Go Bottom Go Bottom

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Bruce W.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-08          30774

I am in the process of buying a JD 950 that puts out blue smoke when run above 1800 rpm. There does not appear to be smoke when the engine idles. There is also some black oil that drips out of the exhaust pipe when the engine is run. I've been told that the tractor sat for about a year and may have caused the rings to become improperly seated, etc. (rusted?). Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this without and engine overhaul? Could there be another cause? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Farmer Giles

2001-08-08          30778

Sometimes rings will stick and allow crankcase oil to burn causing blue smoke. If it were my tractor I would add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil to the crank case and run the engine for about ten hours then drain and refill with fresh oil. If that didn't solve the problem then you may need to consider a teardown.
Pete ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-08          30780

One of the things I learned on this Board is that diesels that burn oil can make blue smoke, just like gas engines. However, excessive or wrong oil can make white smoke. On the other hand, blue smoke isn't in the trouble-shooting section of my repair manual. I'm guessing that's because the compression loss associated with a typical oil burner causes a diesel to run so poorly that most engines are rebuilt before they start burning that much oil. I think the question raises an important issue. If the sale isn't final, condition of the engine is going affect value of the tractor a lot. I've heard Marvel Mystery oil mentioned very positively. I'd say give it a try, but before the sale is final. A compression test after running the mystery oil also might be a good idea. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2001-08-08          30782

If it sat a year its possible a ring broke or became unseated. The Mystery oil is a good idea. What I hope didnt happen is a ring broke when the engine was started after sitting so long. It could just be a bad cylinder also. And it could be a used up diesel engine and is in need of a rebuild. I just bought a JD950 with a rebuilt diesel and it runs like a top. Good little tractor. If you can get it for a good price you could afford to rebuild the engine. I paid 5900$ for my 950 with a rebuilt engine. It came with a belly mower which I think I am gonna try to sell soon. That can give you an idea on prices.

Todd

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
DoctorDeere

2001-08-10          30862

A couple of things come to mind. First thing I would do is to locate the crankcase breather on the right side of the engine and make sure a dirt dauber (or other insect) has not made a nest in the tube or fitting. If this be the case, oil vapor, etc., is being forced up past the rings into the combustion chamber. You might also wish to pull the valve cover and have a peek at the valve stem seals.

One word of caution on any "50" series CUT... The engine uses wet sleeves with o-ring seals at the base of the sleeve. If it's been sitting a while, the seals may have deteriorated and cracked. Major headache (especialy for those of us who repair them). Look out for milky goo in the crankcase, or pure coolant in the bottom of the sump. This would indicate that the seals have taken a poop and coolant is getting by.

Have fun! ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-11          30865

There is some good info as to why you might have the blue smoke. Many people in the quest for economy often use a lesser grade oil than they should. This often allows the oil rings to get crudy and the Marvel Mystery oil or a quart of ATF will help loosen them up. Doctor Deere is right on the breather vent that would cause the oil to go up the cylinders to the combustion chamber. The oil in the base from a wet sleeve engine is very easy to detect as long as the engine hasn't been run in 24 hours or over nite. Just crack the oil drain plug and see if there is any moisture there. Chances are there shouldn't be if the antifreeze has been changed properly. I don't believe that it would cause the problem that you described. I have seen engines that were not completely broken in and the cylinder walls glazed up and had to be reseated and they too would give you the condition you described. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-11          30871

Dr. Deere's comment jogged my memory. Blocked crankcase breather would do it. So would a stuck PCV valve, but if an engine has a crankcase breather, then it's not going to have a PCV valve. Removing the oil fill cap on the rocker-arm cover would provide a vent on most engines and would be an easy test. I know I got big-time oil smoke on my old '65 Econoline at around 70,000 miles. A bit of valve guide wear and some rubber seals of the guide ends caused most of the problem. If don't know if the lower intake manifold vacuum pressures on diesel engines would produce quite as much effect as on gas engines, but valve guides could be an answer--especially if there's quite a few hours on the engine. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
DoctorDeere

2001-08-11          30875

Art, I didn't mean for the comment about the sleeve seals to be taken as a possible cause for smoking, rather just a caution to those who consider buying a 50 series CUT that has been sitting a while. What I find is that the lower o-ring (which is of a composition as to be oil resistant) dries out and cracks, letting oil get to the upper ring (which isn't OIL resistant, but COOLANT resistant) thus softening the upper o-ring (similar to a Gummi Worm left out in the weather too long). When this happens, coolant seepage into the crankcase is the result, often with some rather expensive damage occuring. Been there, seen that. Several times. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-11          30876

Just testing the waters here but I haven't seen that type of a problem in other wet sleeve engines. I know for the brands we normally sell both of the o-rings are the same. Is this unique to Deere? ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-08-11          30879

The most common cause of unusual diesel smoke is that it is burning some unusual fuel. If it were mine, I'd drain the tank completely, put in some fresh #1 diesel fuel from a known good source - maybe an automotive service station that sells a lot of diesel, add some injector cleaner, and run the motor for an hour. See if it still smokes. Sometimes they will get oily in the exhaust pipe too...but this should clean it out. If still concerned, do a compression test. This will tell you a little bit more about the engine. I'd suspect it is a little low, but some older engines will burn a little oil and do so for many years. Rings are always hard to tell about. A broken one requires attention, but more commmonly the rings and valve guides will just be worn. A diesel that does so will have lower compression and be harder to start in cold weather.....requires a block heater.....but it could do good work for a long time. Do you have any idea how many hours are on this tractor? And what the rest of the history was? Just sitting for a year or two with a can on the exhaust pipe or in a shed shouldn't cause any problem for a good engine. On the other hand, sitting outside without the exhaust pipe covered can cause enough water to get into a diesel in a year to cause quite a bit of engine damage. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-11          30881

Roger I believe the fuel could cause the blue smoke out the exhaust. The fuel I don't believe would have the ability to increase the blow-by unless long term use has caused damage. It still has some merit to dig further on the causes of the problem. I have seen engines discharge oil out the breather and still run enough for the chores they were needed to do. I don't believe for any manufacturer that it should be doing it at 1800 hours. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2001-08-11          30882

I think roger has some excellent ez things to try. I never thought about old fuel being the problem. New fuel, clean filters and put some cleaner in may take care of things. The bug in the crankcase vent is a good thing to check too. Never know when something may have crawled up in it and died! I sometimes put out blue smoke when that happens to me! ;)

Todd

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Kenny

2001-08-11          30883

Bruce, Another thought crossed my mind while reading the other responses. I have seen the air filter clogged so tight that an engine will draw air and oil up past the rings causing it to smoke and burn oil. An easy check but be sure to check if it has a secondary filter inside of the primary one. ....

Blue smoke burning oil

View my Photos
Bruce W.

2001-08-13          30921

I want to thank everyone for all the useful info. I've had a chance to start "working" the tractor and going over everything. So far, I've added Rislone to the oil, injector cleaner to the fuel, cleaned the fuel filter bowl and filled the tank with fresh fuel. I've run the tractor for about 2 hours and it seems like it is smoking a little less. I still have to change all the filters and oil. It runs great, I think I just need to keep working it under load and finish changing filters, etc., along with check out all the things you guys have suggested. Thanks again! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login