand. Bottom line the 4200 is a great machine and all need to look at what tractor will be used for before going for it. I have 7 acres of grass and a 400 yard driveway, I cut with a 72 in mower no pblm, plow snow no pblm, run a 3 pt log splitter at idle, and look forward to driving it. Lastly the one thing I do think is that the 4200 is a major tractor, orange one vibs alot and while it has power, it doesn't ride like the 4200, try it and see. Watch the front axel deal, get the new one. Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login